How do I keep my granny squares from unraveling?

This post has 13 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
GriffMom wrote
on Aug 7, 2010 2:23 AM

I spent several months crocheting my first afghan.  It was the Sunrise Sunset pattern from Red Heart using brown and cream fisherman's wool.  I completed all of the granny squares, sewed them together and began enjoying my new afghan.  All of a sudden I see my squares are unraveling from the center.  I was distraught that I had ruined my very first afghan and had to throw it away.  What happened and how can I keep this from happening again?  Thank you.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Aug 7, 2010 3:40 PM

Can you describe how you began your squares? That will help us to understand what may have happened.

Normally, you'd start with a ch4 or ch6, then dc into the circle to begin. Usually, I dc over the tail of yarn (stitch over the tail for all 12 dc's that go into the beginning circle). I still leave a few inches of yarn so that I can weave it in afterwards. (I just weave the tail around the circle, underneath the stitches until most of the yarn is woven in.)

The only reason I can think of why the centers came loose is because you didn't employ this or a similar method to secure the yarn. No knot should be required, and usually securing the way I mentioned above will withstand normal laundering as well.

Hope this helps.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 53
42stitches wrote
on Aug 7, 2010 4:09 PM

There's a chance you may have used the not as strong slip knot. I had a little trouble with that at first. I was using the one wrap slip knot and my stuff wasn't strong, so I tied it back in before weaving in my ends. That held okay. But since I learned the double wrap slit knot, I haven't had that trouble.

~Abigail

^.^

Not Ranked
Posts 4
GriffMom wrote
on Aug 7, 2010 8:07 PM

I began with ch 2 then rd 1 was 12 sc in 2nd ch from hook; join with a sl st in first sc.  I did all 12 sc over the tail and wove in the remainder of the tail.  I didn't even have the chance to launder the afghan as it began unraveling within minutes of the first use.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
GriffMom wrote
on Aug 7, 2010 8:10 PM

Abigail, I used the double wrap slip knot throughout.  That's the only slip knot I use and didn't know there were others to choose from.  Surprise

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 53
42stitches wrote
on Aug 8, 2010 6:05 PM

How strange. Based on what you described, that really shouldn't have happened. I can't really think of anything else it could be. Sorry I can't help. Embarrassed

~Abigail

^.^

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 44
pure wrote
on Aug 17, 2010 7:59 PM

What is a double wrap slip knot?  I've heard of the Magic Ring method but not the other one. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 44
pure wrote
on Aug 17, 2010 8:02 PM

It sounds like you did things right.  Why it did what it did I have no idea, but I can tell you that I am a firm believer in knotting my loose ends.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 53
42stitches wrote
on Aug 17, 2010 11:59 PM

I don't really know what the different knots are called. But I know two kinds of slipknots. One is where you knot you string one time around the body end of the yarn (I call it single wrap with which my stuff unraveled while I was working, before I even finished a project). The other is the good crochet slipknot where you start to make a knot and then pull a loop through it (the double wrap which I have never had a problem with).

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone.

~Abigail

^.^

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Aug 18, 2010 8:52 AM

Will a magic ring work just as well for Granny Squares as the traditional method? I have always used it for my stuffed animals and the directions I read for making the start of a granny square sounds overly complicated. Do they look different or better this way then?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 44
pure wrote
on Aug 19, 2010 6:37 AM

It all depends on how you want the finished look.  With the magic ring method, you can eliminate the center hole by pulling the tail tightly or you can pull it less tight and leave a hole.  Try it both ways and see what you like the best.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
cheaphotels wrote
on Aug 24, 2010 7:01 AM

nice post but some thing wrong here you need to c from start

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 44
pure wrote
on Dec 30, 2010 4:01 AM

Sorry it took so long to get back.  I believe the c is refering to chain.  When you do a magic loop or circle, you start with a slip knot that has an open loop and you use the open loop as your joined chains.  You crochet your sc, dc, or whatever stitch you are using into the loop.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mjb215 wrote
on Dec 30, 2010 6:01 PM

Dont work over the tail. Split the ply in two and use sharp needle to weave in the ends in different directions.  I had a granny square unravel the first time I washed it and this is a suggestion I have been using ever since.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS