Michael's Loop's & Threads Crochet Bag

This post has 10 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
inspir8ion wrote
on Nov 6, 2010 10:58 PM

Hi there! I am a beginner and have (I think) come a long way in reading patterns since I started, however I am constantly second-guessing myself. I am working on a pattern that came with an Impeccable skein of yarn for a crochet bag, which can be found on Michael's website. I think I have managed to get through the first 9 rows correctly, but I am not sure I did the rest correctly. It states:

51 hdc at end of last row. Place maker at end of last row. Cont even in pat for 3 ins, ending with a WS row.

So, after completing the last four rows, I turned (no chain) and did 51 hdc, marked that stitch, and finished the row with hdc's. Is this right?

The next step is even more confounding to my feable brain. It states:

shape sides: next row: (RS) Ch 2. Pat across next 15 hdc. Hdc2tog. Turn. Leave rem sts unworked. 16 sts. Next row: Ch 1. sc2tog made. Pat to end of row.

Which pattern is it referring to? So far I've been alt. and hdc row with a sc, tr, sc row. What am I doing into the next 15 hdc's? And, after the turn what stiches am I doing for the next 16? I am so confused.

Part of my problem is that I am very visual and would do much better to SEE this done. As it is this piece of work is becoming very circular and doesn't look anything like the shape of the purse! I'd appreciate any help someone could offer.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
cannej wrote
on Nov 11, 2010 2:43 PM

Good Morning Inspir8ion,

The designer could have done a better job of specifying the pattern, but by reading through it as a whole you find that the pattern for the look of the bag is composed of Rows 2 through 5.  See how within Row 5 it says "Rep last 4 rows of pat once more"  and after Row 5, you're told to " Cont even in pat for 3 ins [7.5cm], ending with a WS row."

So, after completing Row 5, you'll have 9 rows - the first row of hdc is your base row and the next 8 rows have given you 2 sets of the stitch pattern, along with an increase of 2 stitches per row to total 51 stitches.  You then place a marker on the last stitch of row 9, and begin working the pattern set (Rows 2 through 5) again.  However, you're now working even, that is, you're no longer increasing on each row.  So, begin again with Row 2, but placing only 1 sc  in both the first and last stitch of the row.  Continue with Rows 3-5, again only placing 1 stitch in the first and last stitches of each row.  Continue working Row 2-5 until you've reached 3" from the marker.  You'll need to end with a Wrong Side Row - either Row 2 or 4 (that is, the alternate SC, TR row), so choose whichever one is closest to 3".  Once that is completed, you'll still have 51 stitches and be ready to shape the sides.

Make yourself a note here - whether you ended with Row 2 or 4 - it will help you to know whether if you should work Row 3 or 5 when you do your first row of shaping each side. 

You've said you're visual, so take a look at what you have - a rectangular piece that you want to shape.  There are 51 stiches, if you divide that by 3 you get 17.  Now, per the pattern, you're going to leave the center 17 stitches alone and shape the 17 stitches that are on each side (one side at a time) by decreasing only at the center for 5 rows to give you 12 stitches.  Then, work 2 more rows even (without decreasing).

Begin shaping by working Row 3 or 5 (depending on what your last row was (either Row 2 or 4) when you reached 3" from the marker).  Continue working in the pattern (again, your pattern consists of Rows 2-5).  As you do, decrease one stitch at the center only on each row til you have 12 stitches.  Then continuing your pattern, work 2 more rows without decreasing. 

After you've done the first side, you'll start the 2nd side by skipping those 17 stitches in the center, join with a slip stitch, ch 2, hdc2tog over the same stitch and the next stitch, then hdc the next 15 stitches. Again, you'll continue in pattern, making your decreases at the center only. (Now this join with sl st and work a decrease into the same stitch and the next one will be bulky.  You may prefer to join with a sl st, ch 1 and don't count as a stitch, then work hdc in next stitch and following 15 stitches.  Just be sure you only have 16 stitches for this first row.)

An additional very important note - you said -

inspir8ion:

So, after completing the last four rows, I turned (no chain) and did 51 hdc, marked that stitch, and finished the row with hdc's. Is this right?

- you always chain at the beginning of a row unless the designer specifies in her directions that you should not.  This is necessary to bring your first stitch up to the height of the next row.  Whether that ch(s) counts as a stitch depends on the pattern.  Also, there are different ways to accomplish this, which you'll probably learn as you find what pleases your eye and works for a particular pattern.  One method I've become fond of is the No Turning Chain method, here's a link to the DC no turning chain at YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LxYpo-tyi8.  Being a visual person, there are probably several videos on YouTube that you'll find helpful. 

I've gotten awfully wordy here, but hope this helps - Cheryl

Not Ranked
Posts 2
inspir8ion wrote
on Nov 11, 2010 8:24 PM

Thank you soooo much, Cheryl!

I had gotten through the 9 rows but once I got to the "cont even in pat" part I could not for the life of me find an answer in online searches or my How to Crochet bood on what that MEANS. What you've said make so much sense! I still have a couple questions (please forgive my denseness) on the sides. First off, am I understanding correctly that the decrease is happening on the inside edge? And, when switching to the other side, will I just have a string of yarn along the 17 stiches left when I sl st in the next st? 

Again, thank you !

Emily

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
cannej wrote
on Nov 11, 2010 11:53 PM

Hello Emily,

I'm glad all my wordiness helped you make sense of that phrase.  As to more questions, I consider questions to be a sign of an active mind, not denseness.

First question -

inspir8ion:
am I understanding correctly that the decrease is happening on the inside edge?

- Yes, it is the inside edge.  You can see in the picture or if you look at a purse you may already have, that it slopes from the center (or inside) toward the handles.

Next -

inspir8ion:
when switching to the other side, will I just have a string of yarn along the 17 stiches left when I sl st in the next st? 

- No, fasten off the yarn when you've finished the side shaping on the first side (after the last 2 rows that you work even on 12 stitches).  The pattern tells us this at the end of the section 'Shape sides' when it says 'Next 2 rows:  Work even in pat. Fasten off.'  After that you'll skip those center 17 stitches and attach the yarn in the next stitches to begin working the second side shaping.

Sure hope you'll post a photo of your purse when you've completed it and I think you may have inspired me to make one, too. - Cheryl

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sheila49 wrote
on Jan 10, 2011 1:26 PM

Hello Cheryl and or Emily

I am making the same bag as mentioned above.  Your added instructions were very helpful to me also.  I have a question about this crocheted bag pattern from Loops & Threads Impeccable yarn.  It's going to sound silly but i'm not sure how big of a zipper is required and exactly how the handle is attached.  Is the handle just sewn in?     I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

I'm going to line mine with some vintage fabric and make a small zippered pocket or two  in the lining to hold things.  

Sheila

Not Ranked
Posts 3
jazzycarlos wrote
on Aug 25, 2012 5:36 AM

hello i love this bag but its so hard to make i also had a question do u have to make two of these bags to seem them together or is it just one piece >?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
cannej wrote
on Aug 25, 2012 8:40 AM

Good Morning jazzycarlos,  The bag is constructed by crocheting the 2 sides separately, then sewing them together before working the edging. 

In the directions it says - "FRONT and BACK (make alike)".  This tells you that there will be 2 pieces made.  Then, at the beginning of the edging instructions it says - "Edging: (Sew sides and bottom tog)"

So, you aren't actually making 2 bags, just the 2 sides of the bag.

If you are on Ravelry you can see what some others have done with this pattern.  Cheryl

Not Ranked
Posts 3
jazzycarlos wrote
on Aug 25, 2012 6:27 PM

Im so grateful for these responses and thank you i have seen more pictures that are very helpful

so like in this picture 

this one whole piece here makes the bag or is it 2 of these that need to b made?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
cannej wrote
on Aug 25, 2012 8:17 PM

Hi jazzycarlos - Your bag is looking very good.  Now make a 2nd piece just like this first one and you'll be ready for the edging portion of the directions.  That begins by telling you to sew the sides and bottom.  - Cheryl

Not Ranked
Posts 3
jazzycarlos wrote
on Aug 25, 2012 11:23 PM

okie thank you sooo much i see how it turns out if i have any further questions i will ask=]

Not Ranked
Posts 1
cvicars wrote
on Mar 26, 2014 6:59 PM

I am somewhat good at different patterns however this one seems to have me stumped.  I have tried the first five rows but instead of a rectangular shape mine is curving.  I am not sure what I did wrong.  Is there any video tutorials on this pattern?

Chris

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS