Edges

This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
cucuio wrote
on May 14, 2008 12:23 AM

Every time I look at a finished blanket or whatnot the edges on the sides all looked even and smooth.

But I look at my work in progress and they aren't. I mean, their not as bumpy as I keep imagining them to be, but their not smooth and even... Am I dropping a crochet stitch every row, or is it something else?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
on May 14, 2008 11:40 AM

Hello Cucuio,

To me, nice finished edges on blankets or afghans really make the piece look professional and well made. It is one of those things that a lot of people tend to have a problem with. But don't despair, all you need is a little practice and the right edge for the right blanket!

Before I give you any tips on how to achieve an even edge, I need to ask you a couple of questions.

What type of blanket pattern are you doing? Is it a simple single crochet pattern or is it more intricate? (Possibly lace, v-stitch, shells, chevrons, etc.)

Does you pattern say for you to work any sort of edge around your blanket? If not, I recommend that you work a couple of rows of single crochet around the ENTIRE blanket's outer edge. The single crochet takes those uneven end stitches and creates a beautiful, professional looking piece. The single crochet works with many kinds of crocheted blankets. But there are many more other edge options out there. So do get back to me on what pattern you are using. Once I know, I have a few more ideas to share with you.

Hope to hear from you soon, bye for now!

Rebekah

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
cucuio wrote
on May 14, 2008 11:44 AM

It's just a triple crochet. There isn't really a set pattern as I just decided 'oh there's a stitch that I can do and here's the yarn I have' and decided to take it from there.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
on May 14, 2008 12:23 PM

Hello again cucuio,

I see where you are now and it looks like the single crochet edge, a very simple edge to do, will be perfect for your triple crochet blanket. Here is how to do it:

----------------------------

1. Once you are through crocheting your last row: ch 1, 3 sc in last triple crochet made. You will now be crocheting along the edge that is made of the the beginning and ends of your rows (the blanket has a top, bottom, left, and right side; you will be working along the right edge now).

2. The next step is to work single crochet's right in the turning chs and the triple crochets you did on each row. Insert your hook right in these stitches and turning chs, you will be actually piercing the stitch. By piercing it, you are eliminating all those gaps and unbridled loops that were created by each row turn.

3. Continue along the right side until you get to the bottom right corner. Make 3 sc here, this makes a nice mitered corner.

4. This may be something you haven't done before: working in the free, back loops of your beginning chain. If you take a close look at the beginning chain you made, you will notice that each chain you made has a free unused loop.

Insert hook in this loop, yarn over, and pull through first loop on hook, yarn over again, and pull through last two loops. You just made a sc in a free loop. Sc in each loop across until last loop. 3 sc in last free loop. Pivot your work again and work along the left side of the blanket.

5. Do exactly the same thing as in step 2.

6. Here is the easy row! Sc in each of the triple crochets of the last row you made. Sl st in beginning sc.

And there you go! You just completely a whole row of sc around the blanket. It is up to you now about doing a second or third row of sc. If the blanket is looking the way you want it now, don't bother with the secondary row. But if it is looking uneven or even curling, I say give it a go. The 2nd row is a piece of cake anyway!

I love working triple crochet (one of my favorite stitches) and I know your blanket will look wonderful once it is finished.

You should look at your blanket as a blank canvas, there are countless edges or trims you can do. Try getting a hold of a book of crochet trims, I recommend The Complete Book of Crochet Border Designs. Here is the link to it: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Crochet-Border-Designs/dp/1579909140/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210787931&sr=8-2

One extra tip: BLOCK IT! It will work wonders and you will be so proud of it once it is nicely blocked!

Hope I have helped you out, let me know if you have any trouble!

Rebekah

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Michelle@46 wrote
on May 15, 2008 4:47 AM

Thanks Rebekah, I need to do an edging on a blanket I've started and this looks great! Just a question, what is blocking?? From what I can see it's ironing the finished item to lay flat?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Michelle@46 wrote
on May 15, 2008 5:02 AM

Woohoo, found another thread that explained blocking, makes perfect sense! I don't think the blanket I'm working on will need blocking, it's not worked in the round and I'll be edging. But I might throw it through the wash, and will then lay it out nice and flat anyway.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
cucuio wrote
on May 15, 2008 3:15 PM

Thank you very much for the help and the book link.

But I think that it's going to be too big to block.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,479
PaulineL wrote
on May 16, 2008 6:57 PM

Blocking by moistening and pinning out is more effective on natural yarns, especially woolly types. If you plan to toss it in the wash, it may be acrylic yarn and won't be affected much by pinning out. Sometimes I have held a steam iron above, not touching, small items and smoothed them out to help open up seams.

Lily Chin described 'killing' acrylic crocheted fabric by ironing it to make a permanent, positive change. I think she used a press cloth, etc.

Hmm, wools and cottons are blocked with moisture, acrylics with heat?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
on May 17, 2008 11:51 AM

Acrylic yarns are a bit difficult to block, but I have found that a relatively hot jet of steam from your iron works well (as PAULINE3 mentioned above).

One of the tricks I think in blocking acrylic is to steam both the wrong and right sides of your piece. And if that doesn't seem to give a truly blocked appearance, I suggest wetting your entire crochet piece with warm water and pinning it to your blocking board. Leave it in this state for a couple days, instead of the traditional "overnight" method.

I totally agree with you, CUCUIO, about skipping the blocking procedure because of the size. You will probably have a nightmarish episode running through the house trying to find enough space for your blocking area! :) I've been there!

Well, please post a picture of your blanket here as soon as you can.

Rebekah

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
cucuio wrote
on May 27, 2008 12:00 PM
Sorry, I had not computer this past week-ish.

Now I want to go and check to see what kind of yarn I got O.o

Also, the blanket is actually no where near done, but I wasn't sure if I'd have to fix it before I finished it or something.

So it will be a long while probably. Currently it reaches from my ankle to just past my knee.

And thank you very much.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS