Writing a book?

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 41
SbutterAMfly wrote
on Oct 2, 2007 1:23 PM

I've noticed that there are many members on here who have written (or are writing) a book. I'd love to learn how you got that ball rolling, and how the experience is going.

I too would love to write a crochet (or knit, can I say that here?) related book, and have NO idea where to begin. Should I have designs created (or swatched) before going to a publisher; how much information do I need to have before searching for a publisher; how much time do you get after signing a contract do you have to complete the book?

Any help would be great!

~Kristen~

Visit my website

~Kristen~

Visit my website

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
Robyn@6 wrote
on Oct 5, 2007 5:39 PM

That's a great question, Kristen!

I can't speak for all publishers, but I can speak to my experience. I approached my publisher with just an idea for the current crochet book I'm writing. They liked it so then I took about a month and developed a very detailed proposal. I had sketches and swatched for ea design in the book, a detailed outline of ea chapter in the book, an exec summary of why they will want to publish my book, and general bio stuff. They then pitched the book to the committee and about a month later I was under contract. (I have been blogging about it on my blog if you are interested in what I turned in and whatnot).

As for how long to write it. I am writing mine in 6 monthes, some people can do it shorter and some longer. All that you can negotiate in your contract.

I would definitely do some research on publishers too, since I think any publisher would be lucky to score your designs. I love going to TNNA when I can. Its a great opportunity to talk one on one with all the publishers in the industry and see how they do things. And talk with other designers and get their experiences too.

Hope that helped some. Good luck!

Robyn

crochet by faye

Robyn

crochet by faye

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 41
SbutterAMfly wrote
on Oct 11, 2007 1:31 PM
Thanks Robyn!

That was really helpful. I loved reading about your process on your blog. It was really inspiring. I've begun my research into publishers, and I'm lucky enough to work with Pam Allen, so I'm hoping to get a moment to pick her brain about the book writing process too.

Another question has come up... Do you know if it's common for the publisher to generally pay for the garments? Like, if I contracted out the creation of the garment to a knitter or crocheter, does that come from my pocket, or the publishers?

I would also love to hear other stories from more authors, if you're out there!

I'm starting to blog about my process too, if you're curious

Thanks!

~Kristen~

Visit my website

~Kristen~

Visit my website

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
Robyn@6 wrote
on Oct 23, 2007 8:04 AM

Hi Kristen,

In my experience, you pay for your contract crocheters out of your budget.

Can't wait to hear how it goes! I'll definitely be following on your blog.

Robyn

crochet by faye

Robyn

crochet by faye

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Aug 11, 2008 6:59 PM

Hey, Sbutteramfly. I'm a librarian and I have a lot of experience networking with authors. I checked out your thread because I've also been putting together ideas for a book proposal. :) Here is one piece of advice that was passed on to me:

Check out this editor's blog: http://nathanbransford.blogspot.com/.

If you check his older posts, he gives a lot of good advice about how to do a query letter, how to write a proposal, etc. The craft book world may seem a little different from the rest of the literary scene, but it's still competitive and any editor will appreciate a really captivating query letter. Good luck! I look forward to seeing your future work.

www.librarylolita.etsy.com

Not Ranked
Posts 4
WilsonSmith wrote
on Mar 10, 2014 8:00 AM

Writing a book is half the job done, as publishing is not at all tough nowadays with the self publishing options across the net.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS