Why Can't I Do It?!

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Tracy O. wrote
on Jan 3, 2014 6:12 PM

I'm an intelligent woman. I'm capable. But can someone tell me why I can make gorgeous square afghans and not able to make any type of clothing, booties etc. from a pattern?! They NEVER turn out. I can obviously read a pattern since I can make an afghan in various stitches. I want to do so much more, but don't even try anymore. I look forward to getting your opinions! Thanks! Tongue Tied

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,217
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jan 3, 2014 6:49 PM

What turns out wrong when you try to crochet garments and accessories, is the size wrong, the proportions?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
jeanicasso wrote
on Jan 3, 2014 9:28 PM

Folowing written patterns can be very tricky.  Always make a gauge swatch, use the same yarn and crochet hook size. When you make your swatch be sure to count the number of stitches per inch across the row and the number of rows completed per inch. This is very important to ensure you get a garment that fits. Follow each row instructions carefully. Make sure you have the number of stitches completed. Your pattern should have that info after each written row(or round). I like patterns that provide a stitch guide, they are much easier to follow.  I woud start with a beginners pattern for a simple scarf or placemat. And as you know there are plenty of tutorials on You Tube. I hope this helps. Jeanine

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Tracy O. wrote
on Jan 4, 2014 4:04 AM

They just aren't made correctly. For example, with booties, I do ok with the sole made in an oval round. The problem starts when I start to build up the sides. I'm not real clear about where to start building the sides and top? Part of the problem too is joining different sections because my stitches don't always line up. My tension on my stitches is very tight so everything I crochet is very heavy. I don't know if this info will help you.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Tracy O. wrote
on Jan 4, 2014 4:07 AM

I didn't realize YouTube had videos. I'll definitely check those out. Any other thoughts based on what I described in another reply is appreciated.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Rustyharas wrote
on Jan 4, 2014 10:57 AM

Hi Tracy, poor you it does sound frustrating.  All I can do is offer my sympathy and a few hopefully constructive comments on what I THINK is your problem with the bootees  When working up the sides of 3D shapes (bowls, bags, bootees, amigurumi toys) you still crochet into the same two strands of the crochet stitch on the previous row, but as you continue the sides will start to form - because you aren't increasing every round the work won't want to stay flat.  

I had completely forgotten how to crochet when I started making stuff a few years ago - I taught myself completely from YouTube it is such a great resource.  Real time videos, you can stop and start while you copy each part of the pattern. My first project was a hat, row by row with the video.  

Best of luck

Rusty

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS