New Crocheter Question

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Feb 14, 2013 12:44 PM

I am just starting out and was wondering, would it be easier for me to see my stitches so that I can count them to make sure I am getting the same number on each row if I use a thicker yarn rather than a thinner yarn? I am just learning the basic stitches and was curious if thicker yarn with the appropriate sized hook might make it easier for me to examine my stitches, see what I've done wrong, etc... I don't want to go out and buy it if it won't help.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Feb 16, 2013 1:05 PM

I am going to reply to my own post to help others who may be starting. I went ahead and got a fat wool yarn and a 9 hook. I have to say that it makes all of the difference in the world. The yarn has give and is easy to work with, and I can see each stitch. I was adding stitches with the thinner yarn, but the fat yarn makes it easy for me to see each stitch and helps me to understand what I am supposed to be doing. It is really fabulous for learning with. I make far fewer mistakes, and can understand what I did wrong when I do make one. Plus, progress is so much faster with the heftier yarn and bigger hook. 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Feb 16, 2013 1:06 PM

Plus, I can clearly see the difference between single, half double, double, etc... It helps me to understand the differences and what each stitch might be good for.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 75
LI Roe wrote
on Feb 16, 2013 3:13 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of crochet!!! Glad you were able to plunge in and try it with the heavier yarn and larger hook. Just have fun and most importantly, don't let it get the best of you. If you find yourself stuck, take a break. I have been crocheting since I was a pre-teen and now am 61 and there are times I just let it sit there. Not that often but it happens.

What I would suggest is, especially at the beginning, not to use the novelty yarns (like fun fur or Homespun) right away. Those can be frustrating,

Keep us posted on your progress.

LI Roe

Not Ranked
Posts 2
TrkDrvsQueen wrote
on Feb 17, 2013 3:35 PM

Sisterfunkhaus,

I don't really think the difference in the thickness of yarn will help you count stitches. I would practice in lighter and brighter colors of #4 weight. If you use dark colors to start, make sure you have a very bright light over your shoulder!

Crocheting with smaller thread-like yarns vs. the thicker yarns I have found a big difference in my own work. Therefore my suggestion to you is to start with weight #4 and very light and bright colors.

The crochet hook sizes are best left to the crocheter to discover what works best. For practice I would make a sampler with each size hook that I have. Then place the sample in a plastic bag and write what you did and with what yarn and hook.

Hope this helps!

TrkDrvsQueen

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS