Loop Stitch Tutorial

This post has 15 Replies | 11 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 818
on Dec 2, 2005 10:24 AM

Loop Stitch

The Loop Stitch

I first saw the loop stitch and the double-loop stitch in my favorite crochet book, New Design in Crochet by Clinton D. Mackenzie (Van Nostrand, Reinhold Company, 1972).  The instructions in this tutorial are for right-handed crochet.  If you crochet left-handed and need help working this stitch, please feel free to email me.

The loop stitch is a fun little trick for creating a loopy fringe or shag.  It's a little awkward at first, but once you get into the flow, the loop-stitch is easy and works up fast.  It is useful for trim and can be used to make a fun shag carpet or bath mat.  There are many ways to vary the stitch, as well.  For differently-sized loops, the yarn may be wrapped around a different number of fingers (or another object, such as a pen or a q-hook).  For a fuzzier look, the loops may be cut.  For a flashier look, the loop stitch can be made with a bead on every loop.

The loop stitch is worked with the wrong side of the project facing you.  If you are working flat, alternate between rows of loop stitches and single crochet unless you would like the fringe to be double-sided.

Directions:

Begin with a row of ch and a row of sc.

Step 1:  Grasp the yarn with your left hand and, with your right hand, wrap the yarn clockwise around your left index finger to make a loop.  Insert the hook into the stitch so there are two loops on the hook.  Rotate the hook clockwise -- in the opposite direction from the way you usually would -- so it goes over the yarn.

Step 1

Step 2:  Pass the hook behind the yarn held by your left index finger.  Catch both strands with the hook, and pull them both through the stitch.  You should now have 3 loops on your hook.

Step 2 

Step 3: Yo and pull the strand through all loops on the hook.

Step 3

This is a more secured and slightly stiffer version of the traditional loop stitch. For the traditional loop stitch, catch and pull only the back loop through the stitch so there are only two loops on the hook at the end of Step 2.

The Double Loop Stitch

The double-loop stitch is worked the same as the single loop stitch except the yarn is wrapped around your index finger twice.

Directions:

Begin with a row of ch and a row of sc.

Step 1:  Grasp the yarn with your left hand and, with your right hand, wrap the yarn twice clockwise around your left index finger to make two loops. Insert the hook into the stitch so there are two loops on the hook and rotate the hook clockwise -- in the opposite direction of how you usually would -- so it goes over the yarn.

Step 1

Step 2:  Slip the hook under the loops around your left index finger.  Catch all 3 strands with the hook and bring all three strands through the stitch.  You should now have 4 loops on your hook.

Step 2

Step 3: Yo and pull the strand through all the loops on the hook.

Step 3

This is a more secured and slightly stiffer version of the traditional double-loop stitch. For the traditional loop stitch, catch and pull the back loop through the following loop and then through the stitch so there are only two loops on the hook at the end of Step 2.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
misshetz wrote
on Jun 9, 2010 11:33 PM

Hi! I'm curious how you turn work and do the next row. I'm currently working on a rug pattern that calls to do a row of "Front Loop Stitch" followed by a row of "Back Loop Stitch", and continuining this way throughout the pattern. The directions on that pattern make NO SENSE AT ALL! These instructions are much easier to interpret, but I don't understand how to turn my work and keep my loops on the correct side. I appreciate your help!

M

Not Ranked
Posts 1
jojacks wrote
on Jul 29, 2010 10:50 AM

Hi,  Thanks a million for the info: for loop stitch, I have been doing crochet for a few years now, but have never come across this stitch before.

Thanks again, am off to get started now on the baby boots. x

Jojacks.x

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Oct 5, 2010 6:39 PM

I also have been crocheting for years  and have lost my pattern for a loop stitch baby or childs sweater. Would anybody out there have a pattern for that?

jojacks:

Hi,  Thanks a million for the info: for loop stitch, I have been doing crochet for a few years now, but have never come across this stitch before.

Thanks again, am off to get started now on the baby boots. x

Jojacks.x

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on May 13, 2011 4:57 AM

You just turn your work around and do single crochet on back side and the the other side the loop stichBig Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on May 13, 2011 4:59 AM

Just torn work around do single crochet on back side and then the loop stitch on other side again

Not Ranked
Posts 1
YarnitDS wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 5:28 PM

Hello, could you let me know the left handed instructions?

Thank you,

Danyelle

Not Ranked
Posts 6
noo2a-farag wrote
on Dec 26, 2011 3:49 PM

Thanks very nice stitch

Not Ranked
Posts 1
bovs Crying [:'(] wrote
on May 20, 2012 1:39 PM

Hi, please could you help with doing a double loop stitch for a left handed person, I can norm follow for right handed

but i am struggling with this one, i have done crocheting for the last 30yrs off and on, but this is a new one to me,  I would be grateful for

any help you can giveSad

Not Ranked
Posts 6
noo2a-farag wrote
on May 27, 2012 12:50 AM

hiiiii
alslam alikom
sorry for not reply soon
this is first time to see yr e-mail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIx-k8mB5uM&feature=BFa&list=UL5WVf2vs2_Ao
this link is my vidio
try my way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIx-k8mB5uM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
and this is mine too
i wish i could help you
best wishes

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Djoh wrote
on Jun 6, 2012 4:08 PM

Hello, I am a left handed crocheter (smile), please send me instructions on how to do the LOOP stitch with my left hand..... Thank you! Denise 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
redline wrote
on Jun 10, 2012 8:30 PM

Your instructions are great! But I have a question if you pull on a strand of yarn on one of the loops in double loop, it will pull the other loop out. Can anyone tell me if thats the way it is or if I have missed something. Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Carrie Shead wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 3:59 PM

Thanks for this pattern,I was so excited to find the directions for this loop stitch.  I made many thngs using it many years ago.  Tried to do it again a few months ago and couldn't remember how to even get started.  I only wish I could print these directions so that I could save them.  

Carrie

Not Ranked
Posts 2
lab_rat wrote
on Jan 11, 2013 2:35 AM

I have this same problem. I found if I made the stitch super tight that it helps but was wondering if you had learned any other tricks to avoid this problem...this problem doesn't seem to be mentioned many other places.

Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 2
lab_rat wrote
on Jan 11, 2013 2:35 AM

I have this same problem. I found if I made the stitch super tight that it helps but was wondering if you had learned any other tricks to avoid this problem...this problem doesn't seem to be mentioned many other places.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS