Bulk yarn for cheap and rug yarn

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
frazy87 wrote
on Dec 26, 2010 3:10 PM

I am a bargain shopper extremest. And i crochet like crazy. But unfortunatly with three kids i have a very tight budget.

So i am looking for a bulk yarn sale wharehouse or someone that wants to sell a mass of yarn to me for a nice price and i am also looking for some nice rug yarn.

Or what kind of yarn could i use for a rug? Its for the back room with all this snow thats getting tracked in my floors are slick and i rather crotchet a rug than have to buy one although it may be cheaper but i wont be bored.

Thank you in advance. And if you are located in ohio i would love to put a orde together to make shipping costs easier.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 73
lambiepie wrote
on Dec 27, 2010 2:44 PM

Hello,

For rugs, I actually use old tee shirts. Have you heard of it?

Here's a link to show you how to do it.  http://www.craftstylish.com/item/39345/how-to-crochet-a-rug-out-of-t-shirts

I don't usually cut the slots like she did in this link, I just tie the ends together. It's a little easier. But if you don't want tied ends on the other side, do what she did. To tell you the truth I actually think it looks cool if you flip it over with the ties! I like to use both sides.  :)

I hope this makes sense and helps you.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
heartsofull wrote
on Dec 28, 2010 10:15 AM

Great link...thank you for sharing!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
frazy87 wrote
on Dec 28, 2010 10:30 AM

yes thank you that is a much cheaper way to make them

I am still needing bulk yarn tho as i ran out of yarn for the blankets i was making.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Dec 28, 2010 1:15 PM

This is such a fabulous idea, especially for the wintertime. I'd love to take a crack at this, but my only question is ....is it possible to make a rectangular shape, but working it in the round, rather than working a row, turning, working the next?

If not, then how would I work it into an oval? I don't want round, because this would need to go in front of our door on a tiled area that is rectangular.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 73
lambiepie wrote
on Dec 28, 2010 1:42 PM

I myself don't know how you could do the rectangle without doing row by row.

To do an oval shape, here's a link. They can most likely explain it better than I can!!  http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa100299.htm 

Maybe if you did the oval shape until the last round and then increased on the rounded edges? I'm not sure if that would make it a rectangle or a deformed rug! I'm just throwing an idea out there that I don't know if it would work! Sorry!

I hope this helps!  :)

Not Ranked
Posts 3
frazy87 wrote
on Dec 28, 2010 2:33 PM

Go to where you want to turn and chain three then go into the same one you just came out of. Thats how to make a corner. Well in regular blankets and stuff. Something to play around with. I make granny squares and i chain 6 single crochet at the 3rd then every 3 single crochet and then chain three and turn. Am i making sense? i hope so

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 73
lambiepie wrote
on Dec 28, 2010 2:45 PM

At least you make more sense than I do! LOL! Yeah, I think your right though.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS