Tall Latte from “Everyday crochet” by Doris Chan

This post has 22 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
Klass123 wrote
on Feb 5, 2008 5:01 PM
Who wants to crochet with me from “Everyday crochet” by Doris Chan? I’m going to do Tall Latte sweater. I ordered yarn from Knit Picks (Shine worsted that is on sale now) already and ready to start. The picture of the sweater is http://www.flickr.com/photos/7944962@N08/2244469753/?rotated=1&cb=1202247769717

I love it!!

Join me! My blog is cherriss.blogspot.com

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
WhiteBear08 wrote
on Feb 10, 2008 1:29 PM

I've been wanting to make this sweater since I got the book. I don't know how much time I will be able to spend on this, but I'm in! (if nothing else this gives me a reason to get more yarn...)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 111
LottyF wrote
on Feb 20, 2008 2:35 AM

Coincidentally, I started this at the weekend! I'm using an eau-de-nil colour yarn which I think is a mohair/acrylic blend (a friend let me rummage through her stash and it caught my eye). I'm going to change it slightly, but it'll still be a Tall Latte (even though it's a pale green/grey/blue yarn, lol!).

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
Klass123 wrote
on Feb 21, 2008 6:18 PM

Check my progress on my blog cherriss.blogspot.com and ravelry - my nick is creativesoul. I am at near end of shoulders!! :)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
WhiteBear08 wrote
on Feb 22, 2008 10:22 PM

Okay, I just got the yarn for this sweater. I am going to try to get it started this weekend.

While I was waiting for my yarn to be delivered I started trying to figure out the stitch pattern with some stash yarn I had... That swatch is now half a sweater. (It looks like I am going to end up with two Tall Lattes, one in purple acrylic that I am never going to wear and the one in navy wool that I originally intended to end up with.)

It's probably a good thing that I have gone through the pattern once before starting with my good yarn because I've run across some issues, maybe you guys can help.

First off, I am working on size 39 and it seems that the instructions for rows 10-15 include a repeat of row 7 that shouldn't be there. If I leave it out I come up with the right number of pattern repeats.

Secondly, now that I am working on the body portion of this sweater, I notice the size seems too big. It seems baggy through both the shoulder and stomach areas (although I only have a few inches of the latter part finished) but it fits nicely through the bust. I am wondering if I should move down a size (to 36) and include the bust short rows to make up the difference; or if I should try to include some sort of waist shaping into size 39?

Sorry about the long post, but I would like to hear what you have to say before I start on my "actual" version of the sweater.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
Klass123 wrote
on Feb 23, 2008 1:45 PM

did you get the gauge?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
WhiteBear08 wrote
on Feb 23, 2008 4:58 PM

Yep, I'm on gauge. But I was thinking maybe I should just drop down a hook size for the sections that seem too loose. I'm hoping that will pull it in enough.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
Klass123 wrote
on Feb 24, 2008 5:39 PM
I'm on row 13 size 39 and I have 38 shells. I'll check the pattern and will tell you what I think.

What yarn re you planning to use? and hook? and what are you using now?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
Klass123 wrote
on Feb 24, 2008 6:11 PM

You mean after you've done rows 10-15 (7,8,9,7,8,9) there shouldn't be row 7 after that, right? Because it is inc. row and there will be more than 38 shells after, right?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
WhiteBear08 wrote
on Feb 24, 2008 9:17 PM

Row 7 does increase the # of shells in the row, and the number of rows to 16, which were concerns. But also the next row (joining) for size 39 says to work in pattern to the next inc-sh, which you don't have if you've just done row 7.

(I'm using knitpicks worsted wool & an I/9 (5.5mm) hook)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
Klass123 wrote
on Feb 25, 2008 5:01 PM
row 15 that equals to row 9 has inc-SH. Anyway, I joined yesterday without row 16 and it is too big for me. I plan to do several more rows and then see how it will look. Maybe I'll do part of one sleeve also. If it still doesn't fit, I'll do size 36.

I wonder how other women did with the same patterns from this chapter.

Do you have pictures of your tall latte? Do you have a blog? I want to see what you've done and how it fits you.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
Klass123 wrote
on Feb 25, 2008 5:22 PM

Looks like everybody has done size 33 or 36. I've read CAL here about Jewel top

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
WhiteBear08 wrote
on Mar 5, 2008 4:47 PM

I haven't really had a chance to work on this much in the last week as life was busy with midterms. I did get in a few rows with a smaller hook. It isn't doing much for the overall size and I really don't want to frog the whole thing - so I am going to have a big purple sweater. At least there will be plenty of room in the hips, right?

I have some pictures on my camera, I'll try to transfer and upload them this weekend.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Mar 7, 2008 2:36 PM

Hi folks--

Somewhere a while back, I exchanged email with Doris about the instructions for Tall Latte. Hope this helps!

I wrote:

"In Size 36 of Tall Latte, in the book and also as the pattern was published on the Canadian Living website, it says:

Row 7: Ch 3, 2 dc in first dc, sc in next ch-sp of sh across, end with 3 dc in top of tch, turn.

Before "across" it should say "work in pattern":

Row 7: Ch 3, 2 dc in first dc, sc in next ch-sp of sh, work in pattern across, end with 3 dc in top of tch, turn.

Doris confirmed:

"Typo (omission) on page 53, size 36, Row 7. It should say work in pattern across. If we ever go into a second printing, they'd better jump on that! ... Also: the instructions to work "PATT ROW 1" refer back to the Stitch Pattern in rows (sh, sc) as listed for Jewel on page 37. All garments in the pullover chapter use the same shell stitch pattern; all the notes for basic stitch pattern in rows and rounds apply to all."

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 401
teresa@106 wrote
on Mar 14, 2008 11:14 PM

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/pottercraft/errata/everydaycrochet.html

Hey, the publisher actually started a corrections page! There are correx for CINNABAR and TALL LATTE (which means they probably apply to any other sweaters based on those two).

Tall Latte (Page 53)

First column, addition to line 34:

Size 36

Row 7: Ch 3, 2 dc in first dc, sc in next ch-sp of sh, work in pattern across, end with 3 dc in top of tch, turn.

CINNABAR, Page 66-67, corrections for Size 35 from Row 2

ROW 2: Ch 3, (dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in first V, V in corner ch-sp, SH in V, *[V in shell, SH in V] to next corner ch-sp, V in corner ch-sp, SH in V*; repeat from * to * 2 times, except omit last SH, instead (2 dc, ch 1, dc) in tch-sp, dc in third ch of tch, turn -- 10 pattern repeats.

ROW 3: PATT ROW 2, fasten off, turn.

Add sts to shape front neck, increase corners as follows:

ROW 4: BASE CH/SC 6 (for front neck extension), V in first dc, SH in V, INC-V in next corner ch-sp, *SH in V, [V in shell, SH in V] to next corner ch-sp, INC-V in next corner ch-sp*; rep from * to * 2 times, SH in V, V in top of tch, ch 1, BASE CH/SC 6 (for front neck extension), turn.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS