As soon as I saw a picture of this throw, I knew it would be perfect for my daughter. I first saw it in the Lion Brand catalog and when they made all their patterns free, it was an instant download. It was planned to be a Christmas present, and I started work on it back in September thinking that would be plenty of time.
This is also the first time (ever!) that I've made something in the specified yarn. I try to avoid acrylic, but my thinking was that I'd get the exact throw if I used the exact yarn. Vanna's Choice goes on sale regularly at Michael's so that played into my decision also.
I have lots of photos, and would love to put them up. I haven't been here for a while and can't seem to find the instructions to post photos, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
Needless to say, this was not completed in time for Christmas. I've shown the pieces to my daughter and she does like it, so I'm pretty obligated to get it finished in a timely fashion.
Here are the different medallions:
They're not very complicated to stitch, and the written instructions are very clear. The larger motifs take about 3 hours each to finish. The smaller ones take about an hour. There are some other parts also:
Tassel with completed cap
and the tassel buttons
I haven't made the tassel cords yet, I'll do that when I need them. I've started the joining, and the instructions for this step are pretty vague: "Following assembly diagram, sew motifs together. Weave in ends." So far, I have the center motif A with the B's attached. It took a couple of starts and tear outs to get the spacing figured out. Also, I tried sewing them and that looked awful. I'm using a chain-stitch join and that has made all the difference. Its a very sturdy join but doesn't look overly bulky.
Here's what's been completed so far:
Next step: Motif C gets attached all the way around. This is a large motif and I'm still trying to figure out how many stitches at each attachment point. Once I have that figured out, the actual attaching goes pretty quickly.
FYI, the "Temair Throw" pattern, is still available (free) on the Lionbrand website. I had to check after seeing your pix's. I loved them so much, I wanted to make one for myself. I've downloaded the pattern and plan to take advantage of the sales that are on now and get started. This is my kind of project, because of the motifs. That way I can work at my own pace and won't get bored with it taking so long. ;~) Thanks, so much for sharing.
FYI, the "Temair Throw" pattern, is still available (free) on the Lionbrand website. I had to check after seeing your pix's. I loved them so much, I wanted to make one for myself. I've downloaded the pattern and plan to take advantage of the sales that are on now and get started. This is my kind of project, because of the motifs. That way I can work at my own pace and won't get bored with it taking so long. ;~) Thanks, so much for sharing. marietweet
Thanks, Karen. Another first for me - actually completing a 'motif' project. Usually I start making them because they're so easy and quick, then they end up in a bag and never get put together. This was a little different though, as they're all different and its pretty fast to make only 10 of something. Suggestion - buy one extra skein. I ended up needing that extra for the tassels. And I may need another, come to think of it, as I haven't made all the tassel caps yet either.
For the tassel caps, I changed hook size to a G. I made 2 with the larger hook just to make sure the first one wasn't a hideous accident. The were so big and loose the tassel itself just got lost inside. I'm much happier with the smaller ones and they don't look out of place. It was worth the experiment.
Then there's the tassel cords. I couldn't make that work either so I'm going to try I-cord or chaining the required length, then slip-stitching into the back loop (also with the smaller hook or appropriate needles).
I expect to get back to the joining today and hope to have more photos tonight. I've been busy knitting little hats with skulls on them for my grandkids.
These are fun and quick, I may make one for myself!
I don't know why my posts are repeated(I only clicked "post" 1 time)....sorry. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll purchase extra yarn & test my hook size too.
The caps are cute. I don't knit, though. Another thing that I want to relearn in 2010. :)
OMG Karen T! My mom made this same afghan for someone for Christmas except she is using black. It's beautiful too......I hope to make it for a friend of mine next year for Christmas. Maybe I should start soon!
Your pictures were so helpful, especial for Motif A, because I wasn't sure I was supposed to fasten off and then start the petals because the pattern doesn't mention it. Thanks for posting them. I am really enjoying this project.
Ah, I'm so glad you posted this, because I ran into the same thing. It says "fasten off" at the end of every motif except A, but I can't imagine how I'd do the petals without breaking the yarn after the basic round. (I actually tried to do it without breaking it, thinking maybe there's something I'm not getting. Nope, gotta break it.)
If someone else has a different take, I'd really like to hear it. I'm trying to follow this pattern exactly, and would like to know if I'm perhaps doing something wrong. Thanks again!
THANK YOU for posting this. It was the only place I could find indiviual photos of each motif. I was confused on Motif C and your photo helped me.