New to Crochet(have learned chain and slip stitch but thats it)

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
caters wrote
on Dec 9, 2013 9:14 PM

I am a knitter wanting to crochet. Any advice as to how I should learn stitches other than the chain and slip stitch that I have learned already.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
BSBcrochet wrote
on Dec 10, 2013 10:02 AM

There are an almost infinite number of places you could look to advance in skill from where you are. The library is a great place to start. Many libraries even have stitch clubs for both knitters and crocheter's. This is a great resource and almost always free. The other great thing about those stitch clubs is that there are usually seasoned stitcher's in attendance who are most always more than happy to offer help when needed. The library almost always has a vast array of "how to" books for reference. The best way to start is to determine your learning style. Do you learn by reading? Do pictures help? If yes, then a book might be your best bet. If you like to see "stitching in action" then I would suggest you head to you tube and search for how to videos on how to crochet. (If you are left handed, specify such in your search) If you watch one video that isn't clear, or read one book that isn't clear, move on to another. Do an internet search on crochet instruction or on how to crochet. There are many instructional dvd's to be found online as well. If you have learned to chain stitch, proceed next to single crochet. Practice each stitch a bit before moving on. When you first get started, learning how to properly hold your work and how to maintain constant and uniform tension is half the battle. Don't  worry. It will all feel quite awkward at first, but you'll begin to feel comfortable in no time with practice. It really is quite easy. It only looks difficult. Next comes learning to read patterns. I wish I could say that all patterns are written the same but they are not. Even experienced stitcher's run into problems at times or come across a pattern that is "clear as mud' to them. When that happens, hopefully you can find someone to help you. Many times another stitcher can look at a pattern you are stuck on and can understand the meaning immediately. If not, keep trying. I personally pray and ask God for help and understanding when I get stuck. I have found that most people who stitch are very nice. Once you learn and become "old hat" at the craft, always remember to try and help someone just starting out if you can, as you were once a beginner as well. Pay it forward...I believe that is called. I wish you the best in your crochet endeavor. You said that you knit. I would like to learn that skill. Perhaps I will. In the mean time, if ever I can help, just ask. I may not have the answer, but I will certainly try to help if I can. I have and still do need help myself from time to time. Happy stitching!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,275
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Dec 10, 2013 5:37 PM

You will find some great free eBooks in our Free Resources section. Many of them are easy patterns.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
caters wrote
on Dec 10, 2013 11:10 PM

I mean the order I should learn them.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS