Making a carrier for knitting loom kit. Need help figuring out a few things.

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
OtakuMom1 wrote
on Jan 6, 2014 8:01 AM

I need some guidance on this project that I'm starting, and am hoping that with some guidance from those of you who have started projects from scratch you can give me some help on figuring the pieces out before I go shopping for supplies.

I decided that I wanted to try my hand at knit looming, so I bought a Martha Stewart Knit and Weave Loom Kit.  I love using it so far, but one of my bugaboo is storing the pieces.  The case it came in is kind of flimsy, so it didn't make a good storage case, so I decided to crochet my own.  I've measured out all the pieces and have a paper pattern to start from, but I'm having trouble with a few details on the materials themselves.

These are the questions that I have.  Answers on any of these are greatly appreciated.

1) How do I figure out how much yarn I'll need for this? The case itself before pockets will be 31" x 17" flat, and will include 12 pockets ranging from 6" x 1" to 10 5/8" x 5"

2) Can I use worsted weight yarn, or will I need something sturdier? My other idea is to make the case itself in six pieces (4 panels plus 2 spine pieces) and insert something like plastic canvas or sturdy cardboard or something really stiff to give it some support.  The weight of the pieces itself don't even weigh a pound, and lie pretty flat when the pegs aren't inserted.

3) Right now, my idea is to make it like a binder, but as I was typing this I was also thinking that it might not be a bad idea to turn it into a bag with similar dimensions.  Thoughts?

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,324
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jan 6, 2014 12:42 PM

This sounds like a fabulous idea, and I love the idea of making it a bag. Worsted weight yarn should work just fine. I would look for a yarn with a good twist and a strong fiber. Acrylic or cotton would be two good choices. As for figuring out how much yarn you would need, I would suggest working a gauge swatch, measure the swatch, then ravel the swatch and measure the yarn. Then do a little math to figure the area of the bag or binder you are making. I've found there is often a fair bit of math in crochet.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS