Crochet Thread ID Help PLEASE!

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Mar 6, 2014 12:51 AM

I'm so glad I found this site and I hope someone here can help me.  I noticed, going by posting dates, that it is a very active site so fingers crossed!

I have been looking for a type of thread for years and cannot find it.  I've gone to specialty and boutique shops (quite willing, at this point, to pay whatever they are charging for this thread).  I've been all over the internet as well---all to no avail.

My great-grandmother used it to make a few doilies (only one of which I have) but before you roll your collective eyes, she did make it in the mid-1960s so I'm not too far down the the rabbit hole, I hope.  The thread has a synthetic quality to it--almost a nylon.  It feels like satin/silk and moves so nicely--in the way a synthetic versus cotton would.  And it's appearance is a muted shine (I know how oxymoronic that sounds but that's the best way I can think of to describe it.  It does sort of reflect the light but not as brightly as say a nylon thread would).  It must have some sort of cotton in it because the crocheted knots hold and don't slip around but the movement of the piece as a whole is almost liquid.

I've tried nylons and Cro-Sheen but they are either too nylon-y and don't hold their shape (let alone amend themselves to blocking) or are too cotton-y and refuse to be silky.  

I am hoping someone on here has some sort of idea about what I'm talking about or can direct me towards a product that can I can use to reproduce my own (admittedly ridiculous, all-over-the-place) Grandma-like doilies and table clothes.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any help you might be able to give me.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 518
Char55 wrote
on Mar 6, 2014 6:56 PM

It could be DMC Cebelia Cotton thread. I've used it as an edging on baby Christening sets and it is smooth and glossy.

Find it here: http://www.marymaxim.com/dmc-cebelia-crochet-thread-size-no-10.html

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS