Tunisian Crochet in the Round

This post has 34 Replies | 18 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Walk wrote
on Jan 25, 2008 1:24 PM
I just joined the group. I was online searching to see if anyone else is working with my method of doing seamless Tunisian crochet in the round. I taught this at the CGA 1997 Conference in Chicago. I was told there that I had "invented" a new way of working Tunisian. I don't know if that's true or not, but I haven't found anyone else doing this. Is there anyone interested in this technique? I can provide full instructions, but in summary for now the technique uses a double-ended hook with the bind off portion of the "row" always playing catchup with the pick up stitches. Please contact me - I only have computer access on Fridays when I am in town, so please be patient.

Looking forward to hearing from some one,

Larisa Walk

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mariat@15 wrote
on Feb 8, 2010 3:48 AM

Hello Larisa,

Could you please provide me with the full instructions in summary for this technique. I have been looking for it without complete results. I am so much interested on it!!

Thank you so much for your answer

Maria E.Tovar

Not Ranked
Posts 1
guicha wrote
on Feb 11, 2010 3:48 PM

Hi Larisa...I am very interested in tunisian crochet.  I have been looking for complete instructions on the seamless tunisian crochet in the round.  The few instructions I have found do not satsify me.  I would truly appreciate if you could help me with this.  Thank you very much in advance for the help you may provide.

Waiting for your response,

Guicha

Not Ranked
Posts 1
formula1 wrote
on Feb 16, 2010 4:36 PM

I'd just love to receive your instructions. I'm just starting the Tunisian bug after a break of many years - can't for the life of me figure out why I stopped in the first place!!!Tongue Tied

Hope to hear from you soon.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Knittingfor4 wrote
on Feb 17, 2010 10:09 AM

I also would like to learn this! Geeked

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Feb 21, 2010 7:52 AM

Dear Larisa,

I am completely obsessed with tunisian and would love to know how to do it in the round.  Could you please share you instructions?  Thank you

Christine

mountainpure@mantychgroup.com

Christine
MountainPureCrafts

mtnpurecrafts.com

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Linda68 wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 6:11 PM

Hi never heard of this. would like to learn more.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mariat@15 wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 8:23 PM

Hello Everybody,

I don't think that Larisa Walk will ever answer us, maybe she does not have the same email address so I made some research on my own and have found great instructions on Tunisian on the round and I am even doing some items with this technique.

Send me an email to for me to send you the links.

cricrideux@yahoo.com

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Knittingfor4 wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 9:12 PM

Yeah, I found a youtube video and also bought a pattern. I'm working on some longies right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQfp88HI2WY

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mariat@15 wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 4:15 AM

I found the same one but in Japanese. Not that I speak Japanese, but just to watch it I learned. Here you can find also some directions but with only one strand I think it is great!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUv2AueQJ9U   What pattern did you buy?

Regards.

Maria

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Knittingfor4 wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 8:23 AM

This one: http://hyenacart.com/FamilyPendragon/index.php?c=0&p=17388

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Walk wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 2:48 PM

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on this site for a very long time, but the recent issue of Interweave Crochet prompted me to see if I had gotten any interest in Tunisian in the round.  It looks like this has prompted several replies.  I did have some instructions posted at what time on this site.  I'll look around a bit to see if they're still here.

I'm still at the same e-mail address: boxeldergrove on the yahoo.com site.

More later,

Larisa

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Walk wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 3:12 PM

Hi Again,

I couldn't seem to find an archive of my previous postings, but I had a copy of one saved on my computer that I had written probably in 2008.  Here's the instructions for working Tunisian in seamless rounds for making "tube" shapes:

Tunisian Crochet in the Round:

Here's how it goes - We'll practice this technique by making a small tube. Start with a 10-12" chain and using a double-ended tunisian hook, pick up stitches for your first row. Now flip work over and tie on another strand of yarn to use as a bind off yarn (it helps to use a different color when you're learning this so you don’t get mixed up). Bind off at least half of the stitches but leave a few. Now flip back and using the pick up yarn that you started with, start picking up the next "row" of stitches in the tail that you've just bound off. It is important on making this connection to the tail end that it is not twisted! Now you keep picking up stitches until it is uncomfortable (the double-ended hook doesn't bend!) then flip and bind off some more, etc. etc. Keep playing tag with yourself but never quite catching up as leaving a few stitches on the hook helps to maintain tension when you switch back to picking up stitches after doing some binding off. Some things to consider:
* You may want to mark the start of the "row" to make counting easier if you're working a pattern or making mittens, etc. where you want the 2nd one to be the same as the first - use an abacus or some type of row counter to keep track.
* You can use most any of the Tunisian stitches as far as I know, but you may want to stick with the simpler ones starting out until you've mastered the technique.
* The Tunisian stockinette looks just like knitting but works up very thick which is great for hats or mittens, but would probably be too bulky for socks that you wanted to wear in shoes (probably good for boot liners though).
* Increases and decreases can be used for shaping. I like to make raglan type sweaters from the neck down. After a little fudging with straight rows to get the neck edge you work circular until you get to the underarm point. Then work sleeves and the rest of the body individually. I used Elizabeth Zimmerman's knitting instructions for this (I forgot the name of the book, but it is an older knitting work).
* You can combine circular with straight work. I've put seamless sleeves on a cardigan that was worked from the center out (up and over the shoulder - bottom edge to bottom edge). I like working sleeves from the top down so I can fit and get the length just right. Even if you make a switch gauge swatch, you can't account for drape from the weight of the textile accurately when you're making up patterns.
I hope this gets you started. Once you get this, it should lead to some ideas as to how you can incorporate this technique into your own project. In the book "Crochet History & Technique", it list the various names for Tunisian crochet, one of which is Idiot Stitch. Going round and round may make you feel that this is an appropriate description.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
lms44 wrote
on Feb 25, 2010 8:22 AM

This is great! My mother has taken up Tunisian Crochet again after many years. She will find this very interesting!. While I have always crocheted since I was young, I have never tried Tunisian crochet and can't wait to give it a try.

Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Gayle Perry wrote
on Mar 21, 2010 11:39 AM

Hello Larisa,

Yes I would be interested in your method of seamless Tunisian crochet in the round.  What other resources would you recommend for Tunisian Crochet?

Thank You,

Gayle

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS