Jewel top from Doris Chan "Everyday Crochet"

This post has 94 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Oct 18, 2007 11:07 AM

You go Joy!

I just started my second sweater ("No Sweat" in blue). I have had to re-do parts of Row 2 and Row 3 but not quite as many times as when I made Jewel (which is still wet, by the way! bamboo holds a LOT of water, I guess -- would probably be fantastic in hot sweaty weather, which is exactly what we don't have in the NW [thank goodness]).

Jewel/No Sweat instructions do the same thing with ** and [] -- it might help to write down the number of shells and increase shells in order. I almost have to count on my fingers for those first few rows. But it DOES become clearer!

Good luck! Great pictures!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Oct 18, 2007 11:19 AM

Oh, one other thing ... the error I kept making in the early part of this sweater was that sometimes I FORGOT TO TURN MY WORK at the end of a round. Of course you must turn when it is still rows, before joining up the neckline, but after that, it took me a while to remember to turn my work consistently. In fact, there is one row where the shells are still out of phase (because I didn't turn); it's just below the back neckline. You can see it in the "before" blocking photo. Don't tell anybody! I didn't discover this until I was way beyond and decided I could live with it. But TURNING at the end/start of each round became a sort of ritual, and I also got in the habit of checking that the loops at the tops of my DCs of the new row were pointing in the opposite direction of the row I was working in to. MANY rows had to be redone before I firmed up this habit!

My other bit of advice is, when you get to where you join up the armholes, keep the markers on the increases! Oh, you don't have sleeves to add since you are making a vest, so maybe this does not apply. But for Jewel, when it came to joining up the yarn for the sleeves, the instructions referred to "marked shell" and I had let the markers go...

Still. Not perfect, but good enough to wear!

Can't wait until Jewel dries so I can weave in the last ends and wear it!! By the way, the way it fit me unblocked reminded me of "Poor Boy Sweaters" that were fashionable when I was in about 6th grade, around the time of go-go boots.... I loved my poor-boy sweater! went with everything. (Actually I loved my go-go boots too. I'd wear them now! but in black, this time, not white.)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 33
dorisjchan wrote
on Oct 18, 2007 1:10 PM

Hey Teresa and Joy,

I have been following your progress with great interest. Here are some comments that might be helpful:

---The hardest part is keeping all those increases in mind.  In order to make a shaped neck opening and shoulders there will be increases at four corners of the yoke AND at each neck edge.  The increases come faster at first, every row.  That encourages the shoulder to bloom more quickly.  Then the increases come every other or every third row depending on the stitch pattern, to make the shoulder cap come down over the top of the arm. 

---Yes, keep those yoke corner markers in place until you have managed the sleeves or armhole finishes.  I like to use strands of contrast yarn, flipping the end back and forth across the rows each time, so you get dotted lines along the increase corners.

---Yes, the neck shaping will look lumpy at first.  Shaping in pattern is never a straight-line thing.  Trust me, once you get the edging on there and do some blocking it will all smooth out.

---Whenever you swap out the yarn, your results will be different.  I've made these designs plus all the variations in many yarns and even I can't tell you what's going to happen with your particular yarn.  Sticky wool will not behave the same way as slick bamboo.  So the best I can suggest is to finish one, as Teresa has done.  See what happens.  Learn from the experience.

Here's my current fave; I wear it often.  V-Neck Pullover (Tall Raspberry?) in Classic Elite Premier, size 33, no shaping, simple scallop neck edge, wrist-length tapered sleeves, cover-the-butt length with side vents.

Tall Raspberry

Please continue to post about your progress.  I learn so much from your trials and tribulations.  THANKS!

Yours,

Doris

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Oct 18, 2007 1:38 PM

Wow! Doris, it is wonderful to see the alternative expression of this design and to have your personal notes.

If I could offer a suggestion for future books or articles, it would be to have a drawing (for us spatially-impaired thinkers) or schematic of how the neckline works and specifically how the base chain/SC "connector" connects up the two ends to make the neckline. Once I did it, I could see how it's supposed to work (and it gives the neckline a really graceful and subtle design!), but while making it I felt I was following blindly through the dark. Luckily your written instructions got me there but it was scary! A "map" or schematic would be reassuring.

Getting my own sweater finished is the most reassuring, though! It is so exciting to feel how my skills have progressed in the last 3 weeks with the help of your book. (I'm gonna run upstairs right now and see whether my Bamboo Jewel is even close to dry....!)

Teresa

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Oct 18, 2007 1:49 PM

P.S. Maybe you could call that one Raspberry Rickey? When I lived near Boston we used to drink Lime Rickeys, and my favorite from Eriksen's Ice Cream Stand in Maynard was a Raspberry Lime Rickey. Raspberry Cane, Raspberry Soda, Raspberry Ripple, perhaps? It looks beautiful.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
JoyB wrote
on Oct 18, 2007 3:13 PM

I would second the suggestion for more charts. Words can be interpreted in a variety of ways (as demonstrated above) but charts leave no room for error. You can see exactly what stitch goes where.

Thank you Doris, for your comments. They're very helpful to me and I'm sure to anyone else reading our soap opera. I'm going to start over (again) tonight, using the contrasting yarn idea for marking the corners and leave the cute little plastic circles in their box.

And that raspberry tunic is to die for! Look how perfect the shells are. Maybe you can just make my vest for me? That way it will be exactly how it's supposed to be!

See you all tomorrow morning for another episode.

- Joy B.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Oct 18, 2007 6:36 PM

Hey Joy! Go for it! Once you get past the first few rows it will become fairly automatic and you won't have to keep looking at the directions all the time.

Your shells look great -- and blocking does wonders too. You are going to have a wonderful vest! Enjoy!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Oct 19, 2007 10:18 AM

Hey Joy! I think you should start a NEW TOPIC with YOUR sweater. We are running into two pages on this one, and it's called "Jewel" -- it would be great if you could start a new topic and even copy over your initial postings about your sweater.

I can start a new one for "No Sweat" too.

Sweater is dry! I'll post pictures later today!

Cheers --

Teresa

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Oct 22, 2007 3:33 PM
Here's how it looked after blocking and drying, made pretty much according to the design for size 36 (I measure 36 in the bust, but I'm taller than a "normal" person!):

Jewel after blocking the first time

Jewel, after blocking the first time ---

and then I added more length to the sleeves and took a round off the hem. Here it is before blocking; I may have to take a bit off the sleeves after blocking, and then it will really, really be done!

Jewel with longer sleeves on

Jewel with longer sleeves

SO... now it is laid out flat to dry after blocking a second time, and I figure it will be dry in time to wear to my dad's 77th birthday party on Sunday! Now I have to make him a hat, in case he ever permanently loses the one my grandmother (his mother-in-law) made for him in the 1970s. There are tales of losing that hat, but it has always found its way back to him -- once from as far away as the Chilkoot Trail in Alaska, all the way back to Seattle! I'll have to work some of that homing magic into another hat for him, just in case....

And on to "No Sweat"; I'm on Round 3.... photos over there on that topic soon!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 33
dorisjchan wrote
on Oct 22, 2007 3:59 PM

OMG! Teresa, it's brilliant! Your work is wonderful and beautifully blocked. Looks great on you as well. I can appreciate what you've done with the longer sleeve. Congrats.

WHOO HOO! Wear that with pride!

Yours,

Doris

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Oct 22, 2007 6:50 PM

Dear Doris: Do you have any IDEA how gratifying it is to get such feedback from the author of my sweater?! Thank you so much for your kind attention!

I really feel lucky at how well this project is turning out. Now I just have to come up with the perfect thing to wear with it ... long swoopy skirt I think!

Did you see that there is a giveaway of your book on one of the other forums? The publisher sent "Crochet by Faye" a copy and she's running a giveaway contest on her blog, asking for "what do you want to see in a crochet book":

http://crochetbyfaye.blogspot.com/2007/10/contest-time.html

Already lots of neat comments!

And I've just joined up the neckline of my NEXT sweater....! Pix to come on the "No Sweat" topic.

Many thanks for a wonderful book!

Teresa

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
BarbaraN wrote
on Oct 24, 2007 11:48 AM

That is a beautiful stitch! You all have done a lovely job on these sweaters. Gotta add this to my list!

Oh, Doris, I take a 2X in a sweater. Is this sized for that? We REALLY need some larger size patterns in crochet and knitting. TONS of women are burdened/blessed with big chests and we need the room! LOL

Thanks!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 33
dorisjchan wrote
on Oct 24, 2007 12:07 PM

Yes, quazeekat. The Jewel and No Sweat pullovers, built on the same body pattern, are sized up to 54" finished bust. A bit more bust ease in the form of short row shaping at the bust is offered as well. I believe a 2XL should be able to get a good fit.

Thanks for your interest.

Yours,

Doris

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
twinkiesmom wrote
on Oct 25, 2007 8:17 AM

Doris is on board with us big girls...It's Sweater Babe we need to haunt to make bigger sizes. Don't buy her book if you need bigger than a 40 or so.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
twinkiesmom wrote
on Oct 29, 2007 2:56 PM
I just finished the bed jacket...I made it a size too large on purpose and extended the sleeves by three rows. It looks more like a capelet with sleeves.

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

Page 4 of 7 (95 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS