Baby Blanket

This post has 12 Replies | 7 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
mpisciotta wrote
on Jun 7, 2010 12:23 PM

Hi...I am needing any suggestions for a quick, but cute baby blanket.  Anyone have a pattern they have used that's a winner and would love to share?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Jun 7, 2010 9:55 PM

Boy, this is a wide open question!

Something quick is to do a basic granny square in the colors of your choice. I'm working on one now and it works up super quick! I'm thinking I'll probably do a shell border to jazz it up. No pattern needed if you already know how to do granny square. If not, this is a great link to get you started. You'll be off and running in no time!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mpisciotta wrote
on Jun 7, 2010 11:40 PM

Thank you for your input and advice.....I know I left myself wide open, but that's how we try new things!!  I wanted to crochet a baby blanket that would not drive me into a nervous fit in the middle of it.  I'm still learning myself, and when I get stuck I head to the computer to look up a video of the stitch.  I've taught myself through many rough spots.  Anyway....thanks again and have a great one.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
momskii wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 12:16 PM

I just finished a "V" stitch baby blanket that took one skein of the new baby colors that was on sale at Joanne's for 6.99.  The blanket I made didn't even use the entire skein.  I finished it in a weekend (maybe about 10 hours) but it goes very quickly.  I try to make a blanket every once and awhile to donate to my hospital for the babies.  Usually, a baby in the family comes along and I give it as a present.  Most mothers today don't get anything for the baby that is handmade.  If you search for V stitch you will find the pattern.  I have trouble remembering how to end the rows, otherwise I would put it here for you.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mpisciotta wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 2:45 PM

Thank you for your response....I'll do a search on it!!  One skein sounds great too!!

Have a blessed day,

Maureen

Not Ranked
Posts 2
cassieknits4 wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 5:20 PM

Worsted Weight 4 yarn of your choice (I like Bamboo Ewe by Stitch Nation), size K hook. 

Ch. 131

Half-Double Crochet across.  Ch.2.  Insert hook 2nd loop from hook.  HDC across.  Turn and repeat for length desired.  You can always decrease the chain amount depending on how big a blanket you want to make.  You could add stripes every 4 rows, which is what I'm doing.

Edging:  I am using the following all the way around:  Slip Stitch in first corner loop.  Skip 2 stitches, *5DC in next stich.  Skip 2.  Slip sitch in next*. Continue from *all the way around making sure to work 3 DC's in each corner turn.  Slip stitch and fasten off.  Weave in ends.  Quick and pretty! 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
tamarque wrote
on Jun 29, 2010 7:26 AM

If I want to do something very simple, I use color to dress it up.  Stripes are easy and you can add

all kinds of color--do not be shy; use up those little leftover balls.  Crochet in the ends as you go to

save finishing time later.  This does not work well with a lacy pattern.

Another idea is to do a simple blanket and crochet in a brightly colored pocket on the blanket.

Put a big flower applique on the pocket.

Do separate panels where you can explore color and stitching.  Just be careful of the guage which

may be different with different stitiches.  I made that mistake with a really nice baby blanket I did last

year and the center of the blanket pulled in.   Same holds true if you mix/match different yarns.

Have fun

tanya

Not Ranked
Posts 1
JosieL1985 wrote
on Jun 29, 2010 11:33 AM

I recently finished my first baby blanket and like you i wanted something simple so I wouldn't get discourage on finishing. I found this pattern for a Tiramisu Blanket.

http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/TiramisuBlanket.pdf 

Even the edging was very easy to do and it is a beautiful blanket.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Katasha wrote
on Jul 20, 2010 7:53 PM

Hi,

Yes, I absolutely do!  This is going to be my signature baby blanket from now on!  If you haven't already made it, Google "Tiramisu Baby Blanket."  You should get a pattern to a tiramisu colored blanket that has a coffee colored ribbon threaded through it.

I made this for a shower.  It was so quick, and ended up beautiful! 

or..just go here....  http://www.knittingpatternaday.com/images/crochet_sample.pdf

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mpisciotta wrote
on Jul 21, 2010 9:07 AM

I love this blanket pattern....it's simple and adorable!!  I've finished my first one, but I can do another!  I just found out yesterday that it's a girl, so now I can go crazy with everything!!

Thanks to you ladies for your ideas!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 513
Char55 wrote
on Jul 24, 2010 12:15 PM

Regarding the Tiramisu baby blanket, while it's very pretty, it's not practical. The ribbon trim could easily come undone and present a choking/strangle hazard to the baby.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Iamsocrafty wrote
on Aug 13, 2010 11:28 PM

I do a basic granny square with the many baby yarns they have available these days. I have made a couple so far. I would like to learn a new pattern myself, but the granny square is classic!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
nana_gaylord wrote
on May 8, 2014 11:55 AM

I think the blanket with the ribbon is really pretty for presentation, but I would advise the parent to remove it!  I like that it is a good blanket to knit up in a neutral color and then you can add the ribbon to fit nursery colors, or favorite colors or any other "mommy loves it"-specific feature!! 

I also saw the basic tiramisu blanket with a different border that had some wonderful pops of color.  It made me buy the crochet edgings book, but I don't remember where I saw the picture now!  That's what's great about knitting and crocheting, you can take what you like and add the rest!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS