Looking for crochet pattern for Pakol hat

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
angiesen wrote
on May 30, 2010 7:26 AM

Hi there

A friend has asked me to crochet a pakol hat for him, the kind that the Afghani men wear - flat crown with roll up side.  I've been searching high and low for a pattern and I wondered if anyone had come across something like this.  I have found one or two patterns for berets that I could probably adapt but I'm not very clever at designing things.  If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear from you.

Best regards, Angie

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Paint Girl wrote
on Nov 18, 2011 3:00 PM

Hey Angie,

This maybe after the event but this is how I did one similar. I do freestyle crochet so I apologise if it's not a proper pattern.

Use natural fibres heavy on the wool for authenticity, but my skin doesn't like it so I use heavier on the cotton, linen, soya, bamboo. Use a hook that is fairly small for the thickness of yarn so the crocheted stuff comes out quite dense. I think the look is better for a pakol using dc (Not sure if this is the same in american or where you are, but it's the stich that pulls the yarn through the chain without a loop and then next move is hook pulls fresh yarn through two chains on the hook and that is one stitch!)

Do a circle, like a placemat until the circumference is about 23/24" (depends on size of head to be fitted: I kept putting it on my head til I liked it.) Make it a little smalller if you like as the ridge to finish the peice will create a little extra circumference. You now have the top. You can add a round of a different stitch somewhere in the middle of this if you get bored.

Next you need to make the shaft of the hat. Do a round in dc to the circumference that is a little loose for the head. Then you keep going on that until 10 - 15" whatever takes your fancy. Roll it up and try it on, to see how big you want the roll. When you're happy with it join it to the placemat. If I want a ridge, which I suggest you do, for a Pakol, join the pieces with another round of dc.

I haven't actually made a pakol, but I have had great success with this way of working and have done similar things. I have to work this way as I can't count for toffee and keep going off at tangents in the middle when I get bored.

I hope if you do decide to do this it works as well for you.

Cat

Not Ranked
Posts 2
angiesen wrote
on Nov 20, 2011 6:39 AM
Hi Cat

Thank you for your email.  Gosh, that was quite a while ago.  I did make a hat which I designed myself and used a fairly similar method to yours.  The yarn I used was a very chunky Rowan wool (I can't now remember what it's called) which has flecks of colour in it so when it's made up gives a kind of tweedy effect.

I have a picture of it  - hope this works and you can see it.
Where are you based?  I am in Kent in UK.

Lovely to hear from you.
Best regards
Angie
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Paint Girl wrote
on Nov 20, 2011 3:00 PM

And you say you're no good at designing things. That looks fantastic. You did a great job! I'm in Eastbourne, East Sussex. Small world, huh! I just assumed you were in the states as most of the English speaking internet seems amerocentric (Is that even a word? Oh well, it is now.)

I only found your post as I'm lookng for how to make a berqa - not in crochet, I hasten to add - and I followed the link becasue I like crochet.

Another thing you can do is felt it after you've made it. I can't do that to anything I wear as I can't do wool, but it does seem to give more structure, which I have used in my more mad hats. Of course you have to allow for the shrinkage in the sizing, which can make for interesting results.

It's nice to talk to some one in GB for a change. Have you any more interesting projects, or was this a once off.

All the best

Cat

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS