THE OFFICIAL MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S SHAWL CROCHET-ALONG

This post has 140 Replies | 31 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 9
algteacher wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 11:27 AM

Are there alternative yarns you would recommend for those of us who don't do merino?  Is there a comparable baby alpaca or blend?  Since you don't mention yarn weight is this 0 or 1?  I guess the word "lace" gives it away, but just want to confirm before I purchase something other than merino.  Thanks. 

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Jo Karen wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 11:42 AM

Have you been spying on my WIP's?? Huh? As soon as the magazine hit my door step, I bought the yarn  - did a few rounds and since then the shawl has been hiding under all my holiday projects. Embarrassed I may not be able to keep up with the schedule - but it is something to shoot for.  I will post details on the yarn later. 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
LovelyEwe wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 11:49 AM

I'm in!!  I haven't done a CAL for a while and needed a new project to start up.  This pattern looks beautiful.  All I need is the yarn, since I don't have any lace weight yarn in my huge stash.  Can't wait to start and to see everyone else's shawls in the works.  Good luck to all!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
GriffMom wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 12:00 PM

Oh yay!  I've had the pattern for a few months now and the project got moved to the bottom of my list due to crocheting Christmas gifts.  Now I can crochet this in my first CAL!  Thanks for choosing this pattern for a CAL!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
jeane17623 wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 12:14 PM

I'd love to do this shawl but my local stores don't sell the yarn listed. Can I replace it with something else?

Jeanne

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Kayscrilla2 wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 12:42 PM

I'm in! Not using Malabrigo, though. I have some Prism Lace in my stash (1460 yards), and I'm going to use that. I have something to finish up in the meantime, knitting-wise. Yay!!! I'm excited! I haven't crocheted anything other than squares for a long time.

I had this earmarked as a gift for my boss.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Jan@269 wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 12:57 PM

Sarah, I'm in.  Just downloaded the pattern and ordered the yarn from WEBS.  I won't get started for a week or so, but will get to work and post my progress.  It's beautiful!  Thanks for sharing it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 129
Sarah Read wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 1:25 PM

I am so glad you all are so excited!

Like I said, you really need not worry about the schedule. Move at your own pace. We can even set a non-holiday finish date for (much) later out, if you'd like. And no worries if you started a long time ago. This would be a great place to find the motivation to finish that languishing project!

As far as yarn questions go, any lace weight will make a suitable substitute. Gauge isn't critical for this project. The original, in Malabrigo lace, is very soft and fuzzy and drape-y. I also loved mine in a merino with a variegated colorway. Silk lace would be stunning (Halcyon yarns carries some), and Valley Yarns (WEBS) has some alpaca and alpaca/silk lace. This shawl would even look great in cotton thread, or the new bamboo thread from Coats & Clark.

I am using fingering weight for mine, and there are also some great options there. WEBS has the Franklin Hand Dyed sock yarn, Malabrigo sock is one of my favorite yarns out there, or Madelinetosh, or Lorna's laces, or Spud and Chloe, or Blue Moon Fiber Arts, or Fiesta, or Skacel... Ok, I may have a sock yarn problem. If you're really looking for trouble, head over to Etsy and do a search for sock yarn (or lace yarn). Just don't tell your significant others that I gave you the idea, ok?

I did some serious WIP-busting this weekend so I could dive right in to this! I am excited to start, but even MORE excited to see what you guys come up with!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
stewbaby wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 2:44 PM

Can a beginner crochet this shawl?

Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
ErikaH@2 wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 3:05 PM

I bought this pattern this summer and I've just not had the time to make this. I really want to make this so I think I'm going to join in on the fun of this too. It's going to be hectic with Christmas gift making still in full force, but I'll see how much I can do.  I'm glad this is the pattern you chose too.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
cookworm wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 3:17 PM

Sarah, so glad you chose this pattern--I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this pattern--I bought the magazine just for this pattern!  I was hoping to do mine in either a kelly green or bright yellow.  Sarah, I LOVE the swatch you showed of yours--just gorgeous!  I have to wait to begin mine; my daughter needs a shawl for a dress she bought.  I'll be following this CAL, though, admiring everybody's progress, and joining in a bit later.

I don't have my magazine in front of me, but are there yarn requirements listed using fingering weight yarn instead of the laceweight?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
pinkpoole wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 4:02 PM

I'm super excited about this idea of a crochet-a-long, and I really want to do this with you all!  My LYS is already closed, or I'd be out the door already!  I'm sure my husband won't thank you for setting up this CAL, but I have never crocheted anything and kept it for myself, so this will be my Christmas present to myself.

I'm really not sure how to post here, so I just used a reply button - could someone tell me how to post on these forums? 

Not Ranked
Posts 7
teva_hobbies wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 7:08 PM

I so want to do this shawl but I have so many other crochet gifts to make I don't know if I'll be able to keep up. I have always wanted to learn how to crochet by chart, and the last Bernat CAL had charts along with it that were pretty readable. SO, since I'm cheap, I am going to d/l the chart and see how I do. Since I'm not that cheap, I actually bought a really pretty baby Alpaca to do the project in, mainly because they didn't have the yarn that the pattern asked for. It is still a really pretty color of blue, though. Wish me luck! I still have two weeks of this colleg term left, with two essays, two reports, and one more final.

Teva

Not Ranked
Posts 7
teva_hobbies wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 7:11 PM

I did find a baby Alpaca that was the same ounces, 1/75. The yarn store only had this kind of baby wool. I'm going to try it - I don't have it with me at the moment but I'll let you know what it is I found.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 9:09 PM

I loved this shawl when I saw it!  And I agree, this is a great choice.  I have thought the CAL/KAL concept was great, but I wasn't interested in the ones I had seen.  As with others, the timing is both good and bad, but oh well,... 

I didn't see an answer to the question, "Can a beginner do this?"   The pattern says Intermediate, ugh!

I think I have done all of the stitches, so is it a matter of understanding putting the pieces together?  But maybe if I go slow...?

I really don't know much about choosing a yarn.  I like the shawl in the picture.  But when I pulled it up on a couple of websites, the color is fairly different.  Does anyone know if the #98 tuareg leans to the greens?  I need a blue, not blue-green.

Thanks,

Debi

Page 2 of 10 (141 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS