Scarves for Special Olympics

This post has 22 Replies | 8 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Vanessa H wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 2:40 PM

Please join me in helping make scarves for the 2011 Special Olympics Washington State Winter Games in March 2011.  They are expecting 2,500 Athletes and our goal is to be able to give each Athlete their own handmade scarf.  Scarves need to be approx. 5" wide by 55" long either crocheted or knitted.  The colors are Red Heart Super Saver Cherry Red and White.  You can use your own pattern or use any of the patterns listed on webpage.  Please send the completed scarves to:

Scarves for WA Special Olympics
c/o Vanessa Hailey
10995 Warfield Road
Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284

Due date for scarves is February 25, 2011

If you have any questions please contact me at vanessa@nwcorrosion.com.

Here is the link to the webpage:  http://milesofsmiles4charity.blogspot.com/

There are a bunch of free scarf patterns here!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Lizzy@16 wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 5:39 PM

Hi Vanessa, I would love to make some scarves for Special Olympics!  Is there a place where we are keeping count?  Peace, Lizzy  dogscatsbun@yahoo.com

Peace, Lizzy

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Vanessa H wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 6:00 PM
There is a running total on the blog page. So far we have 84 out of 2,500 scarves. Thanks for helping with the project!
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Vanessa H wrote
on Apr 12, 2010 12:59 PM

I posted some pictures of scarves received here: http://milesofsmiles4charity.blogspot.com/

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Vanessa H wrote
on Apr 21, 2010 9:34 AM

Here is a new pattern I added today.  You can also find it and an update on the project here:

http://milesofsmiles4charity.blogspot.com/

Box Scarf

H hook
Red Heart Super Saver Cherry Red and White

Square (make 11):

With white, ch 4, join in 1st ch to form a circle.

Rnd 1:  ch 3 (ch 3 counts as a dc), 2 dc in ring, *ch 2, 3 dc in ring, rep from * twice more. ch 2, join to beg ch 3.

Rnd 2:  ch 3, dc in next 2 dc, *(2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch 2 space, dc in next 3 dc, rep from * twice more. (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch 2 space, join to ch 3. Cut white.

Rnd 3:  Join red with a slipstitch in any ch 2 space. ch 3, (dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same space, *dc in next 7 dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch 2 space, rep from * twice more.  dc in next 7 dc, join to ch 3.

Rnd 4:  Slipstitch to ch 2 space, ch 3, (dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same space, *dc in next 11 dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch 2 space, rep from * twice more. dc in next 11 dc, join to ch 3.

Finish off and weave in ends.

Make 11 squares and sew or crochet them together.  You can do whatever color combinations you want to come up with different looks.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 49
on Apr 21, 2010 9:21 PM

That's pretty. I like it, very classic. I have always loved the combination of red and white .

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on May 31, 2010 9:27 PM

It is very nice . . . .

how do the splits, do the splits

how to learn the splits, learn the splits

Not Ranked
Posts 10
on Jul 22, 2010 8:08 PM

It looks as if it has been a few months since an update on the count of scarves. Also, I would love to make and send a few scarves. Thank you for the opportunity to help!

Dot

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Vanessa H wrote
on Jul 22, 2010 8:19 PM
Thanks for helping make scarves! You can find an ongoing update on the main web page http://www.milesofsmiles4charity.blogspot.com/
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Vanessa H wrote
on Jul 31, 2010 3:56 PM

Check out the new pictures posted!

http://milesofsmiles4charity.blogspot.com/

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Iamsocrafty wrote
on Aug 13, 2010 11:40 PM

Will do!

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Vanessa H wrote
on Aug 25, 2010 10:55 AM

The deadline for the star scarves contest has been extended to September 30! That will give people a little more time to get their scarves in.

Win a $20 Gift Card!

I am starting a contest with a different theme each month.  The winner will receive a $20 gift card to either Jo-Anns, Michaels, or Wal-Mart (depending on which craft store is located in the area that they live).  I will also post a picture of the winning scarf on the blog with credit given to the person who submitted the scarf.  If you would like I will also post it as a free pattern on the blog. 

Here are the specifics for the month of August:
Send in your STAR themed scarves - we (myself and a panel of judges) will vote on our favorite star themed scarf that is sent in the month of August.  Anything goes as long as you stick with the Red Heart Super Saver Cherry Red and White for the yarn - you can work a star into the design, you can sew on crocheted stars, buttons, etc. as long as you stick with the red and white color scheme.  Please remember that the athletes will be wearing these at the Winter Games, so they also need to be practical.  (No glitter, please because it makes a mess everywhere and would get all over the athlete's clothing)  All scarves have to be postmarked by August 31st.  I will have a new theme for the month of September.

Let's get those creative juices flowing!  I'm anxious to see what you can come up with!
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Sep 28, 2010 9:45 PM

The link listed above is closed.  Is there another.

Also, I read that the colors for the 2011 games were not going to be announced until

October 1st.

The Georgia olympics is using red and white.  Is that the colors for all of the games?

Craftmom4748

Not Ranked
Posts 2
-brookfield- wrote
on Oct 12, 2010 2:09 PM

I am unable to get ino the webpage link.  Can you help me?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
hooks2books wrote
on Oct 20, 2010 7:33 PM

Hello,

One of the gals in my knit and crochet group was working on scarves for this project, but all of a sudden the gal who was running the project disappeared.  The blog has been disabled and no one knows what is going on with scarves that had been delivered to her for the state of Washington.  Sad  Very sad.  I mean if they had all the scarves they needed then why not tell every one right?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS