THE OFFICIAL OCEAN PEARLS CARDIGAN POST

This post has 68 Replies | 13 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 426
Marcy Smith wrote
on Apr 25, 2010 11:54 PM

More than 1,300 people voted in this Crochet-Along and 690 votes went to the Ocean Pearls Cardigan.

This pattern is available in the Summer 2008 issue of Interweave Crochet or as a download (click on the link above).

Here are the pattern details:

Finished Size: 33 1/4 (36 1/2, 40, 43 1/2, 50)" bust circumference. Garment shown measures 36 1/2"; 0–1" of ease is suggested.
Yarn: GGH Mystik (54% cotton, 46% viscose; 120 yd [110 m]/1 3/4 oz [50 g]): #75, 9 (10, 12, 13, 15) skeins. Yarn distributed by Muench Yarns.
Yarn weight: #3 - Light, DK
Gauge: 19 sts and 10 rows = 4" in dc.
Hook: Size G/6 (4 mm). Adjust hook size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.
Notions: Yarn needle; 1 yard of 1/2" wide ribbon.

I've swatched three yarns and have fallen in love with a yarn that doesn't crochet to gauge, so I'll be adjusting the size accordingly. I'll write more about this on my blog later this week.

Meanwhile, scout around for your favorite DK (or even sport) weight yarn.

Here's the schedule:

April 26-30: Select yarn and do swatches.
May 3-10: Crochet the back.
May 11-20: Crochet the fronts.
May 21-30: Crochet the sleeves.
May 31-June 4: Blocking, seaming and finishing. Post pictures of your finished sweater!
June 5: Wear your sweater and get ready for the next Crochet-Along!

This schedule allows for the many events that seem to crop up in May. If you get carried away (it's a pretty addictive pattern, with the bobbles punctuating the pattern just enough to keep it interesting), by all means move along at your own pace! Be sure to let all of us know your progress as you move along. Please post your replies to this thread only, so we can all keep track in a single location.

Happy crocheting!
Marcy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Apr 28, 2010 1:59 PM

Marcy, on the Interweave website, it suggests a #2 yarn, but you've stated a #3 yarn in the post. 

I have never done a garment before and don't know how the difference in yarn will affect my piece. Does it matter which yarn? 

The first of many questions to come, I'm sure! 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 426
Marcy Smith wrote
on Apr 28, 2010 4:51 PM

Hi jli2!

Yes, the Web site and printed pattern erroneously listed this yarn as a #2 / fine. I updated the description here to #3/DK.

It will indeed make a difference. You should look for a DK or sport weight (these are slightly different in weight, but close enough).

I've done my swatches & can't wait to get started!
Marcy

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Gale Kenison wrote
on Apr 28, 2010 5:40 PM

How do we get to the download, I cannot seem to find the right place.  Do we order the pattern to be able to download?  I think I am behind again already  lol.

Thank you.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
on Apr 28, 2010 8:31 PM

Hi Gale,

Yes, click on Download Pattern, and Add to Cart, and then you purchase the pattern, and a PDF of the pattern will be available for you to download and save to your computer.  I just did it a few minutes ago (took no time at all).

I'm looking forward to joining you all in this Crochet Along!  I'm off to browse for my yarn tomorrow, and it will be fun to watch the contributions to the posts...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
on Apr 30, 2010 11:16 AM

Hi Marcy & fellow crocheters,

I've purchased my yarn - I'm using Patons Grace - in Ginger - a pale Wasabi Green colour - it is a mercerized cotton that has a wonderful sheen to it  - can't wait to get started this weekend!

Marcy what yarn did you decide on, and what were the other yarn finalists?  It would be great to hear what others are using for this project,

Take care until next time :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 426
Marcy Smith wrote
on Apr 30, 2010 11:58 AM

Hey All,

I've posted a blog about Bobbles & Hooks here.

Will post a blog soon about the yarn I've selected. Actually, I've selected two yarns--I'm going to attempt to make two of these cardigans! One for me and one for my daughter.

Talk to you again soon!
Marcy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 426
Marcy Smith wrote
on Apr 30, 2010 12:05 PM

Hi Crochet_in_bliss,

Here's my quick answer: I'm using Ester Bitran Linares in 501 for my sweater (you can see it in this blog). For my daughter's sweater, I'm using KnitPicks Shine Sport in Sky. It's still in transit. But I've swatched it in another color & it's great for this sweater. Can't wait to see your Paton's Grace worked up!

Best,

Marcy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 426
Marcy Smith wrote
on May 2, 2010 6:52 PM

LAX field + yarn + hook = good day to crochet

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 426
Marcy Smith wrote
on May 2, 2010 8:31 PM

I've posted a blog on gauge here.

Happy crocheting!
Marcy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 426
Marcy Smith wrote
on May 4, 2010 10:04 PM

NOTE: Just to clarify, when you get to the neck shaping part of the back: on the last set of decreases (where the pattern says "All sizes: Next row"), the ch 3 does NOT count as a st. You work the first dc2tog in the first two st.. (In the body portion of the back, up to this point, the ch 3 does counts a a st).

Carry on.

Marcy

(making mistakes so you don't have to ...)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 93
violetstone wrote
on May 5, 2010 11:30 AM

I don't remember getting a newsletter about this, so I have only just found this post.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Evie T. wrote
on May 5, 2010 12:37 PM

Hello, I have a couple of questions about the gauge swatches:  On the pattern for gauge it says 19 sts and 10 rows = 4" in dc, does this mean just crochet dc for the swatch?  On yours, it looked like you were using the bobble stitches, too.  Then in the pattern,  since the first dc is skipped, when coming back in the next row does one dc in the chain 3?  The yarn I'm using is Louisa Harding Merlette, which I was told would be a close match to the GGH Mystik yarn.  I'm on my 3rd swatch, having trouble getting the stitches small enough.  I'm trying this swatch with a "C" hook.  (At least, in this size I did have a Susan Bates hook!)  Thank you.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 426
Marcy Smith wrote
on May 5, 2010 12:50 PM

Hi violetstone! Welcome aboard!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 426
Marcy Smith wrote
on May 5, 2010 1:02 PM

Hi Evie T!

True, I did my swatches with the bobbles, so I could test out my hook bobble-wise as well as gauge-wise. I also did a plain dc swatch as well. I found that the gauge was the same for both.

C hook is much smaller than suggested. Are the bobbles working well for you? You must be happy with the way those are working up or you will lose your mind. So, find the hook that's happiest with the ayrn and then we'll find the size that works best with the gauge you're getting. Sound good?

I did lots of swatches! You will find your happy gauge soon, then the sweater will move along swimmingly!

Best,

Marcy

Page 1 of 5 (69 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS