Emergency Stitch-In for Haiti

This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
soapmommy wrote
on Jan 19, 2010 8:29 AM
Yak-n-Yarn Small Group Ministry of the Church of the Good Shepherd UMC will host an emergency stitch-in for the residents of Haiti, this Friday night, January 22, from 6-10 pm in Fellowship Hall at Church of the Good Shepherd, 5 West Washington Street, Oswego, IL.  We will make 6" knitted and crocheted squares that will be stitched into afghans, then shipped via UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) to Haiti.  Any and all HANDMADE afghans, quilts and blankets will be accepted (finished size 36" x 48" preferred), as will squares made ahead of time.  Those attending are asked to bring a snack to share, their materials (worsted weight acrylic yarn and needles/hook), and a friend or two.   You may use any pattern of your choice, as long as the final product is 6" square.

This is also a great opportunity for those who would like to learn either knitting or crocheting - please bring a skein of worsted weight yarn and either a size J crochet hook or size 10 knitting needles. 
I am well aware that currently the Red Cross and others are saying "send $$$".  By all means, if you have any extra $$, please send a donation to the charity of your choice!  This is an opportunity for those who have more time and yarn than $$$, or for those who would like to help in a more hands-on fashion than simply sending a check.  
If anyone has any questions, please email me at soapmommy@sbcglobal.net
*Just a guideline to help with size...  I have been making my squares in all dc for sake of speed, with an I/9 size hook.  Ch 22, dc in 4th ch from hook and across.  Ch 3, turn.  Dc across all following rows.  I have been doing 11 rows to get 6".*
Not Ranked
Posts 1
KathleenZ@5 wrote
on Jan 19, 2010 8:46 AM

I'm also making 6x6 granny squares for Hugs for Haiti.  I'm going to try your pattern for the squares

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Hind wrote
on Jan 22, 2010 3:25 AM

hi 

this is a great effort and i pray it is a great sucess.

''Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." by Scott Adams in The Dilbert Principle (Collins)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jan 23, 2010 8:07 AM

Wonderful idea, so wonderful in fact, that I am organizing a group here in Peoria, IL.  Thanks for the motivation and inspiration to do something meaningful!

--------------->Summer Lively

---------->Summer

Not Ranked
Posts 2
soapmommy wrote
on Jan 24, 2010 7:25 AM

Summer - that's aweome!  Happy Stitching!

soapmommy

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS