Stitch height question

This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 10
debagale wrote
on Jan 16, 2008 3:04 PM

Hi,

I recently ran into a weird problem I was hoping someone could tell me how to get around. I'm attempting to crochet a shrug from the Happy Hooker, and my gauge swatch is just not right. I can get the correct stitch width using the reccommended needle and yarn size, but my stitches are MUCH shorter than the pattern thinks they should be. (5 rows in 3" instead of 4")

Has anyone encountered this before? I don't want to switch to triple crochet, because I don't know if it will mess up the pattern. If I pull my loops higher, that helps a little, but it throws off my stitch width. Should I just give up and try with a different yarn?

Help!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,479
PaulineL wrote
on Jan 16, 2008 4:33 PM

I have that problem on some projects. Usually I'll add rows.

Sometimes a larger hook makes a taller stitch but the width doesn't change much.

Or, try making an extended stitch - draw up a loop in the stitch below, draw up a loop in the loop you just made, and then finish the stitch in the normal way.

I hope you find a solution.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 114
DevonP wrote
on Jan 17, 2008 6:43 PM
Which shrug are you making? I have made the Short n' Sweet once and am making it a second time right now.

Devon

Not Ranked
Posts 10
debagale wrote
on Jan 21, 2008 9:38 AM

I'm working on the knot ugly shrug. I need something pretty simple for the dress I want to wear it with. Short n' Sweet is next on my agenda, now that I'm all done with holiday gifts for other people! (I love having time to make stuff for me...) If you have any tips on it, please let me know!

Deb

Not Ranked
Posts 10
debagale wrote
on Jan 21, 2008 9:42 AM

Thanks for the advice! I got to work on it, and it is a simple enough pattern to just add rows where I need them. It probably wouldn't have occured to me without your suggestions, so thanks!

Deb

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 114
DevonP wrote
on Jan 21, 2008 1:33 PM
My tip on the Short and Sweet is to download the pattern clarification from the authors Web site where the errata is

http://www.knithappens.com/oops.shtml (scroll all the way to the bottom)

There's a part where you go back to the beginning of the row and add a ch 3 and the first time I made it that part got me so stuck that I quit working on it for a few months until I found the clarification! It actually works up quite quickly and is a clever design. I am making it this time using Berocco Softwist and it is coming out nicely (but a little small on the gauge). Also there are a couple of mistakes in the pattern (in my edition of the book at least) where a ch2 is left out. I figured it out right away beacuase it didn't make sense but if you didn't pick up on it, it would mess up the whole pattern.It is corrected in the errata file.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS