The Official Buttercream Shawl CAL

This post has 27 Replies | 7 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Mar 20, 2014 5:23 PM

Thank you for those dimensions! That is very helpful. Unfortunately, what that helps me decide is that this silk is just not right for this project. It is closer to a light fingering weight (620 yd/100g) and it's just too heavy. 

My swatch with the E hook at row 7 is already those dimensions, without blocking! (Swatch in photo is through row 10, with hook for scale.)  Also I think the fabric just looks too heavy. I know blocking would open it up, but I still don't think it would gain that lovely gossamer delicacy that I fell in love with in the photos.  If I went down in hook size to achieve gauge, it would just look bulkier & less lacy I think.
I love this pattern, I want to do it justice.  And I love this silk yarn so much, I want to find a pattern that makes it sing. They are just not a good fit together.  So I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good companion for my mohair, and enjoy watching everyone's progress in the meantime!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
kmtm wrote
on Mar 21, 2014 9:51 AM

I saw this on Ravelry before I received my copy of Interweave Crochet, Spring 2014 and just loved it.  Already had beautiful pale pink and ivory yarns to use.  I waited patiently knowing that my issue would pop up on my Kindle one morning.  And, then, there it was...  Need to catch up a little as I am behind in the sections for no other reason than being too busy otherwise!  I hope to spend a lot of time on this beautiful piece over this weekend.

Karen

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 21, 2014 10:30 PM

Well these things happen! Good thing you swatched!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 21, 2014 10:32 PM

kmtm:

I saw this on Ravelry before I received my copy of Interweave Crochet, Spring 2014 and just loved it.  Already had beautiful pale pink and ivory yarns to use.  I waited patiently knowing that my issue would pop up on my Kindle one morning.  And, then, there it was...  Need to catch up a little as I am behind in the sections for no other reason than being too busy otherwise!  I hope to spend a lot of time on this beautiful piece over this weekend.

Karen

Pale pink and ivory is going to be so delicate and luxurious, can't wait to see! This has proven to be a great relaxing weekend project for me, happy crocheting :)

Not Ranked
Posts 2
tristasue885 wrote
on Mar 21, 2014 10:35 PM

I love this pattern and think it's beautiful. I'm having trouble finding the yarn though. Can anyone suggest a good web site where I can find this brand of yarn?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 41
on Mar 31, 2014 3:38 AM

A little late to the party ... but I wanted to jump in and say hi!

I am the designer of the pattern, and very flattered that you all want to make it!

As for yarn choices, any laceweight linen and laceweight mohair yarns would work. It was a great pleasure to work with the yarns I was sent, but it is certainly possible to use other yarns.

However, as HoopSkirtLady discovered, you will not get the same airy result with a thicker yarn. I do hope you will find another use for your gorgeous silk yarn!

Happy crocheting!

http://www.annettepetavy.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 31, 2014 1:10 PM

Hi Annette, thanks for stopping by the CAL! It's a really wonderful and easy to follow pattern. Here's an update of where I am at the moment. My favorite part seems to be the transition rows, it's so fun to see the contrast in the two yarns! How is it going for everyone else?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
SandyG1001 wrote
on Mar 31, 2014 8:28 PM

Here's a photo of my Buttercream Shawl. I am trying to use stash yarn so I used what I had on hand. So it was Malabrigo lace yarn for the linen sections and Cascade Kid Seta for the mohair sections. I loved making this pattern and I thought it went quickly. I didn't get started until March 25th but I was able to complete the shawl by March 28th.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Apr 1, 2014 10:38 AM

SandyG1001:

Here's a photo of my Buttercream Shawl. I am trying to use stash yarn so I used what I had on hand. So it was Malabrigo lace yarn for the linen sections and Cascade Kid Seta for the mohair sections. I loved making this pattern and I thought it went quickly. I didn't get started until March 25th but I was able to complete the shawl by March 28th.

This looks really REALLY wonderful!! I like the variegated shades in the lace section and the drape looks great too! You worked this up so quickly, I'm impressed:) Did you block your shawl at all? I'm wondering whether mine will even need it... maybe a quick steam.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us and isn't it great when you can match the perfect stash yarn to the perfect project?! 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
SandyG1001 wrote
on Apr 1, 2014 11:14 AM

When I find a project I love I just can't put it down until it is finished and this was one of those projects. I did block the shawl to open up the design in the linen sections and to make the top edges of the linen and mohair sections uniform. Here's a photo of the shawl when it was being blocked.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
teachnkids wrote
on Apr 5, 2014 3:24 PM

SandyG1001, your shawl is beautiful! 

I finally got my yarn a couple of days ago, but have been so busy that I haven't been able to even post a picture. Going to swatch tonight. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Apr 7, 2014 11:36 AM

teachnkids: Oooh I almost went with this combination of colors... I think it's going to be a fabulous combination for this project!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Apr 11, 2014 4:14 PM

I finished my shawl and I'm so happy with it! That edging took me a while :)
Here it is during the blocking process, I used steam and was happy with the results. It really did help to open up the linen.
The shawl on Bettie, our office mannequin :) What a lovely drape!
Another way to wear the shawl. I think this is going to be a great transitional piece as Summer is quickly approaching. I have found that layers are a necessity in Colorado... very sunny and warm during the day but gets chilly as soon as the sun goes down. This wrap is easy to throw in your bag for a classy piece to keep your shoulders cozy!

How is everyone else doing with the Buttercream Shawl? Is it bad that I'm already wanting to make another one?!

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS