The Official Cool Wave Shawl Crochet-Along

This post has 42 Replies | 17 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
bmcgilberry wrote
on Feb 14, 2011 2:36 PM

I am still waiting on my yarn and hook to come in......I went to my LYS but I can't remember the type of lace weight yarn I ordered...I'm about to go crazy waiting.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
sherylmeans wrote
on Feb 15, 2011 5:17 AM

Hello All,

I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts, comments and yarn questions.  Marcy is doing an amazing job of guiding you all on this Tunisian crochet journey.  As the designer of this shawl I am honored you all have chosen to make it.  I am working on a second shawl - this one is for me - and I will be working alongside you.  

Sheryl

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 424
Marcy Smith wrote
on Feb 15, 2011 9:22 PM

Hi Sheryl!

So glad you've joined us! Can't wait to see your second shawl!

Marcy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 101
pattyb1 wrote
on Feb 20, 2011 6:39 AM

I'd love to make this, but cost of yarn is holding me back.  I will swatch with different weight stash yarn I have on hand, and check online.  Would sock weight work?   Marcy, thank you for the info on twist and so forth, I found it very imformative.

Patty

Make everyday a day to Crochet!

Patty

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 424
Marcy Smith wrote
on Feb 21, 2011 10:29 AM

Hi Patty!

Hmm, I think the sock weight will be a bit heavy. But swatch it and see if it works for you.

Also, check out WEBS.com for their Valley Yarns 2/14 Alpaca Silk laceweight. Very affordable and lots of colors, in cones of 1,736 yards, which is plenty for the shawl. For a bit more, they have hand-dyed version of the same with less yardage--I don't think a single cone of the hand-dyed with 865 yards will quite make the shawl.

See also Knitpicks.com for four laceweight options. For $10-$20 (depending on which you choose), you can get more than enough to make the shawl (each comes in 440-yard hanks. I would get three hanks.)

Both WEBS and Knitpicks are pretty speedy with shipping, so you can get started soon!

Hope that helps! I do think you'll be happiest working in laceweight!

My shawl is coming along! I have one row that has really long loops--must have hit a "loose" moment when I was doing a forward pass. I'm trying to decide whether to go back or just embrace a bit of looseness.

Best,

Marcy

Not Ranked
Posts 3
katherine919 wrote
on Feb 21, 2011 11:06 AM

I went to the beach on the weekend(husband ran a marathon) and got a good bit done. I will take a photo soon. There were some problems starting and keeping track but I am more comfortable with the laceweight yarn now. I also got blocking wires in the mail so I am ready to get it done!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Evie T. wrote
on Feb 22, 2011 10:23 AM

Thanks for mentioning about KnitPicks.  I ordered some laceweight baby alpaca yarn in a beautiful green heathered color, I just liked the color better than their lace/wool blends.  After a couple of rip-outs, I think I have the first part figured out, now comes the lace section!  I enjoy these CALs, I've learned so much from all the information.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
mannykim wrote
on Feb 24, 2011 8:32 AM

I actually started on my Cool Wave Shawl  before Christmas, and was very proud of myself that I was going to use up some yarn from my stash instead of going out and purchasing new yarn... Well... I kept running out of yarn, and had to buy more.  Dang.  (The first few balls were on clearance at HL.)

I bought 6 more from Joann.com, then when that ran out... I found them on sale from Mary Maxim.  They just arrived in the mail, so I will be finishing up the neck shaping and then the edging.  I will post pictures soon.

FYI - I am using Patons Angora Bamboo in Flamenco.  It's a tad heavier, but boy is it soft!  :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Feb 24, 2011 9:41 PM

I'm using Noro Sekku in a pink/green/brown color combo.  For hook I'm using a 4mm Denise interchangeable.  Now if i can keep my greyhound away from the project until I finish it would be great.  I swear that dog knows what Noro packaging is like because the only yarn she bothers is Noro, she leaves all the others alone.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
maggie@26 wrote
on Feb 25, 2011 1:21 PM

I just found this CAL, and am interested, but was wondering if it was worth joining so late in the game?  Does it look like everyone is going to be able to wrap up by 2-28 as planned?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 101
pattyb1 wrote
on Feb 26, 2011 7:17 AM

I haven't started either......but keep checking the blogs for what yarn  everyone is using or any trouble spots.  I think it will be smooth hooking once I get going, I'm thinking of using this wrap during next winter weddings I will be attending.  Don't give it up too soon.

Patty

Make everyday a day to Crochet!

Patty

Not Ranked
Posts 4
NancyB@42 wrote
on Feb 26, 2011 11:24 AM

I started a swatch with Misti Alpaca laceweight and an H hook (the closest to a G available in my community), but couldn't see the stitches very well (yarn too hairy, I thought), so I ordered a G hook and switched to white Zephyr wool-silk laceweight. I also made a Tunisian dishcloth while waiting for the G hook to arrive, just to practice the Tunisian method. Now, I've started a new swatch, but am not really enjoying working with the laceweight yarn, so I'm thinking of bagging the project altogether. Maybe I'll make a Tunisian scarf with DK weight yarn instead.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 68
JoM wrote
on Feb 26, 2011 10:44 PM

I've put this one on hold for a while myself. I'm having a bout of stiffness in my fingers, and working with the laceweight yarn makes it worse. But I'm still going to learn Tunisian this year!

Jo

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Evie T. wrote
on Feb 27, 2011 3:35 PM

I'm finding working the lace pattern with the lace weight yarn rather frustrating.   I haven't done any Tunisian crocheting before but practiced several times doing the lace section pattern with a heavier weight yarn and am able to do it but when I try with the beautiful lace weight yarn, it kind of ends up not so good after several rows.  Will keep practicing but after chaining 150 three times and ripping it out, I'm only practicing on 30 chains! 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
mannykim wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 6:18 AM

I wouldn't imagine everyone will finish by today (2/28) - it seems like we just got started!!!  I would imagine it would be the end of March, but... I'm not the leader/moderator/person who knows!  Confused

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS