Jewel top from Doris Chan "Everyday Crochet"

This post has 94 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
JoyB wrote
on Oct 29, 2007 3:46 PM

Hey there Twinkiesmom -

I'd be interested in seeing a larger photo. Which pattern is this? Why did you choose to make it a size larger? What yarn did you use?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Oct 29, 2007 4:16 PM

Very cute! Me, too, I want to know what yarn? And how do you like wearing it?! Looks great; beautiful color on you.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
twinkiesmom wrote
on Oct 29, 2007 4:39 PM
Hi there,

If you want to see it larger, just click on the photo.

Making it a size larger means it drapes like a cape, and I skipped out on the short rows.

I returned the book to the library (just purchased it on Amazon), so I don't have the name of the design...It's the short blue cardi with the scalloped edging. I also skipped the extra chaining at the top to tie a bow closure and went with her design for the button closure (which is awesome).

The yarn was a deal at elann.com...Schachenmayr Lipomo (60% acrylic, 40% viscose)..very glossy and easy on hands (and allergies). This was a size 50, and I used about 10 balls.

For the bell sleeve, I did the 10 rows of working even recommended in the original pattern, then one increase row (Dc ch1 Dc ch1 Dc ch1 Dc in every V from prev round, v in shell from prev round), one row working in pattern (v shell v in each increase from prev round), one row completely working even (v in shell, shell in v) and then the trim round from the original pattern.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Oct 29, 2007 5:20 PM

Pauline, Joy, all -- this book totally rocks. I'm hooked! (ha.)

I just went back to the yarn store, hoping to get more to make the sleeves longer on "Jewel" but no luck. I did get some extra for my next (second) project, "No Sweat" -- it is based on "Jewel" but more of a pullover than a next-to-the-body shell: I want enough yarn to size up a bit and have full length sleeves and body (I'm tall and I have loooong arms). (Heirloom "Breeze" cotton/wool/lycra.)

AND I bought MORE yarn! (Out at Dinah's Yarn Shop, they keep making me offers I can't refuse....) Cascade "Pastaza" llama/wool in black, very soft, enough to make the "Mei-Mei" shrug on the cover -- I am going to incorporate a second, very thin strand of glitzy yarn to make an evening top. I might make that next; it should go quickly! And I'll have used up a bit of my excessive stash. At this rate ....

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Oct 29, 2007 5:25 PM

I would love to see your sweater worn over a top in contrast color to show off the beatiful stitch pattern! Also maybe with a neckline that parallels the sweater neckline, or is enough above it (do you ever wear turtlenecks?) that the two necklines harmonize. Yay for you adapting the pattern! This is part of what I appreciate about this book!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 39
TheresaH. wrote
on Oct 30, 2007 6:44 AM

You ladies have done great jobs on these sweaters! Kudo's to you both! This book is definitely on my Christmas list!

Theresa

Theresa

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
twinkiesmom wrote
on Oct 30, 2007 4:16 PM

I forgot to mention that I treated the center back increase like a fifth corner and increased throughout the yoke portion...as far as I can tell, my size did not give specific directions to stop increasing...from reading blog comments by Doris, it appears that the center back increase on the plus sizes was only intended to be temporary...so the back does swing free like a capelet.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Dec 10, 2007 6:53 PM

Hi Teresa and Joy,

It's been fun to keep taking a peek at your adventures with "Everyday Crochet". I'm working on my second sweater from the book, and have been learning a lot and having a great, challenging time. My family and I have lived in Hong Kong since May, and I finally found a tiny yarn shop in the most gigantic shopping mall that I've ever seen. Everyday Crochet is the first book that I've ever purchased on Amazon. It just looked so great that I had to have it. So far, I've made Sweet Tea with Jaeger Extra Fine Merino DK in olive green. It came out really well, but I did panic when I was wet blocking it because it stretched so much that I was convinced it would never dry to the measurements, but it did. My current project is Jewel, in burgundy colored dk "Massoni 3011" wool. I'm just starting on the arms. So far, so good, but I have a long torso and long arms, so I may have to add extra rows at some point. I'm not very good yet with our digital camera, but maybe I can send in a picture after I get it figured out. Best of luck, guys.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 12:01 PM

Hey Amy! Would love to see what you do with your "Wine Colored Jewel" (does that make it a Ruby?). Good luck and have fun! -- Teresa

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Dec 11, 2007 6:26 PM

Hi Teresa!

I'm glad that you are still checking this topic even though you've already finished your sweater - looks great, by the way. You must be enjoying wearing it and saying "Thanks, actually I made this." I got to say that last week when I was wearing my Sweet Tea vest and it made my day.

As for Jewel - I recklessly worked away on it yesterday (today?) until 12:30 am. Not such a great idea, as I'm now going to need way too much coffee to get through the day. I have three daughters, the youngest of whom is 5 1/2 months old, so when I get a block of free time to work after they are asleep, I get kind of carried away. Sometimes I can get away with letting the baby wriggle around on the bed while I work next to her. If I sing to her she's usually content to hang out for a while.

I have a narrow frame, so allowing for a bit of negative ease, I've made the pattern in size 33. Like you, I have long arms, so I've decided to lengthen the sleeves - I like how yours came out and decided to try the same thing. I used the schematic for "No Sweat" (yours looks really nice, by the way) as a template, and if I've got the math right, adding about 12 rows should get me to a 17" sleeve. Just a bit worried that I may run out of yarn. Living in Hong Kong will force me to be fearless with yarn substitution since my impression is that it will not be so easy here to find all the cool wool and cotton synthetic blends, bamboo, etc. that I see in the book and in Inteweave Crochet. Well, necessity is the mother of invention, as they say.

Some thoughts about where the underarms join the body: I'm a lapsed knitter, and have always admired traditional English/Scottish fisherman's sweaters, although I've never made one. These "ganseys" as they're called are constructed in one piece from the bottom up and made to withstand enormous wear and tear. The underarm area joins up with the body using a diamond shaped panel called a gusset. This way, there is no seam that is taking all the stress from the movement of the arms. Anyway, with this ideal vaguely in mind, I cast a critical eye on Jewel after I'd started the first couple of rows of the sleeve. I'd tried really hard to do the underarm base ch/sc correctly, but following the instructions in for the underarm join up row for my size to "ch 1, BASE CH/SC 7" always leaves me with what seems to be a little extra bit (due to the ch 1? what am I doing wrong?). Ok, if I haven't lost you yet, here's what happened: due to that extra bit it seemed to me that when I made the base row of the sleeve following the instructions to "sk remaining 3 ch of underarm, sc in marked corner ch-sp, work in pattern accross armhole...sk next 3 ch of underarm, 2 dc in same chain as beg" left me with what looked like two large gappy holes that not only made the join look weak, but also bulged out unattractively when the sleeve was lowered. So, to correct this instead of "sk next 3 ch" I actually put a sc in the second ch on both sides of the underarm as a way to close up the gap a bit. This involved some ripping out, but it does look better now.

Ok, must go to deal with boring stuff like bills and insurance claims. Good luck with your projects, I'll make my best attempt at posting a picture when I'm done.

All the best,

Amy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
JoyB wrote
on Dec 12, 2007 11:14 AM

I, for one, can't wait to see it! My 4-S vest looks up at me every night as if to say "Pick me, pick me". Hopefully very soon the answer will be "Okay". Just one Christmas project left and that's the Allegheny Moon Mobius from Amazing Lace Crochet. It's coming out gorgeous! and it's so easy! Anyway, I miss the give and take on this forum and have kind of felt isolated the last few weeks as there has been nothing to say, so I'm really looking forward to getting back to the vest and back to my friends!

Teresa has posted excellent instructions for putting on a photo (even I could figure it out). If she sees this maybe she can say where they are located.

- Joy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Dec 12, 2007 1:05 PM
www.crochetme.com/forum/please-help-download-picture

explains how to do pictures. Kim Werker recently

updated for someone who didn't want to use Flickr.

On the sleeves -- those 3 foundation-chain SCs that you skip when joining up the body will be where you start adding sleeve rows; they won't gap then. Good luck! can't wait to see pictures! It is also great to have pictures of "work in progress" including closeups!

Speaking of pictures, I love the picture you made in words of your littlest one wriggling around on the bed while you crochet and sing!

This stitch pattern and style "grows" quite a bit when you block it, gaining in length AND (contrary to my expectations) a bit in girth as well. I ended up removing some rows from the sleeves after blocking; it would have been too long. So (fingers crossed for you!) you may find that you DO have enough yarn!

I definitely recommend that you not skip the stage of blocking. It really made the difference in looking homemade and a little funky to looking sleek.

I do enjoy wearing it -- it's my party top for this holiday season -- wore it last night to my rowing club annual potluck, and to a birthday party for my mother, my mother-in-law, and my sister-in-law last Saturday!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Dec 12, 2007 6:01 PM

Hi Teresa and Joy,

Good to hear from you, thanks for your helpful comments and encouragement. I finished one sleeve yesterday, and it is looking good. I think I'll have to put it on hold until after the holidays. We will be in the US over Christmas and there is a daunting amount of organizing I need to do before we depart. When we return I'll try to post a picture of it as it is now, pre-second sleeve, pre-blocking. I'll still be checking in before then because I'm interested to hear from any other soul out there who is working on Jewel.

I'm planning on taking my crochet hooks with us, and a new book I just treated myself to: "Just Bags" by Lion Brand yarn. My parents on Long Island, NY have a Michaels craft store in their town, and I might pick up some yarn and make a fun little bag. There are actually some very nice designs in there by Doris Chan.

-Amy

Not Ranked
Posts 6
DebbieR@30 wrote
on Dec 27, 2007 7:49 AM

Thanks so much for posting these corrections! I've been struggling with the yoke on size 36 Jewel for days and had just about given up. I couldn't get it to work whatever I tried (I even tried getting my husband to interpret it - he wouldn't be able to crochet to save his life but is good at maths!). I'm off to have another go now!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Feb 6, 2008 6:47 AM

Hi Teresa and Joy,

I don't know if either of you is still following this topic, but I just wanted to say that I have not dropped off the face of the earth, and am about to block my burgundy Jewel sweater. Things got really busy for me after Christmas, so it has taken several weeks to pick up where I left off, but a couple of nights ago I wove in the last end of this project. I've taken a picture of it in its pre-blocked state and will take another when it is done. Now I just need to figure out how to link my pictures to this site. In the meantime, I wanted you to know how it all turned out. I can't wait to actually wear it.

-Amy

Page 5 of 7 (95 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next > | RSS