THE OFFICIAL MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S SHAWL CROCHET-ALONG

This post has 140 Replies | 31 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 129
Sarah Read wrote
on Dec 13, 2010 4:11 PM

I love all the yarns and pictures I am seeing! This is great. I am hoping to have a good progress pic for you guys at the end of the week. Right now, I just have a few rows. Eek! But I love the yarn, so it should be great going once I really get started.

I hope you all had a great weekend!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on Dec 13, 2010 9:36 PM

celticmermaid:

I love Zephyr it is what I am using and I have seen the Aegean and it is really pretty.  I am using it in Peacock.

The Zephyr has a lower weight/yardage than the instructions.  Did you go down a size on your hook? 

I am running through the pattern using crochet thread while I await the arrival of my yarn.  I may try going down a size.  Mine is definitley not puffy! 

I am almost through Row 9.  Except for the beginning and end of each row, I think I am getting comfortable with the pattern.  I think I will give the edging a try so I can ask questions, if needed.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
on Dec 14, 2010 6:34 AM

I stayed with the same hook size and find that it just makes the pattern lacier.  I like it but you may want to try it for your self and decide.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Dec 14, 2010 2:25 PM

Thanks for the info!  Probably no way to escape gauge swatching regardless (I almost never use recommended hook size to achieve gauge) but this is helpful to know.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
zendarenn wrote
on Dec 14, 2010 5:44 PM

I'm using Milford Satin 2ply cotton thread and making for a friend to wear at her wedding.

I live in Perth, Western Australia so it doesn't get that cold here and I also don't have quite as much choice in yarn, I could buy it from the U.S. on line but the postage makes it really expensive.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
rosner53 wrote
on Dec 14, 2010 5:48 PM

I think it will be beautiful, especially for a wedding. Very delicate looking!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
DenaC@4 wrote
on Dec 14, 2010 5:49 PM

It's going to be beautiful!  She's going to love it.Yes

Crochet has it's hook in me!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
zendarenn wrote
on Dec 14, 2010 6:02 PM

and I change down to 3.5mm hook

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Dec 14, 2010 6:12 PM

Beautiful!!  This is looking great.  She'll love it!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
frizzen44 wrote
on Dec 15, 2010 3:05 PM

I'm finished!  I had a little trouble with Row 8 of the edging.  Apparently I can't make groups of 7 and 8 while counting to 17.  Despite a couple of false starts on that row, I was able to finish in time to wear this to my work Christmas party coming up on Saturday.  I was starting to get worried as my yarn dwindled, but I made it with a quarter sized ball left over.  I haven't blocked it yet, but I'm already thinking of what other colors I might want.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
algteacher wrote
on Dec 15, 2010 3:34 PM

Hi all,

I wonder if there is a group or forum for this CAL on Ravelry. If not, would anyone be interested in following this CAL in that format? 

It's proving very difficult for me to slog through all the comments without any organization.  A forum on Ravelry would allow us to click on the threads we want to read and make it much easier to follow discussions.  Specific postings grouped for yarn choices, hook sizing, problems, questions, finished pics, WIP pics, etc. would be great. 

For instance, I have a question about guage and had to read through every posting to see if anyone else had already asked and/or answered it.  They hadn't, but it occurred to me that even if I posted the question, very few of you would see it.  It also occurred to me that I'd rather spend time crocheting than scrolling through all these posts.

Perhaps I'm just not maneuvering this official CAL correctly, but I really can't figure out the way the postings are organized.  Please forgive me if I've hurt or offended anyone, that was not my intention.  Hopefully someone can help me if I'm doing it incorrectly.  Otherwise, let's all get together on Ravelry and see what we can set up.  You can reach me on Ravelry as algteacher.

Thanks.

algteacher

Not Ranked
Posts 6
LovelyEwe wrote
on Dec 15, 2010 4:20 PM

OMG!  You're finished already!  And it's beautiful!  I'll be starting soon.  Hope you decide to make another. - Julie

Not Ranked
Posts 6
LovelyEwe wrote
on Dec 15, 2010 4:21 PM

Hi, algteacher!  I'm with you, I would really love to follow this CAL on ravelry.  I'm set up to receive each post through email and that's a lot of email.  If soeone gets this going, please let me know.  Thanks! - Julie

Not Ranked
Posts 6
LovelyEwe wrote
on Dec 15, 2010 4:26 PM

My yarn arrived in today's mail!!!!!  Hooray!  I've never worked with lace weight yarn before - so small it's intimidating.  But I'm very excited to get going.  I've already started balling the yarn and have a project bag all cleared out and ready to use.  Hoping I can get this finished by Christmas; if not, New Years.  I'll keep you posted with my progress.  -  Julie

Not Ranked
Posts 9
algteacher wrote
on Dec 15, 2010 4:46 PM

Beautiful, Zendarenn.  Your chains look so even...I'm jealous! LOL.  I'm thinking of trying a cotton thread or the new Size 10 Aunt Lydia's bamboo thread.  I've about given up on the lace weight baby alpaca...soft and fluffy, but just not working with this pattern.  Thanks for sharing your progress pic.

Page 7 of 10 (141 items) « First ...  < Previous  5 6 7 8 9  Next >  ... Last » | RSS