THE OFFICIAL MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S SHAWL CROCHET-ALONG

This post has 140 Replies | 31 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
teva_hobbies wrote
on Dec 17, 2010 9:38 PM

Wow since I have my head buried in college text books and research papers, I didn't even realize how badly I goofed up the title of our CAL on ravelry.com!

So, I changed the name, but that also changed the address to the website. In case anybody had it bookmarked, here is the new link to the CAL on ravelry.com:

http://www.ravelry.com/groups/midsummer-nights-shawl-cal

If you already were a member of the group, you are still a member.

Happy Stitching!

Teva

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on Dec 19, 2010 4:32 PM

frizzen44:

"I had a little trouble with Row 8 of the edging.  Apparently I can't make groups of 7 and 8 while counting to 17.

frizzen44,

I see what you mean now that I am trying the edging.  What did you do?  Did you do the 7 and 8 double crochets and mark @ 17 (not 15?) like the directions say.  Did it come out right?  Seems strange...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on Dec 19, 2010 5:55 PM

If I undersand the directions correctly, on Row 8:

You are supposed to end up with a multiple of 17 double crochets.  You should check it mathemaontically before you start the row - I just ripped out a bunch.  I am just doing a trial of the pattern since my yarn hasn't come yet.  I didn't do any repeats to Rows 6-8 before I started the eding.  When I got to the center tip on Row 8, I didn't have a multiple of 17.  I was alternating 7 dc and 8 dc in each ch 5 space.   So, my math looked like:

I had 14 ch 5 spaces to put my sets of 7 and 8 dc in.  I ended up needing 3 sets of 8 dc and 11 sets of 7 dc to come out to an even multiple of 17              

[ (3 x 8 dc) + (11 x 7 dc) + 1 (this is the tch at the beginning of the row)] divided by 17 = 6 evenly

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on Dec 20, 2010 1:50 AM

Hmmm.  Guess I goofed somewhere along the line.  I ended up with 14 ch 5 spaces on one side of the center and 16 ch 5 spaces on the other!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
frizzen44 wrote
on Dec 21, 2010 6:10 AM

Actually I ended up only making groups of 7 and making 1 slightly smaller group on either side of center.  I didn't want to spend more time trying to figure out the math at that point.  The rest of the pattern is clear and well-written, but this was just so ambiguous.  I'm sure I would have appreciated having 'the groundrules' instead of directions if I had done more or less row 6-9 repeats than called for.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
Sarah Read wrote
on Dec 21, 2010 10:01 AM

How are things coming? Did everyone have a relaxing crochet-filled weekend? Yeah, me neither! but I did make a little progress on my now-lace-weight version of the shawl. The Fino is delicious. And the perfect colors for my mom, so it will likely end up being her birthday present. Yes, that is in July. ;) I'm still going to try to finish it in January with you dears, though!

The person who was going to get the shawl in the fingering weight yarn is going to get a different shawl in that yarn. I love shawls! Sometimes I wonder if all of these shawl-recipients in my life love them as much as I do. Probably not quite as much, but hopefully at least a little.

Happy stitching, everyone!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Dec 22, 2010 6:10 AM

I agree.....I am all about organization....it has taken me.....wow....I don't even want to say....too long to find an answer to my question.....please find me at ravelry.....my user name is MrsADRIANA.........hope to see you there......

Not Ranked
Posts 10
on Dec 25, 2010 5:13 PM

Totally forgot to pack my crocheting before I left for the Holidays.... Sad  At least I have some knitting.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
teva_hobbies wrote
on Jan 20, 2011 6:15 PM

How's everybody coming along? I just began mine on the 16th, and I'm on my first repeat. Vacation starts tomorrow, happy stitching to me while on the road - woohoo!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on Jan 21, 2011 8:04 AM

I'm finishing up repeat 5.  Then I'll measure again.  I expect to move on to the edging.  Slower going now that I'm back to work after the holidays.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
JAMH wrote
on Jan 21, 2011 1:10 PM

Hi All,

I finshed mine. Well it still needs to be blocked.Big Smile I used a #3 yarn 'cause i wasn't feeling ready for lace wait. Because it was a thicker yarn I didn't do as many repeats  before starting the boarder.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jan 22, 2011 2:23 PM

Wow JAMH, looks really pretty. I finished an afghan and a couple of scarfs so mine is still one

of those WIP! You have inspired me to work on mine today!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
JAMH wrote
on Jan 22, 2011 2:29 PM

thanks. now i justneed something to ware it with.Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
rosner53 wrote
on Jan 22, 2011 5:24 PM

Absolutely beautiful! Are you blocking it?

Not Ranked
Posts 6
LovelyEwe wrote
on Jan 22, 2011 5:58 PM

that is so beautiful  im still working with the lace weight yarn and had to take a break from it.  it requires too much attention and is difficult to work with with my chubby fingers.  ill get back to it soon but if i ever do another one it will be with dk weight.  cant wait to see this on you.  nice work, 

Page 9 of 10 (141 items) « First ...  < Previous  6 7 8 9 10  Next > | RSS