THE OFFICIAL MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S SHAWL CROCHET-ALONG

This post has 140 Replies | 31 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Dec 10, 2010 1:19 PM

Wow!  That is a pretty variegated.  What kind of yarn is this (weight/brand/fiber, etc)?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Dec 10, 2010 1:20 PM

Only way to tell is to gauge swatch -- I almost never use the recommended hook size so I always have to test and test.  Since it's a shawl, you can just test until you're happy with the drape of the blocked swatch and not worry too much about gauge measurement, unless it's way off.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Dec 10, 2010 1:40 PM

I keep tearing mine out - I am having a problem with the row after counting the  9 chain 7  spaces the next row does not fit according to me.  Have to read it over again.  I am missing something. 

Thanks for the new deadline.  I do wnat to finish this crochet-a-long.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
DenaC@4 wrote
on Dec 10, 2010 5:53 PM

What if we want to make the shawl for someone larger than the model?  How do I enlarge it?  To a 2x-3x size!  Thanks!

Crochet has it's hook in me!!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
DenaC@4 wrote
on Dec 10, 2010 6:10 PM

I never let the stated experience level stop me.  I've found that I have no problem with some "experienced" patterns and yet can turn around & get stumped by one considered easy.  I just go for it if I like the pattern!  Good Luck!Smile Yes

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on Dec 10, 2010 7:18 PM

Is the Zephyr soft?  I saw Zephyr (50% silk, 50% merino), 1190 yds, only 1 in stock.  the 3 hanks in the instructions would be 1410 yds, so I didn't want to gamble on not having enough.  I loved it, but I wasn;t sure I wanted Electric Blue for this project! 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on Dec 10, 2010 7:29 PM

What do you do to swatch this pattern?  Just start crocheting the pattern and check the measurements?  Change your hook if too tight or too loose?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on Dec 10, 2010 8:23 PM

I haven't got my shawl yarn yet, but I wanted to start trying the pattern because it seems I always end up re-doing anyhow while trying to figure things out.

I re-did quite a few times last night and think I finally got the first two rows done last night.  I felt like I was running in circles when I was just using the written directions.  The written directions do not seem to me to accurately say where to sc into.  When I finally looked at the chart, that helped a lot.  However, even looking at the chart, it seems like the 1st 2 ch-7s aren't spaced right.

If anyone can follow what I am saying here... maybe you could tell if I sound right or where I am off-base:

For Row 2, it says "(sc, [ch 7, sc] 2 times) in next ch-7 sp".  I was actually trying to put all of those single crochets in the next ch-7 sp.  (Believe me it doesn't look like the pattern LOL)  I wasn't getting very far trying to go around the ring!  In the chart it appears that you skip one ch and sc in the next ch, except for the 1st and 2nd ch-7s of Row 2.  The sc after the 1st ch-7 gets sc'd into the 2nd ch from the hook where the 1st sc was.  The sc after the 2nd ch-7 goes in the 5th ch from the Row 1 beg-tr cl?  I'm not trying to re-write the pattern, but It seems to me that for symmetry, if the Row 2 sc after the 1st ch-7 went into the 1st ch of the Row 1 ch-7 after the beg-tr cl and the sc after the 2nd ch-7 went in the 3rd ch of the Row 1 ch-7, then the first two ch-7 "loops" would be evenly spaced like the others in the other 6 loops in Row 2.

That's as far as I got.  This is going to be a slow process, but I should learn A LOT!!!

Comments?

Thanks,

Debi

Not Ranked
Posts 9
JAMH wrote
on Dec 10, 2010 10:59 PM

Hi All,

I am ready to start tomarrow. I researched this pattern on Ravelry it recamends sports weight if you have never use lace yarn before so that's what I'm going to do. it also said that you may need to do less chains if using sport weight yarn.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on Dec 11, 2010 8:32 AM

Thanks for the tip on sport weight.  I'll have to research.  I don't have yarn yet.  My only experience is worsted (mostly #4 Red Heart SUper Saver for knitting) and crochet thread..  Does crochet thread count?

Not Ranked
Posts 9
JAMH wrote
on Dec 11, 2010 8:47 AM

I think if you have crocheted with tread you may be fine with the lace weight. I haven't done much tread work. It is on my very long list of things to do.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
on Dec 11, 2010 10:43 AM

I love Zephyr, it has a nice hand and drape.  I agree with you about the Electric Blue!!  LOL  On the flip side people would know where you where when you were wearing it!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
FatesLady wrote
on Dec 11, 2010 3:10 PM

Yay! My yarn came today! I think I am officially behind schedule, though! I'm going to go start now.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on Dec 11, 2010 7:09 PM

From my previous (probably confusing) post:

<snip>

...  If anyone can follow what I am saying here... maybe you could tell if I sound right or where I am off-base:

For Row 2, it says "(sc, [ch 7, sc] 2 times) in next ch-7 sp". 

--------------

OK.  I think the clue-bird might have landed now...  It says "in the next ch-7 sp."  It doesn't say in any specific chain of the chain 7.  You are supposed to sc "around" the 7 chains, not into any specific chain.  Is that right?

Thanks,

Debi

Not Ranked
Posts 6
DenaC@4 wrote
on Dec 11, 2010 7:16 PM

I think it is telling you to sc, ch 7, sc in the next 2 of the ch 7 spaces.  I haven't started yet but that's what it looks like to me.

Page 5 of 10 (141 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS