felting acrylic fibers!!!

This post has 7 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
shafna1989 wrote
on Aug 24, 2010 7:09 AM

I was looking online some tips on how to felt acrylic yarn and there's nothing!!!!! so being the self taught/ resourceful person that i am i decided to try my own felting technique and after trying different things, i finally came up with a very easy and fast felting technique!!!

*please note that a great felt will take longer.*

1. crochet a swatch

2. with a blow dryer heat the fabric for a few minutes

3. with a hair brush or a hard shoe brush (any brush with hard bristles will do) brush the swatch making sure to change direction every stroke.

4. brush and heat and brush again until the peace is done.

5. DONE! u created a very  easy fast felted piece!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Dec 9, 2010 5:17 PM

thank you I am self taught as well and I like your idea!!!

thank you again ,    annie

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 152
zoe cro-z wrote
on May 23, 2011 8:09 PM

Most of the information that I read about felting is that you have to use wool and that acrylic, they say, cannot be felted.  I'm glad you tried.  Did the fiber hold together good?  Will it be durable?  How is it compared to felted wool related to apearance?  Thank you for sharing this.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
IIlze wrote
on Jun 22, 2011 11:36 AM

You can't felt in "regular" way any synthetic materials. Natural wool, mohair is best for this already for thousand years! However you can add to natural felting material synthetic yarns and even pieces of fabric (nuno felting). In this technique you can create very beautiful scarves, hats, bags etc. I would suggest that you experiment a bit with different materials before making bigger pieces. It is hard to guess how different materials will react and what is best technique for each of them.

Felt flower brooches and other felt accessories

* * * Handmade Felt Accessories * * *

Not Ranked
Posts 1
nickborder wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 7:14 AM

I have been Googling for this Stuff for a couple of days and finally Got the best Tips from you. It really worked out for my Wife(Kate).

Thanks

Nick

Not Ranked
Posts 3
shafna1989 wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 7:48 AM

Hi! 

im glad it worked! its fun to "felt" this way its easier and much less messier. oh since i wrote the post i discovered that wether you are knitting or crocheting that piece, the yarn holds better if it is 100% acrylic and if you iron the piece (please note you have to put a cloth on top because acrylic will melt to heat),the little fibers will stick to each other and it'll hold.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
kru wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 8:45 PM

Thanks so much for posting this, it's a great idea and I can't wait to try it.  When you say to iron it, do you mean before you brush it or after?  Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
LadyNixie wrote
on Jan 12, 2013 2:29 PM

Another type of brush you can use is a cat brush, it works GREAT for brushing the acrylic yarn. it's how I made my gossemer (the red monster on bugs bunny) for my mom. It's her favorite toon.  I just never thought about the "FELTING" process. this will be GREAT! because I would LOVE to "FELT" this yarn I have that is acrylic! :) Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS