This yarn, these patterns, ugh!

This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Oct 7, 2013 9:57 PM

Has anyone worked with Buttercup by Red Heart? I bought a skein and now it doesn't want to work with my hook Angry So do you guys have any helpful hints or thoughts or anything useful at all?

Random vent: how is it that once the perfect color for that project you've been sitting on is found, you hate that project pattern and every pattern relating to it? Seriously, I have no idea what to do with this stuff now because the sweater is suddenly the ugliest effing sweater I've ever seen. Grr Super Angry Crying

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Oct 8, 2013 9:42 AM

I found it challenging to work with too.   Don't ditch your project --- substitute yarn that will work for u,   or change up the hook size or use an easier stitch. (adjust ur gauge.)   As for buttercup I made a lofty scarf out of mine using a super large hook.  I could see my stitches better.  Turned out great.   You might be able to crochet with two strands -- one buttercup and one contrasting or complimentary yarn.  It would make it easy to see stitches and give it more body depending on what u do.  Or just donate it.  Frees up guilt of needing to use.   Yarns, patterns and projects  are like shoes.  Don't want to waste time trying to make it fit only to be miserable. There are sooooo many exciting options that are a perfect fit.  Happy hooking. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
tamueller Big Smile [:D] wrote
on Oct 8, 2013 10:37 AM

I used Buttercup to knit a very soft baby blanket that came out great.  The thickness of the yarn made the blanket soft and fluffy and hid any uneven tension or mistakes I may have made.  When I tried to crochet with the leftover yarn it was miserable.  I couldn't see my stitches to insert the hook in the right place and the little bit I finished was lumpy and shaped odd.  Maybe you can try a knitting pattern or pass on the yarn to someone who knits. 

Life's too short, don't waste your time finishing something you hate.  Either get rid of the yarn or find a different fun project to work on.  (One suggestion for the ugly sweater - maybe a gift for the wonderful politicians who think that shutting down the government is the way to get things done.)  

Whatever you decide, keep smiling!  

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 71
LI Roe wrote
on Oct 8, 2013 4:55 PM

I haven't worked with Buttercup though I have started patterns with a particular colors of yarn and just didn't like it. So I would just change out either the yarn or the pattern. Some yarns just need a certain pattern and you will know when you find it.

Also some yarns are best used with a larger hook or simple stitch, one example that comes to mind is Homespun. I agree with everyone also, adding another strand works wonders, or changing to knit (if you knit).

Just don't let it get the best of you, it is not worth it, crocheting is supposed to be fun!!!

LI Roe

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Oct 11, 2013 8:01 PM

Good news guys- my mojo is back! Big Smile I made a couple of adjustments to the sweater and it's coming along wonderfully (so far)! Although I must say, your suggestion was brilliant @tamueller! Hopefully, I'll be able to post the end result in the coming weeks. As for the Buttercup yarn...I'm going to try all of your ideas and if it doesn't work out, I will attempt to hunt down a knitter.

Thanks everyone, gold stars for you all! Star Star Star

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS