Addie Heron's Purse to Bead-Crochet

This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
JaneanE wrote
on May 18, 2014 2:12 PM

I bought the Sept/Oct 2013 Piecework magazine for the sole purpose of this pattern.  I just love it.  However, Southmaid crochet cotton has disappeared in my area completely and the manufacturer doesn't acknowledge this product at all.  The purse frame isn't available in Silver only gold, and I find the pattern a bit perplexing.  The seed beads it calls for aren't available in the area either.  I have substituted them for what I could find here.

I've been crocheting for over 20 years but still had a hard time getting my gauge right with a comparable crochet thread.  Also it instructs to turn work over and crochet into both the top and bottom of the foundation chain.  I find it difficult to see my stitches with the black thread and keeping my stitch count consistent.  I'm only practicing at this point with some Aunt Lydia"s, I'm waiting for some decent DMC to come in but, I would imagine I would have the same difficulty with it.  What I find odd, is that I don't join at any point, I'm assuming that it works in a spiral, but as I said, my stitch count is always off.

Any suggestions would be helpful.  I don't want to start this project off on the wrong foot.

Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Sabin.wi wrote
on Jul 16, 2014 1:18 PM

Hi jJaneanE

i have just noticed your post. I know it's a bit late, but hopefully not too late.yes this bag in crocheted in the round. The best is to cast on in a different colour, then crochet one side in to the front and the other side. Use the baseline of your front stitches. It's the same when knitting. When done you just unpick the temporary chain. Have you ever looked at the bee keepers quilt ? Use double pointed needles and cast on on either needle. This method uses 3 needles. In this case you could use the new type of crochet needles which you could extend like circular needles.

i personally would use 3 of the same hooks and do it that way, or crochet in the round, by placing markers to know which end you are at. I read the pattern, and it is not easy described. Off course you could crochet each part separately and then just sew together on the wrong side. Turn inside out and it will be perfect and maybe a lot easier.

have you thought of mercerised cotton. It is more stiffer and holds its shape better. I have used it in white a lot never in black. I do like the sheen even without the beads. You use a fine hook, approx. the same size when you are beading.

i hope this will be of any help.

kind regards and good luck

sabine

Not Ranked
Posts 7
JaneanE wrote
on Jul 16, 2014 5:39 PM

Hi Sabine, 

Thanks for taking the time to reply and helping.  I actually started it.  Instead of using Aunt Lydiias crochet cotton, I went with DMC cebelia #10.  I figured if I was going to put that much work into something, it was worth the extra cost to have superior material.  I found that I had to go down a few hooks to get my gauge right.  It's worked in a spiral until a certain point then each side is worked.  The only problem with working each side individually then sewing them together is that you would have to cut the thread and start it again for each row.  I followed the pattern to the tee, with one exception.  I did row 1 twice so it would be easier to go back and count my stitches a be certain that I had it right.  It looks good so far.  I'm using a safety pin with a row counter to keep track of my rounds and pattern place.  The beads are patterned in such a way that after a repeat, it's easy to tell what to do next and you don't have to follow the chart except for the first 10 or 15 stitches of each double row.  The black is difficult to see and it's easy to skip a stitch, you're always working from the wrong side so you're always flipping it to see the right side of your work.  I'm using extra magnification to help and that makes all the difference.  I'm really enjoying this pattern and can't see any reason not to make another of these.

Thanks,

Janean

Not Ranked
Posts 6
crochetmelt wrote
on Jul 17, 2014 8:29 PM

I have not seen the magazine, but is sounds like a beautiful project.  I hope you post it in the gallery!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
JaneanE wrote
on Jul 17, 2014 11:22 PM

Its very lovely/  I''l have to post pictures

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS