Hemp Leaf Pattern

This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Muddycat wrote
on Nov 10, 2009 8:39 AM

I've received a most unusual request to produce a hemp leaf in thread crochet, the sort of leaf that one might hang. Size about 4 inches, tip to end of stem. Heaven knows there is enough material to search through online, but a crocheted hemp leaf? NOWHERE! Have you ever seen one? Have you ever made one? Have you got a pattern I might be able to borrow??? I propose to do this thing in bedspread weight cotton, and no, it won't be green, it will be white. To be included with the hundreds of crocheted snowflakes I make for customers every year!Thanks for any and all help!

Freedom may be a state of mind, but an RV helps.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 33
crochet7 wrote
on Nov 10, 2009 8:36 PM

Sorry, I have been crocheting for years and have not seen anything like it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 241
CapnHook wrote
on Nov 11, 2009 1:20 PM

There are several leaf patterns in Suzanne Thompson's Crochet Bouquet book. Maybe you could use one as a model and improvise a little?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 723
on Nov 12, 2009 4:10 AM
mad for crochet!

I think you may have more luck in your search if you called it a marijuana leaf.

mad for crochet!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 152
zoe cro-z wrote
on Nov 12, 2009 8:09 AM

There are two types of hemp. One is indeed, of same specie as of marijuana and the other one is called Abaca plant which grows in the Philippines. The plant looks like a banana plant, therefore if you are trying to see what the leaves look like of either plant, you can google Marijuana plant or Abaca plant. For ideas on how to crochet the forms of these leaves, Irish Crochet lace shows lots of leaves, flowers and fruits in its design.

Good luck and keep us updated of your success in finding a pattern for this unusual request.

Happy Crocheting,

zoe

chain4ever

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Muddycat wrote
on Nov 12, 2009 11:04 AM

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I'll definitely look for the crochet bouquet book, and yes I've googled hemp and marijuana and got loads of excellent photos. Irish crochet....wish there was somebody locally who could help me out with it. I've tried, but never been able to accomplish an Irish crochet pattern. Meanwhile, I took hook in hand, and beginning with the stem, worked my way around a couple of hemp leaves. It goes without saying, the saw-toothed edges are NOT! However the customer is pleased with the leaves I've produced so far, and I'm working on improving the design.

Freedom may be a state of mind, but an RV helps.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 152
zoe cro-z wrote
on Nov 12, 2009 11:47 AM

Good for you! What I enjoy about designing is discovering something new and different using my hands and fingers!

Happy Crocheting,

Zoe

chain4ever

Not Ranked
Posts 2
askcher wrote
on Dec 27, 2010 2:50 AM

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HempLeafStore?section_id=7640169

Crochet hemp leaf pattern

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Mermaid500 wrote
on Jul 29, 2013 12:32 PM

Could I possibly look over the pattern you came up with and see if maybe I could do it? I am looking to make some leaves to add to hats. Thanks!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ajb123 wrote
on Sep 3, 2013 8:03 PM

I just ran across this blog and know it was 4 years ago when you first posted, but i found a pattern for a marijuana leaf!

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/peace-leaf-pot-leaf

hope it helps!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Mermaid500 wrote
on Sep 22, 2013 5:14 PM

I just posted to it in July, and I am very happy to see the link you posted. THANKS!!!! 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS