The Official Autumn Romance Pullover Crochet-Along

This post has 22 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 426
Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 15, 2010 2:03 PM

More than 600 people voted in this Crochet-Along and 263 (42.6%) votes went to the Autumn Romance Pullover.  

This pattern by Annette Petavy from the Fall 2007 issue of Interweave Crochet is available as an individual pattern in the Interweave Store or on Volume two of our new CDs of back issues.

Here are the pattern details:

Finished Size: 36 (38, 40 1/2, 43)" bust circumference. Garment shown measures 36".
Yarn: Blue Sky Alpacas Alpaca Silk (50% alpaca, 50% silk; 146 yds [133 m]/1 3/4 oz [50 g]; CYCA-standard yarn weight system-3): #136 champagne, 10 (10, 11, 12) skeins.
Yarn weight: #3 - Light
Gauge: 10 sts = 6" and 10 rows = 4" in open V-st patt.
Needles: Hooks: Size G/7 (4.5 mm). Adjust hook size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.
Notions: Yarn needle.

I'm getting set to swatch a few yarns. You have lots of options here for fiber—you can use the alpaca silk blend or maybe you want a more summery cotton blend. So scout around for your favorite DK (or even sport) weight yarn.

Here's the schedule:

June 15-18: Select yarn and do swatches.
June 20-26: Crochet the back.
June 27-July 3: Crochet the front.
July 4-10: Crochet the sleeves.
July 10-15: Blocking, seaming and finishing. Post pictures of your finished sweater!

We found in the last Crochet-Along that deadlines really helped in finishing the project! We were also inspired by others' progress photos, so be sure to post pictures as you go along. Also post any questions you have about the patterns.

Please post your replies to this thread only, so we can all keep track in a single location.

Happy crocheting!
Marcy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 426
Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 22, 2010 7:57 PM

Hello CALers!

I know you're out there, swatching away.

Here are my swatches:

The two I really like are Manos del Uruguay Serena in the bottom left and Kollage Creamy at the upper right. Serena is a sport/DK cotton/alpaca blend that is a joy to crochet. I made a hat out of it (read about it here). Creamy is 80% milk (yes, milk) and 20% soy. It's deliciously light and airy, just right for a summer sweater.

But the winner for this sweater is a whole different yarn. It is this:

The yarn is Honor, a brand-new blend by Lorna's Laces. It's a 4-ply DK 70% baby alpaca and 30% silk. The sepia lighting there doesn't do justice to the Watercolor colorway. I'll do better next time.

Gauge is perfect and this swatch crocheted up in no time. I can't wait for my bundle of yarn to arrive in the mail (yes, I checked the LYS first—it's not in yet).

So what yarn have you settled on? Are all those swatches working out?

Marcy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 426
Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 24, 2010 5:48 PM

The yarn is here!

Isn't it a lot prettier than in that other picture?

I can't wait to wind it up & get started!

And I can't wait to see what yarn you are using!

Happy crocheting,

Marcy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
AnnetteL@5 wrote
on Jun 25, 2010 6:42 AM

Marcy, I decided to join you in this crochet-along. I'm starting late, I know, I have to swatch yet. My yarn of choice is #146 Blue Sky Alpacas  50%silk, 50%alpaca, it's a dark pink? called passion fruit...I also liked the champagne, but I think pink is my color. I will post a pic when my son is here to help me. I'm excited to start, Annette

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 426
Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 25, 2010 7:58 PM

Hi Annette!
Glad to have you aboard. Excellent yarn choice!
The stitch pattern is really addictive. Seems to almost crochet itself.

Can't wait to see pix!
Marcy

Not Ranked
Posts 5
kakmeehan wrote
on Jun 26, 2010 10:34 AM

Hi Marcy,

That yarn is gorgeous!  I may have to make two just so I can play in your yarn choice.

I chose Berroco's Pure Pima in a pale pink for this project.  I didn't want to wait for yarn in the mail and the LYS had plenty of this one in stock.  It is coming together nicely so I will post pics soon.  My camera has been eating batteries and I can't find the rechargeablesConfused

Kathy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
AnnetteL@5 wrote
on Jun 26, 2010 3:32 PM

Marcy, I've been having a lot of problems, the first was to get the correct gauge. I got it with a G hook 4.5 mm (this can't be a 7 like pattern says, I never heard of a 7 4.5mm ? have I been living under a rock all these years?) This done, a G hook in toe, I crocheted the first 3 rows of pattern, then it said to repeat rows 2&3 until you have 4 3/4" ...well every time I crocheted row 2 then 3 the stitches didn't come out right as per pattern do you know what I mean? I'm tired of frogging...want to pull my hair out and not good for the yarn either....I don't know what to do...I did want to make this, any suggestions? I would burn the yarn, but I'm not at that point yet. Annette

Not Ranked
Posts 5
kakmeehan wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 7:52 AM

Hi Annette,

I am using a G6 (4.0mm) hook for this.  I had never heard of a G7 either.  Not sure if I am getting exact gauge but it looks OK and I think it will fit.

On the repeat rows 2 & 3 part of the instructions, that confused me also.  I could be way wrong but to me this comes off as a one row repeat.  So, I am chaining 3 and V-stitching in the ch1 space of the previous row v-stitch.  The twin stitches are 2 dc in the middle two dc of the first row.  You just repeat that while remembering to use the front loop only to get the ripple effect.  I will see if I can post a picture of it if that will help.

The dec stitches were a bit confusing and then, at last night's baseball game, I forgot to do them.  So, I frogged that back as it is kind of hard to wear a sweater without armholes. 

Kathy

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Cherie70 wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 8:35 AM

Marcy:

My Name is Cherie and I just joined the crochetme family.  Nice to know there are others who love crocheting just as much as I do.  I want to join in the contest so I also will be starting late.  I will have my yarn by Wednesday and will work like crazy to catch up with you guys. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
kakmeehan wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 8:50 AM

side edge of the back

twin stitches

back of the sweater

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
AnnetteL@5 wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 2:42 PM

Dear Kathy, Thanks SO much for your help! I was thinking that it was a mistake where it says repeat rows 2&3 ...that it was a one row repeat instead. Your sweater back looks wonderful...maybe I can get this right afterall......thanks again, I'm off to give this another try. AnnetteBig Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 426
Marcy Smith wrote
on Jul 5, 2010 4:22 PM

Hi Annette!
Did you solve your issue? Are things moving along?

I found the front to be a bit of a challenge, what with shaping the neckline & the armholes at the same time. The scoop neck on mine is less scoopy than the model. I'm good with that, but I may modify the edging so that the scoop doesn't become even less scoopy.

Let us know if you're at a stopping point again—we'll help you out!

Also, I've posted an update here and here.

Happy crocheting!

Marcy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
AnnetteL@5 wrote
on Jul 5, 2010 4:57 PM

Hi Marcy, I'm moving along pretty good now, Kakmeehan helped me out and sent some pic's so I could better understand , so I picked up my hook and this is what I have done so far, the back and 32 rows on the front. Please help me to fix the neck....I would like it less scoopy too. Annette

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 426
Marcy Smith wrote
on Jul 5, 2010 5:21 PM

oh, what a pretty color! I loooove raspberry.

Yes, the shaping makes more sense after you've done it once. The armholes on your back look short. Did you do the "work even until it measures XX inches" before doing neckline shaping? (It's a small but critical line in the patterning :) )

To make my less-scoopy neck, I began shaping the neck after I'd worked six rows of the arm shaping. Then I finished armholw shaping while also doing neckline shaping (photocopying the pattern so I could shuffle the pages helped here.) I think that after blocking it will be a little more scoopy.

Does that help? If not, i'll take another stab :)

Marcy

Not Ranked
Posts 5
kakmeehan wrote
on Jul 5, 2010 7:01 PM

This looks great!  It is such a pretty color!

I am glad the pictures helped.  I actually had to put this down for a few days so I could work on a knitting project.  I started 2 CALs and 1 KAL at the same time, along with a summer sweater just on its own.

So, now that the first part of the KAL is done, I am catching up on the front of Autumn Romance.  I think I am about 22 rows into the front and hoping to get it all down tonight.  I have a sewing project on tap for the morning before work.

Have a good evening!

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS