killing acrylic yarn

This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
gigiskiddos wrote
on Mar 23, 2013 5:26 PM

I have begun to crochet again after quite a few years away & am having to relearn much of it.    Earlier today I was browsing different crochet sites & came upon an article about killing acrylic yarn.   I have been crocheting small items with cotton & acrylic yarns until I am up to speed again & I really don't like the feel of the acrylic.   When I read about killing pieces made with acrylic yarn it mentioned how soft it was & how well it draped.  That made me think that I might like using the acrylic if I could change the texture.  My question is, are there patterns for items that are deliberately killed not only to block, but to attain the new texture?   I have tried to find some on the internet but am not having much success.   Thanks in advance for any help.  Becca

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 516
Char55 wrote
on Mar 23, 2013 6:50 PM

All acrylic yarns are NOT alike. Today's acrylic yarns are NOT your Granma's acrylic yarns.

Caron Simply Soft has a beautifully soft, silky texture...as does Bernat Satin, and RedHeart Baby TLC...and probably several other brands I have not tried... No "killing" needed.

Yarns like RedHeart Classic and TLC essentials seem to have the old, stiff, scratchy texture to them that is generally associated with the "acrylic" label.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
anika519 wrote
on Mar 23, 2013 9:28 PM

You are absolutely correct!  I prefer to go to the store to feel the yarn now so I make sure I get a soft one.  A way around that, I've found, is too wash the final product and use a hypoallergenic fabric softener.  It seems to really do a great job softening the yarn without compromising the final product.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on May 30, 2013 10:23 AM

I used to use Caron Simply Soft, but I found that the frustration of having a thin, unraveling yarn plus a guaranteed knotted mess pulled from inside every skein was no longer worth the price for me. Especially when I take great pride in the items I make. I have switched to Bernat Satin. Sure, you get less for the same price as Caron, but the quality and durability of Bernat Satin outweighs that for me.

You can see my work here: http://missedstitches.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 516
Char55 wrote
on May 31, 2013 8:02 AM

I take great pride in the items I make, too, and my items made with Caron Yarn hold up just fine after many washings.

While there are times when you get problems with Caron Simply Soft, I'll stick with it. Bernat Satin is good; I like it; but you only get half as much yarn per skein. I'm usually on a tight budget and have to get the most for my money.

No yarn is without its share of quirky skeins. I've had problems with Bernat Baby yarns in the past...had to throw out 2 FULL SKEINS because within the skein the yarn would go from super bulky to sewing thread thin and back again...it was supposed to be 3 weight baby yarn...absolutely no consistency. Apparently all yarns have occasional problems with quality control.

FYI, all you crocheters, Spinrite Yarns in Canada, the makers of Bernat yarns, now owns Caron Yarns. Caron yarns will continue to be made in North Carolina...but it's now all the same parent company.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Imajean wrote
on May 1, 2014 2:58 PM

I am a crocheter and a knitter.  I refuse to use red heart yarn that is stiff and scratchy.  Their new soft yarns are very nice but my most favorite soft yarn is called, I love this yarn.  It is sold by hobby lobby stores.  Their striped yarns are beautiful!  I make all my afghans with their striped yarns.  I also use Vanna  white yarn, lion brand, Caron and a few others.  I teach both crochet and knit in the winter months.  In the winter months I make 25 to 50 new items and either use them as gifts or sell them.  I have made circular afghans for my whole family and haven't decided what to make for them next.  They are all wearing my hats, scarves and mittens already!  By now you have probably guessed that I live in the north woods where the snow is very deep!  We are in the up of Michigan and we live on the sunny shores of lake Gogebic..  Of course the sun has been very absent lately.    Imajean

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS