Blanket for horse

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
mjsuto wrote
on Sep 27, 2010 9:27 AM

I've been asked to crochet a blanket to be used under a saddle. Seen one that was made with rug yarn and now I'm looking for a pattern, so that I could make this for a granddaugter. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
DonnaP wrote
on Sep 27, 2010 12:32 PM

Wow, interesting project. I've never seen a pattern. I'd just borrow a blanket and figure out how to duplicate it. You need to make sure that whatever you do won't cause rub spots. The best horse blankets are wool as it is absorbent and cushiony. Probably stick with single crochet and a big hook for dense-ness. Any pattern should be via color rather than stitches to keep it a consistent thickness.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
loveroferic wrote
on Sep 27, 2010 2:20 PM

I'm not sure if this would work, but if I was going to attempt a saddle blanket, I'd use a pattern for hexagonal shaped blanket.

Here's a pattern :   http://www.allfreecrochet.com/Free-Baby-Crochet-Patterns/Hexagon-Baby-Blanket

Hope this helps!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,110
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Sep 27, 2010 5:08 PM

First, I love this questions! I think it kind of depends on if you are creating a saddle pad for riding Western or English. When I was a kid and rode Western at my grandfathers, a lot of his saddle pads were just doubled up blankets. So I think you could just create a rectangular blanket that when folded in half (for thickness or if the pad is think enough you may not need to double it) is a bit bigger than the base of the saddle. You could also create something rather large out of wool and felt it.

I also had some luck and fun Googling "crochet saddle pad".

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS