Teaching Classes

This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 5
LindaI@2 wrote
on Oct 8, 2008 5:18 PM

I live in a rural area of Ms, so access to a yarn shop and classes is limited. My grandmother taught me to crochet a granny square when I was 8 and I have been crocheting ever since. I have been asked to teach a class. If anyone has any suggestions on dos and don't please let me know. My first class will be crocheting a ladies sock.

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,479
PaulineL wrote
on Oct 9, 2008 10:34 AM

Good luck to you; I'm sure you'll succeed. I have no suggestions, tho'. Wait, I have one - don't stand or sit in front of a window, lol. All your students will see is a silhouette.

Pauline

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,479
PaulineL wrote
on Oct 9, 2008 10:41 AM

Yikes! Sorry to be so repetitious. Where did the delete command go?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 241
CapnHook wrote
on Oct 24, 2008 9:42 PM

I taught a beginners class once. I only had two people to teach, but it was fun. I had them start out with a size h hook and worsted weight yarn. We just worked on basic stitches and reading a pattern, and I gave them a couple of patterns to practice each time we learned new stitches so the class built on itself. I'm not much more than a beginner myself, so there wasn't a lot of complexity in anything. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Oct 31, 2008 12:52 PM

I, too, live in rural south Mississippi, and am teaching a crochet class. I started the class with 13 and we have grown to 20. about half are crocheters who just wanted to visit with other crocheters. Six had some experience, but needed refreshing, and four were "crochet virgins." One of those four is a leftie, but we mirrored the actions.

Our learning pattern is the Special Olympics Scarf, and we will be sending our finished projects to the olympians in December.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Aug 23, 2009 4:32 PM

I have just decided that I want to crochet, I have never had any lessons or been taught anything by anyone ! My Grandfather used to crochet but never taught anyone. I guess I am just gonna jump in there and see what I can do. I am looking for something that is really simple, any suggestions ? I love looking at all the conversations that are on here, comments and all. Wish me luck and I will let you know just how bad I really am.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 152
zoe cro-z wrote
on Oct 5, 2009 12:42 AM

Hi grannygof4boys,

I'm glad you are trying to learn how to crochet. It is a very enjoyable craft. Once you get past the beginner's tendency to be tensed and relax as you make your stitches, you will really enjoy the process. The main thing is not to get discourage during this initial phase of learning. Most beginners complain that their fingers hurt after making several stitches, This will pass, for as you gain more confidence in making the stitches, your fingers will relax also. I would say more but I think I bored you already. Good luck and happy crocheting,

chain4ever

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Deanne12 wrote
on Oct 16, 2009 10:15 AM

I teach crochet classes at Hobby Loby. The lessons are two hours long. Here is what I do.

Lesson One:

Explain hook sizes and types of yarn. Show examples.

Shop. I have them start with a size H hook and cotton yarn.

Demonstrate the slip knot and practice it a few times.

Demonstrate chains and practice. Have them make a chain of 50 stitches then pull it out and do it again.

Then we make a cahin of 27 and I show them the single crochet stitch. We make rows andd rows of single crochets. (the piece will be a washcloth when finished.)

Lesson Two:

New stitches: hdc and slip stitch

Demonstrate how to hdc evenly around the piece from last lesson. Use chain 3, sc in each hdc to make a ruffle around their cloth. Then I have them chain 7 and practice making row after row of hdc. Sew it around a plastic hanger to make a hanger cover.

Lesson Three:

New stitch: dc. Also teach changing colors

Make granny squares.

Lesson Four:

New Stitch: tc and shells.

Make a soda can cozy.

I teach them how to read patterns at each lesson.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
traci1me wrote
on Jan 8, 2013 12:34 PM

This is my first time teaching a crochet class, and I was very nervous and confused as to what to teach!  Thank you so much.Smile

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS