I crocheted in Puerto Rico

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
prodriguez wrote
on Jul 23, 2008 6:24 PM

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say hi...

I've been crocheting in my spare time for about two years. I learned from a colleague of mine and wonderful art teacher in Puerto Rico. Curious, I started teaching myself how to knit about a year ago. Haven't finished a project yet, but I have the knit and purl down!

Lately I've become addicted with amigurumi, some of which are posted in the FO Show Off section.

I am clueless on the process of felting but am dying to learn, and I love trying anything new!

My big disappointment is not being able to crochet clothes. I'm a visual learner for the most part. Every clothes project I've started following a pattern and little to no visuals resulted in frustration and a lot of head scratching *sigh*.

Recently I moved to Orlando, FL and if anyone can recommend a yarn shop or a friendly group/class of crocheters I'd love to know about it!

That's it in a nutshell! Looking forward to lots of sharing and hooking! :)

-Prisca-

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,479
PaulineL wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 12:18 PM

Hi PRodriguez,

Glad you're here. Crocheted garments for Orlando or Puerto Rico? They'd have to be very light and airy! Good luck in finding the right pattern. Maybe Doris Chan?

Pauline

Not Ranked
Posts 9
alliecat1 wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 1:59 PM

Hello!

I'm a newbie too! Just wanted to say hi. Just a couple FYI's, Felting is the process of washing your wool creations in hot water and then drying to complete the felting process. You always have to crochet the project about 20% bigger(although this varies) to account for shrinkage. and as far as not being able to follow written patterns, you might try some foreign "chart" patterns from places like Japan. Their patterns are charts that have squares that represent stitches so you can see the shape of the pattern. Once you find a good yarn supply place you should ask any of their employees if they have detailed books on felting and if they know anything about pattern charts. Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Allie B

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
prodriguez wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 6:25 PM

Pauline, I crocheted accessories and purses in Puerto Rico. Then in Massachusetts I crocheted scarves and hats galore! Here in Orlando (I just moved here about a week ago) I started with amigurumi.

I'll look at Doris Chan, thanks for the tip!

-Prisca-

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
prodriguez wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 6:27 PM

Allie B,

Hi newbie! Thanks for the FYI's. The Japanese patterns certainly sound helpful. I'll let you know how it goes!

Prisca

-Prisca-

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS