Please can someone help me decipher a crochet shawl pattern?

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Ariadne99 wrote
on Nov 29, 2013 5:23 AM

This is so frustrating! I've found a crochet shawl pattern online that I like, and I want to make it for my sis-in-law, who is recovering from breast cancer. I have bought the gorgeous Manos del Uruguay yarn, but when I got started I realised that the pattern is written in non-standard crochet terms. I got to about Row 3 then got stuck because I couldn't work out which stitch I was meant to be working into. (It uses UK crochet terminology.)

There are V stitches (that appear to be two trebles – or double crochets in US terminology – separated by a chain), but the pattern doesn't make it clear which stitch you are working into, as it's not written in standard terms. So confusing! I would be SO SO grateful if someone could help. I've tried posting a request on the blogsite but sadly no response. Thanks in advance for any help Smile

This is the pattern in its entirety:

http://www.milobo.wordpress.com 1 amended 20/04/08

Carmen’s Shawl

This shawl is worked from the top down, increasing every row until it is the desired size. It can be worked

with any yarn weight.

I used 300 yards of DK weight yarn (Manos Silk Blend) and a 7mm hook to make this sample shawl. It’s

approximately 50 inches wide and 21 inches deep.

This pattern is for non-commercial use only, and may not be reproduced

without permission.

Abbreviations

Tr = UK Treble crochet = US Double Crochet

V stitch = Skip 1 Tr, Tr Ch1 Tr into same stitch/space, Skip next Tr

V into V = V stitch into Ch 1 space of V stitch in previous row

V stitch increase = Tr into 1st Tr of V stitch, V into V, Tr into 2nd Treble of V stitch

Turing Chain = TCh

Pattern

Foundation Row: Ch 19, Tr, Ch 1 Tr (one V stitch made) into 5th Ch from hook, miss

one Ch (Tr, Ch 1 Tr into next Ch, miss one Ch) 6 times, Tr into last Ch, place

markers into 2nd, 4th and 6th V stitches, turn

Row 1: Ch3, Tr into base of TCh, (V into V, V stitch increase into marked V, move

marker to centre of V st incr) 3 times V stitch into last V, 2 Tr into top of TCh, turn

http://www.milobo.wordpress.com 2 amended 20/04/08

Row 2: Ch 3, TR into base of TCh, ( Tr into next Tr, V stitch into next V stitch, Tr into

next Tr, V st incr, replace marker into centre of V st incr) x 3, Tr into next Tr, V stitch

onto next V, Tr into next Tr, 2 Tr into top of TCh, Turn

On subsequent rows, continue to move markers up to the corresponding stitch in the

new row

Row 3: Ch3, Do not work into base of Tr (V st into next Tr, V st into next V, V st into

next Tr, V st into marked V st incr) x 3, V st into next Tr, V st into next V, V st into

next Tr, Tr into top to TCh, Turn

Row 4: Ch 3, Tr into base of TCh,( V stitch into each V to marker, V st increase) x 3,

V st into each V to end, 2 Tr into TCh, turn

Row 5: Ch 3, T into base of TCh, (Tr into next Tr, V st into V to next marker, Tr into

Tr before marked V st, V st increase) x 3, Tr into next Tr, V into V to end, Tr into last

st, 2 TR into TCh, Turn

Row 6: Ch3, Do not work into base of Tr, (V st into next Tr, V into each V stitch

before marker, V st into next Tr, V st into marked st) x 3, V st into next Tr, V into each

V stitch to end working one V st into Tr after last V stitch and one Tr into top of TCh,

Turn

Repeat last 3 rows until shawl is desired size.

Border

Ch1, double crochet (= single crochet in US terminology) into each stitch and Ch 1

space to end.

Fasten off, weave in ends and block.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
yourstruly85 wrote
on Dec 6, 2013 12:59 AM

a conversion chart  http://www.yarnfwd.com/main/crochet.html

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Ariadne99 wrote
on Dec 10, 2013 6:26 AM

Hi Yourstruly,

That's really kind, but it's not the UK/US terminology I'm having trouble with. I'm quite a seasoned crocheter, not a beginner at all, but I just don't get what she means by "V into V", and in many places she doesn't tell you which stitch you're meant to be working into. If anyone out there can have a close look at the pattern and decipher what she means, I'd be really grateful! : /

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Ariadne99 wrote
on Dec 10, 2013 6:26 AM

Hi Yourstruly,

That's really kind, but it's not the UK/US terminology I'm having trouble with. I'm quite a seasoned crocheter, not a beginner at all, but I just don't get what she means by "V into V", and in many places she doesn't tell you which stitch you're meant to be working into. If anyone out there can have a close look at the pattern and decipher what she means, I'd be really grateful! : /

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
shertasha wrote
on Dec 10, 2013 10:29 AM

I think she's saying to do a V stitch in the unmarked V stitch in the row below your current row and V stitch increases in the marked ones.  Did I make sense?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Ariadne99 wrote
on Dec 12, 2013 6:39 AM

Hi Shertasha,

Yes, I think you're right. I've looked at a whole load of online V stitch tutorials and it's beginning to make more sense now, and you're right - it's V stitch into the unmarked V and increases into the marked ones :D

Thanks for taking the time to look at it and help me, much appreciated!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Ariadne99 wrote
on Dec 12, 2013 6:39 AM

Hi Shertasha,

Yes, I think you're right. I've looked at a whole load of online V stitch tutorials and it's beginning to make more sense now, and you're right - it's V stitch into the unmarked V and increases into the marked ones :D

Thanks for taking the time to look at it and help me, much appreciated!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
shertasha wrote
on Dec 12, 2013 9:14 AM

Your welcome.  I glad it helped. 

Sherrie

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS