Prayer Shawl

This post has 28 Replies | 11 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bonnie Lacy wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 7:45 PM

I'm looking for a fast and easy prayer shawl crochet pattern.  Not the one row of sc and three rows of dc into a rectangle.  Anyone have different ideas?  Let me know.  Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,238
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 1:11 PM

Hi,

I love the Cool Wave Shawl. It is a Tunisian shawl with a little more unusual crescent shape. The Tunisian is quite easy once you get the hang of it and it is a great Summer shawl.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 3:33 PM

I love the idea of this shawl, but I'm not about learning a new technique. I'm going camping this weekend and instead of hauling my big granny square project, I'd like to start on something small and light. How could I do a similar type lacy shawl in crochet? Are there any patterns you could direct me to? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,238
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 4:31 PM

You know I don't think I know of one with quite that stitch appearance and shape. You could probably make it up with treble crochet and chains in a filet style with increases or decreases.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
Theresea2 wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 10:48 PM

Howdy, Coffee

I did the very samething went camping with the family, and went home with a finished crochet shawl....

I used a really simple pattern... mind numbing... Yes

A half granny square ... did the trick.... you start with a half granny square and keep on going until you either run out of steam or yarn .... and  it's done.  You can add tassels to it if you like or put an edging on it.  I completed mine over the weekend in time for the ride home.

Depending on the yarn and hook you use the finer the shawl.  I used a 5mm or J hook and sport weight - it's great around the fire on a cooler evening.

Enjoy your camping trip,

Theresee, Cool

Theresee Coffee

.... never without a coffee, never without a hook...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Jun 29, 2010 9:31 AM

Funny you should mention a granny square, because I happen to be working on one such blanket right now too! 

I'm not sure what you mean by "half granny square". Could you give me some more detailed instructions, please? Also, how much yarn did it take to complete? 

I'm rather interested in Toni's idea, but will need to do a little more research about filet, increases and decreases. I know how to do the inc and dcr somewhat, but haven't used the techniques in anything I've made. Time for a video tutorial! 

The key for me is that I don't want to use a pattern. And I would LOVE something light and airy. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,238
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jun 29, 2010 9:53 AM

Have you seen the Swirl Waves Shawl by Kristin Omdahl? It is definitely a light and lacy shawl, and it is actually much larger than normal shawls. I am usually a fan of smaller shawls; I don't like the too long. But I'm not sure you could get the same affect with a smaller shawl. The pattern is a free download by the way. Anyway, you could probably at least dissect the pattern and see how she gets the light and lacy feel.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Jun 29, 2010 2:00 PM

I dropped by my local yarn shop over lunch. I remember during a visit back in March, when my mom was in town, that she had the most gorgeous lacy shawl on a bust form at the front of her shop. My mom commented how dainty and beautiful it was. She still had it there today, although not displayed. I could see right away that it wasn't a crochet shawl, but rather knit. I asked her what stitches were used and if she could write down the pattern for me. She was kind enough to do just that, as well as showing me how to do a twisted drop stitch (she even had me do one to make sure I was doing it right). I've got handwritten instructions and 2 colors of yarn. A pale pink lace-weight Alpaca and a mercerized cotton in a navy blue (with a sheen). It is a rectangular shawl with no finishing, other than binding off. 

The shop owner used silk yarn and another, which slips my mind. My budget couldn't afford that, but I love my yarn choice just the same. I also got size 6 bamboo knitting needles. Total project investment $26. 

So yes, my shawl will actually be knit, not crochet, but if I do well at it, it's going to be gorgeous no matter what! 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
Theresea2 wrote
on Jun 30, 2010 10:23 PM

Oh, lucky you... a visit to the yarn shop... how I could use a trip like that...I'm green with envy.

You sound very excited about your project ... hope you'll post a pic or two of the finished project.  I love bamboo needles, I have both needles and hooks... they warm up after a bit when working with them.  Have you used bamboo needles before?  The best part is how smooth and 'sliddy' they get with time.

Theresea,Coffee

Theresee Coffee

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2010 7:36 AM

Hi Theresee, 

I haven't used bamboo before and while I do admire how well the yarn slides, the needles may not have been the best choice for this project in particular. To get the open, airy feeling, you need a fairly loose tension (I've had to start over twice to get it!).

The combination of lace weight yarn, the twisted drop stitch (knit) and the slippery needles has caused me to drop more stitches than I'm comfortable with! So I am having to be careful and go slow until I really find a rhythm. I'm thinking the other needles she offered (also wood, I can't remember what kind) may have served this project a little better. 

It's a delicate piece and the yarn is something new for me, so I'm really being challenged out of my comfort zone. It's too early to tell if my gauge is correct and the final piece will pull and stretch to the open feel I'm going for. I hope to have made enough progress this weekend to see how well I've done. I'm only 4 rows in at this point! 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
Theresea2 wrote
on Jul 2, 2010 8:31 PM

Howdy, Coffee

You'll get the hang of it ... don't get discouraged... by the end of the weekend, you'll be an old pro at using bamboo neddles.  Have a grand camping trip - stay safe!

Theresee CoolDrinks

Theresee Coffee

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,238
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jul 7, 2010 11:58 AM

I haven't done much work with bamboo, though I am a huge fan of wood. I love the warmth and feel of the hook or needles in my hands.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
Theresea2 wrote
on Jul 7, 2010 11:30 PM

Howdy, Coffee

I love them, believe it or not it was my son who introduced them to me, he was looking for something different to give me for christmas = an idea he got from his grandmother.

I have several different ones - plain everyday type of hook, simliar to the plastic and metal hooks and several of the ornate ones (my fav's) - there longer than the others and prettier to work with.  I have one that was my mothers, she wore it in well, if you look closely you can see her thumb imprint on it.

I have my mom's wooden knitting needle set, i'm not much of a knitter, so I haven't used them much.... I have a fav metal pair I like to use, which I usually end up retruning to.  I find it funny how we favorite certain tools to use, my aunt refused to finish a knitted afghan once because she lost her favorite needles, even though I replaced them for her, same make and size - she insited you could see a difference in the tension .  That afghan never did get finished.

Hope you all enjoyed your long weekend .... and took advantage of time with family and friends.

Theresee Coffee

Theresee Coffee

Not Ranked
Posts 5
GENEVA1 wrote
on Jul 8, 2010 3:22 PM

Hi, 

We have a Prayer Shawl group at church and I have used the "one skein shawl" pattern. It is in a rectangle and easy.

Hope this helps.  Geneva

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
Theresea2 wrote
on Jul 9, 2010 8:20 PM

Howdy, Coffee

One skein pattern, I've heard of it - never done one, how big does it get... I guess it would depend on the size of skein you use.  Yes?

Theresee,Coffee

Theresee Coffee

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS