Jewel top from Doris Chan "Everyday Crochet"

This post has 94 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 9:04 AM

Yaaaay! I am looking forward to seeing pictures! In the "how to use this site" forum there are a couple of explanations of linking Flickr pictures so they show up here. You need to join Flickr; it's not a big deal.

I started a new sweater just after the first of the year, on a little vacation, and then spent the vacation in bed with the flu. I haven't returned to my yarn; I've been painting instead. There only seems to be time in my life for one big Indulgence In Color. But I dream of the sweater that I had only started.....! (Another "No Sweat" but with 4 colors making stripes around the yoke.)

Teresa

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Feb 6, 2008 10:01 PM

Hi,

Here's my Jewel sweater all ready to be blocked!

-Amy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
JoyB wrote
on Feb 7, 2008 8:54 AM

Oh, that's pretty! What a gorgeous color! I'm so glad you figured out the picture thing. Can't wait to see it after blocking.

I'm still working on my 4-S vest, bit by bit, having some trouble figuring out gauge (again) with the new yarn so I get frustrated and leave it for something else.

Please post more photos when you finish the blocking, and if you're brave enough, one of you in it!

- Joy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Feb 7, 2008 11:12 AM

Wow! This is beautiful!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 3, 2008 11:14 PM

Hi, I've finally finished Jewel. I actually finished it about two weeks ago and kept waiting for the perfect moment with a) good lighting - indoors, since we live in the urban jungle of central Hong Kong, and b) another adult around during peak sunshine hours who could take a picture of me in the sweater. Since these two events never seem to coincide, here's a picture of jewel all by itself. It does look nice on me, and I'm really happy with the way it turned out. The longer sleeves were a good choice - I have long arms that look kind of funny in 3/4 sleeves. Anyway, to anyone who has been following this thread, good luck with all of your projects, Doris Chan designed or otherwise.

Jewel

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Mar 3, 2008 11:18 PM

Beautiful! would love to see a picture of how it looks on you. This style is really flattering, I think. Have you worn it yet in "Real Life"??

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 4, 2008 6:01 AM

Thanks! I have not worn it yet in "real life". It occurs to me that I will be at the first meeting of a local baby group tomorrow, and I could ask one of the other moms to take a picture of me wearing Jewel. If I can, and it comes out well, I'll post the picture.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
JoyB wrote
on Mar 4, 2008 6:42 AM

Oh, that is gorgeous! What a beautiful color! This will be a very vesatile sweater, don't you think? So glad to see you've finished, it gives me hope.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 4, 2008 7:06 AM

Thanks, Joy. I agree that burgundy is a really versatile color. I don't wear much true red - it always looks like it is wearing me - burgundy has the same richness, but speaks a little more quietly. It also goes well with olive green, a color that I love.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 5, 2008 6:43 AM

Ok, here I am wearing it. It is really comfortable. The sleeves aren't actually all that long, but I don't mind. I think of them as modified 3/4 sleeves. I crocheted this with dk wool and even though it is a lacy pattern, it is really warm. Today I wore it layered over a long sleeve t-shirt, which was kind of how I imagined wearing it when I made it. This is the very first sweater that I've ever made for myself and I'm really happy with the fit. Doris, hats off to you, this is a great design. If I ever find a shop in Hong Kong that sells cotton yarn (no luck so far), then I will be making this again.

Jewel Pose

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Mar 5, 2008 9:19 AM

Amy, this looks wonderful! Makes me want to do make another one in wool (especially today; there's frost on the ground).

Can you mail-order/order on-line? Surely some of these suppliers will send an international order! If not maybe sombebody in the U.S. could take delivery for you and send it on. Are the shipping or customs problems overwhelming?

Consider rayon instead by the way. Would cotton be too heavy?

Good luck!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 5, 2008 4:38 PM

Yes, you're right, cotton would be too heavy. What I was really thinking was some kind of a light cotton/microfiber blend that would be good in warm weather. And you make a good point about ordering online. I guess I really like the experience of looking at a yarn up close before I buy it. I've never purchased yarn sight unseen, but I might have to consider that, given my limited access to all the cool new yarns out there (I'm thinking of stuff like bamboo). Not to knock good old dk superwash wool though, because I love it and it's warm and available in so many colors. Anyway, now I get to daydream about what to make next.

Happy stitching,

Amy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Mar 5, 2008 7:24 PM

I know what you mean about getting your hands (and eyes!) on the yarn before you buy. I tracked down one of Doris's recommended yarns (maybe it was even the one she recommended for Jewel? I don't have the book handy, but it's the yarn she recommends for one or more of the sweaters in the book), Classic Elite Yarns "Premiere" (mis-spelled Premier in the book, so it took a while to track down! Google didn't like the variant spelling!). I bought ONE skein in a shop just to hold on to while I decide what I might do with it and then if I need to I will order on-line.

Premiere is a pima cotton and tencel blend (50/50) and it's gorgeous, smooth and lovely, take colors beautifully.

I used a bamboo/wool blend for my Jewel, which worked out great, but since then I have read more about the eco-impact of various fibers. Bamboo is often touted as eco-friendly, and the PLANTS are, but the processing is apparently anything but (uses a lot of heavy-duty chemicals). Tencel is more eco-friendly; it's basically a rayon-like cellulose fiber (as is bamboo) but the processing isn't as environmentally harsh.

http://www.classiceliteyarns.com/product_page_detail.php?category_id=1&item_id=21

So I'm leaning toward Tencel for my next project, especially because I love this coral color (#5255)! Spring IS coming! (Oddly enough this color is called 'burnt orange'; don't believe it!

DO believe Doris's recommendations!

Also, a lot of places will send you a color card with yarn samples so you know what you are ordering; Halcyon Yarns has a whole "Yarn Store in a Box" deal that might be WAY too much fun for you!

http://www.halcyonyarn.com/yarn.html

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 6, 2008 4:57 AM

Hiya,

Thanks very useful tip about color cards. Interesting point about bamboo. I, like you thought it sounded like the best of both worlds - an apparently beautiful yarn made out of something that is readily renewable (unlike, say, rainforest timber). And in Hong Kong there is bamboo everywhere, because believe it or not, it is used for scaffolding. Yes, that's right, scaffolding. There are skyscrapers everywhere here that are covered in scaffolding made out of bamboo poles rather than metal pipes. It is actually very strong, but much lighter to handle than metal. So the idea of bamboo yarn strikes a particular chord with me at the moment. But I'll keep tencel in mind. Now the only question is: what to make next?

-Amy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
JoyB wrote
on Mar 6, 2008 12:22 PM

Hey Amy -

Your sweater is gorgeous! It looks as good on you as it does on the hanger! After seeing Teresa's and yours and how versatile they look, I may be making this one next.

Some thoughts on yarn - microfiber is light and smooth, very easy to work with and to wear. I've made baby sweaters from microfiber blends and they look great and wash up really well. I've read the same things as both you and Teresa about bamboo, great on the tree but environmentally-unfriendly on the processing end. I haven't used anything with Tencel yet, but I have some lace-weight Tencel/silk sitting in my studio. It feels rough and I don't know if that's the silk or the Tencel.

Anyway, congrats on finishing and wearing your beautiful sweater! I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it!

Page 6 of 7 (95 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next > | RSS