Help, need some advice

This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Ridleymom wrote
on Aug 6, 2014 2:10 PM

I am new to crocheting but know the basics. My daughter wants me to make a baby blanket approx. 3x4 all one color except with an 8" stripe 1/4 of the way down in the middle. I am going to double crochet the whole thing but do not know how many stitches across and how many rows down, where to start and end the stripe, what weight yarn and how many skeins I should buy and needle size. It is for a police officers wife and wants it in black with a blue stripe. ( she is thinking of a stroller blanket). I only have a month to do this so any help would be much appreciated! Thanks so much.....Ridleymom

Not Ranked
Posts 1
linanne09 wrote
on Aug 9, 2014 5:44 AM

I can only help with one part.  You can determine how many stitches and rows you will need for your blanket size if you crochet a gauge square of the stitch you are going to use and count how many stitches and rows you get to 4 inches (10 cm), divide that to give you the number per inch (centimetre) and then you can multiply that by the desired size.  Sorry if I haven't explained it very clearly.

With regard to hook size, that would depend on the yarn used.  I can only suggest that you do several gauge squares using different sized hooks and see which one you like the feel of most.

I found this on the internet:  http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/  It's a knitting calculator, I assume that the amount of yarn required would be similar for crochet but if I'm wrong, I'm sure there'll be someone else out there who can give more help.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS