THE OFFICIAL OCEAN PEARLS CARDIGAN POST

This post has 68 Replies | 13 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 8
kcpklahn wrote
on May 6, 2010 3:01 PM

Hello, Marcy---I've just begun the cardigan this week.  It's such a pretty pattern.  I'm crocheting with Paton's Grace, as suggested by another crocheter.  Spearmint is the yarn name.  It's a variegated yarn of white, yellow, green and blue.  The bobble gave me some trouble.  As I posted at your bobble/bullion instruction blog, your photos are very helpful.

So far, so good,

Kim

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 424
Marcy Smith wrote
on May 6, 2010 3:12 PM

I'd love to see a picture of your yarn worked up! I was so keen on working with a color-change yarn, but disappointed with my first swatch. And I made a rookie eror with my hand-dyed, which I'll post as soon as I can ..

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
AnnetteL@5 wrote
on May 7, 2010 8:34 AM

Hi Marcy,  I just started my cardigan this week. I'm using Paton's Grace in Sky. I had trouble at first doing my swatch when the bobble gave me a rough go...but then...got the little devil and now the back is coming along like a dream, looking good so far. Thanks for all of your help on this. Annette

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
on May 7, 2010 8:44 PM

Hi Marcy!   Just wanted to say how much I appreciated the blog on the bobbles and the difference that using an in-line head would make for the ease of these bobbles - I can't believe that after 40 years or so of crocheting, I never really noticed the difference between the swanlike heads and the straight head, and when I experimented with both variations I was surprised how much better the Susan Bates hook (in-line head) was.

Seems like I started a trend with the Patons Grace yarn!  I have found that my stitches must be looser than the gauge, and I am using a 3.75 mm hook with the Patons Grace, and I am still large on the gauge, so after a little math, I have determined that I should use the Medium stitch counts, to achieve the Large dimensions that I want.   But because I still want the lengths of the Large size, I am going to work to the lengths (sleeve, arms) of the Large size directions - I have found in the past when I have done a swatch for other patterns that Julia Vaconsin has designed, that I am always at a much larger stitch than her suggested hook sizes - she must be a tight crocheter.

Don't know if I will finish the back to our schedule, but since it promises to be a rainy weekend here in Southern Ontario, Canada, I should definitely make a big dent in the progress!

Anyway, I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts - wonder how the gauge is working up for the other Patons Grace users.

Take care, until next time :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Evie T. wrote
on May 8, 2010 7:47 AM

Hi Marcy,  Thank you for the help.  I gave up on the Louise Harding yarn for now and am trying with Caron Spa, which I had at home.  I was able to achieve the correct gauge with a "B" hook.  The bobble was still very difficult, which you suggested would be the case with the smaller hook, so instead of ending up with 10 loops to pull the hook through I yo and pull up a loop and then yo and pull it through two loops the 4 times, ending up with 5 loops on the hook and I can do it that way.  I hope that will work out okay.    I was glad to hear other crocheters need to use smaller hooks, too; I usually don't have to go down more than 2 hook sizes, though!  And, the Patons Grace sure has lots of nice colors-wish we had a good local  yarn shop!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
on May 8, 2010 1:48 PM

Hi Marcy & fellow crocheters,

Here are a few pics of my progress with the Patons Grace in Ginger. The colours are much more vivid in real life - these were taken on a phone camera...  Take care until next time :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 93
violetstone wrote
on May 8, 2010 1:51 PM

This project does look interesting and I would love to join, but I have a craft fair coming up at the end of May so I have to concentrate on making things for that. Hope this is the first of many crochet alongs.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
kcpklahn wrote
on May 8, 2010 6:25 PM

Not Ranked
Posts 8
kcpklahn wrote
on May 8, 2010 6:31 PM

Marcy and Crochet Friends,

Above is the photo of my cardigan back.  I've finished about 8 inches.  The Patons Grace is very smooth working.  I'm a novice at blogging.  My 15-year old assisted me with the photo.

Happy Mother's Day to all,

Kim

Not Ranked
Posts 8
kcpklahn wrote
on May 8, 2010 6:37 PM

Thanks for recommending Patons Grace.  I like working with it.  The G hook is keeping me on gauge.  I just posted a photo of the Spearmint yarn.

Back to my project,

Kim

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
AnnetteL@5 wrote
on May 9, 2010 1:17 PM

Hi Marcy and crocheters, Here's pic's of my cardi so far in Paton's Sky. The G hook with the in-line head works great for me. I have 12" so far. Annette

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
AnnetteL@5 wrote
on May 10, 2010 2:23 PM

Hi  Marcy,  I just finished  row 4 for sizes 361/2(40,43 1/2,50) only, I'm making the 36 1/2, I have 73 sts, now when I go on to all sizes to work in pattern dec 2 tog at beg and end , I only loose 2 sts., so I have 71 . The pattern says I should have 67....then rep 2 more times, I'm supposed to have 63(this figures out ok)....am I missing something? OR  am I doing something wrong?   Annette

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 424
Marcy Smith wrote
on May 10, 2010 2:35 PM

Hi Annette,

If you end up with 63 st after working reps, you are good.

In row 4, the numbers shift, because the directions separate out the sizes. So size 36 1/2 is the first number in the parentheses up until Row 4. Then, since Row 4 starts with size 36 1/2, the number is the first one (before the parentheses). After row 4, you should have 69 st. At the All Sizes row, you're back to your place as the first number in the parentheses.

Make sense?

Marcy

Not Ranked
Posts 6
MarenM@2 wrote
on May 10, 2010 3:36 PM

I really want to do this crochet-along, even though it's a little late to start.  I like someone's idea about using Paton's Grace; there's a color of that I just love.  I think I might try to do an alternative closure, though; I don't really like the ribbon.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 424
Marcy Smith wrote
on May 10, 2010 7:46 PM

Hi MarenM@2!
Come join us!
I'll be doing a different closure, too -- I'm not really a ribbon gal. What do you have in mind?

I look forward to seeing the color you love!
Marcy

Page 2 of 5 (69 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS