Don't lose your hook! (inspired by the Crochet Me Blog)

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Aug 25, 2009 10:20 AM
When I set my work down to untangle yarn, eat, or to be done for the day (once I get over "one more row" syndrome), I use a clothespin to hold my hook to my work. There's a few great things about this:

1) You don't lose your hook.

2) You know in which direction you were working.

3) None of your stitches pull out when you set everything down.

My mom taught me this trick. She's the master at it. She points her hook toward where she's working, takes the leading edge of the yarn along the hook, holds all three together (hook, yarn and work) and clips! And it stays.

It's a wonderful technique and, after seeing the blog post about the airplane incident and having my couch eat my hook countless times, I thought I'd pass it on!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 44
pure wrote
on Dec 4, 2010 5:51 AM

So simple an idea.  Makes one wonder why one never thought of that before?  Thanks!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 73
lambiepie wrote
on Dec 4, 2010 6:13 PM

Such a simple, but great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 125
cheriedurbin wrote
on Jul 5, 2011 6:14 AM

Great tip, and one I'll use! My hook always ends up stuck between the couch cushions! Yes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,195
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jul 5, 2011 9:55 AM

I love this idea. The trouble I always have is pulling stitches out when I am fishing my project out of my bag. This would keep that from happening. I will have to try it. Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 498
Char55 wrote
on Jul 8, 2011 8:52 AM

Clothespins also make great yarn bobbins. Wind the yarn around the clothespin and clip the end of the yarn in the end of the clothespin to keep it from unwinding while you're working.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
carljohn wrote
on Jul 9, 2011 11:37 PM

Nice tip. Thanks!

Save money with Kohls printable coupons and promo codes. Find Kohls coupons and other printable coupons online.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Amy90 wrote
on Oct 30, 2011 3:40 PM

That's a great idea. Only recently I had a hook literally vanish into thin air! I was sat on the settee and I got distracted for a second or 2 by something (I didn't even stand up or leave my seat) but then I looked down and the hook was gone. This was a month ago and it has never turned up!

I now put the work and yarn and hook into a ziplock freezer bag even if I have to leave my seat for only a second but for bigger pieces I think I might use this clothespeg technique in future.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS