The Official Network Shawlette Crochet-Along

This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 427
Marcy Smith wrote
on Oct 23, 2013 12:18 PM

In the Accessories 2014 special issue of Interweave Crochet, Annette Petavy designed the lovely Network Shawlette with intriguing shaping that expands as you work, kind of like your network of Facebook friends.

The shawl's foundation row is the side that drapes along the shoulders. Usually, when you start here, the work gradually decreases. Not so with this shawlette! It actually increases, to create a luxurious ripply swath of fabric toward the outer edge, ending in delightful blooms at the edge. The pattern is only thirty rows long, but every row is different, for a spectacular adventure. If you're working on this in the evenings, plan on crocheting about one row an evening, unless you're particularly speedy at working laceweight. 

Yarn used in magazine: Valley Yarns 8/2 Tencel (distributed by WEBS)

The Official Network Shawlette CAL with Marcy Smith

Description Inspired by the tropical Euphorbia punicea, this long, slender shawlette is a network of lace shapes and punctuated by blooms.

Finished Size About 55" wide, 9" deep (excluding flower buds) after blocking.

Yarn Valley Yarns 8/2 Tencel (distributed by WEBS) (100% lyocell; 3360 yds/lb): adobe, 1 cone. Project requires approx. 660 yd [600 m] of laceweight yarn.

Hook Size D/3 (3.25 mm). Adjust hook size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.

Notions Yarn needle; blocking pins.

Gauge 30 sts and 12 rows = 4" in mesh patt.

Schedule

Oct 28-Nov 1: Rows 2-7

Nov 3-9:  Rows 8-14

Nov 10-16: Rows 15-21.

Nov 17-23: Rows 22-30.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
NandiBC wrote
on Feb 22, 2014 10:19 PM

I am so annoyed with myself for not knowing about this CAL. I subscribe to Interweave Crochet and it was driving me crazy because I had seen the shawl and pattern at my LYS in Interweave Crochet (or so I thought) and from experience I know that my LYS gets their copies (way) before I do. When I finally got my copy I still couldn't find it! So went back to LYS only to discover the pattern was in the Accessories mag. Anyway, once that was all sorted out and I finally had my own Crochet Accessories mag I had a chance to study the pattern and consider what yarn I had on hand to use. To make a long story short I ended up buying a half pound cone of Brown Sheep Fine in color CF860 Sedona Red. I spent a long evening doing a 364 stitch sc foundation chain and marking it every 30 stitches and counting, and dbl-checking the count. I admire Annette Petavy and subscribe to her blog. She can dissect a stitch with incredible patience and insight. I am on row 3 and loving it, though set it aside so I could participate in the 2014 Ravellenic games. I can't wait til I finish it and listen to my girlfriends oo and ah over it. Still wish I had known about the CAL though. From the looks of it I could have had very personal attention from you! I will post a picture once I am done so others can see it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
NandiBC wrote
on Mar 6, 2014 3:17 PM

Silly as it seems, I'm replying to my own post.  I didn't want to start a new thread that no one is reading anyway. I'm on row 8 and LOVING this pattern.  Love that each row is different. Love using the Brown Sheep Fine. Love that this lace pattern is not your mama's lace pattern. Love that I will have a new scarf once the weather decides to warn up.  You crocheters out there should try this pattern.  Don't make what everyone else is making. Make this shawlette and turn heads.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
sacraig wrote
on Mar 7, 2014 8:14 AM

I just found this also and plan on making ...now what yarn..yeah

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 427
Marcy Smith wrote
on Mar 7, 2014 11:56 AM

Welcome! I used the yarn used in the magazine & noted above. ALSO, sacraig, I started with foundation single crochet instead of chaining 364. (The end of the pattern calls for working a sc edge across this long edge, so you just skip that when you get to it, because you've already done it!)

More tips & pix to come!

Marcy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
NandiBC wrote
on Mar 10, 2014 1:20 PM

I also did a single crochet foundation chain and plan on doing what Marcy did and finish off the edges of the scarf on three sides with a single crochet stitch all around.  If you have never learned the foundation chain this would be the ideal time to give it a try. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
NandiBC wrote
on Mar 20, 2014 7:45 AM

I LOVE this pattern and I love how it's coming out with the Brown Sheep Cotton Fine yarn. The yarn is crisp, but not stiff and has lovely drape. I estimate the finished width will be around 16 inches and the length is 76"; I expect blocking will increase these measurements. I am 5'10" and this is good news for me.  The increased width and length is due to my use of a fingering weight yarn rather than the lace weight as called for in the pattern. I wanted JUST the right yarn, and the Brown Sheep Cotton Fine is the BOMB!!! I am just finishing up row 21 and really looking forward to working the "flowers" again.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 427
Marcy Smith wrote
on Mar 21, 2014 5:49 PM

Hi NandiBC! Yes, your shawlette will probably be more of a shawl. Fabulous! So you're just about here:

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
NandiBC wrote
on Mar 21, 2014 9:03 PM

Here is a picture I posted on Ravelry a day or so ago. (Yeah, I was at work, on lunch break, in an empty office that gets good light for taking pictures.) My work is doing the same as yours, Marcy. it's pulling inward on the short edge. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 427
Marcy Smith wrote
on Mar 21, 2014 9:48 PM

Our shawls could be sisters! The edge eases out in the blocking. But, it is very dynamic while you're crocheting it!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
NandiBC wrote
on Mar 23, 2014 11:27 AM
  • It just dawned on me that the gradual increases in this pattern have doubled the row length… and the first row started with a 364 chain. (Don’t let that number scare you!!) You might be wondering how an increase from 364 to apx. 720 stitches could only just now “dawn” on me? Well, we’re using a lace weight yarn, or in my case, a slender, slinky fingering weight yarn. The point being… it doesn’t take up much room to begin with. And, we are creating a filet/mesh type fabric which is more “air” than yarn. Am wagering I’ll be making 24 flowers in these final rows, doubling the 12 I made along the shawlette’s length at the beginning of the pattern. Will find out soon. Am now on row 23.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
NandiBC wrote
on Mar 23, 2014 11:31 AM

Hey Marcy, I've been meaning to say how nice it is that you've taken an interest in this CAL from last year. Did you actually finish yours last Fall? Can we see it?

And, I've been meaning to respond to your comment how our shawls could be sisters, presumably because we're using a similar colored yarn. Can I be Big Sister since my shawl is bigger? I've been the baby my WHOLE life, so here's my big chance! 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 427
Marcy Smith wrote
on Mar 24, 2014 6:06 PM

Hi NandiBC! Yes, you can be the big sister!

Yes, I did finish my shawl last fall. I was on a mission. But, I do appreciate that patterns can't always be done right away, so I like to be there when you are able to crochet it!

I gave the shawl to my daughter for Christmas. Photos are on my other computer :( but here's a glimpse of the final row.

I'll post the final pic as soon as I can roust it out! Also, I have several detail pix that I can post if you get stumped at a particular point, so just let me know!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
NandiBC wrote
on Mar 24, 2014 8:04 PM

That looks really nice. The buds add a very nice feature to this pattern. Designers are such clever people.... artists really.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 427
Marcy Smith wrote
on Mar 25, 2014 3:27 PM

Here's my daughter styling the shawl babushka-style. She's happier than she looks :)

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS