The Official Cool Wave Shawl Crochet-Along

This post has 42 Replies | 17 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
maggie@26 wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 9:39 AM

Well, as long as several are still working, I will go ahead and plan to start.  Checked my stash though, and I'm going to have to order yarn.  Will probably be a few days before I can start on the pattern.  I have worked with Tunisian before, so at least have that much of a start.  thanks for the input.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 428
Marcy Smith wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 10:24 AM

Yes, yes, yes, people! We are extending this Crochet-Along through March!

I find that this is, indeed, very addictive--but it IS laceweight, so it takes a while. And I don't know about you, but I've had a few other crochet projects creep in along the way.

So, let's keep crocheting this shawl through March. It's a great way to embrace National Crochet Month!

Also, the CrochetMe bloggers will be celebrating National Crochet Month by blogging every day of the month. See you on the blogs!

Best,

Marcy

Not Ranked
Posts 3
katherine919 wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 11:36 AM

I am still here, working away very slowly. I have picked up more than 50 chains and it still looks so tiny, I am thinking I will need to give it to my 6 year old great-niece! ;-) My other Tunisian project is chunky wool with a size S(yes, S!) carved wood hook, very easy work!

Laceweight is a challenge but I am enjoying this and will check on how to post a photo when I get a few more rows done. Thanks for keeping it open, Marcy!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
sherylmeans wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 4:49 PM

To Evie and anyone else struggling with the lace weight, I feel your pain.  I found it quite fiddly to work with until I had completed several rows and had some fabric for weight.  The project will look very small and scrunched up until blocked.  A full wet block will be best for this project so that all the stitches relax and can be coaxed into place.  I always find that step the try magic of lace work.

Please feel free to ask any specific questions you might have.  The decreases and neck shaping caused some folks to get stuck.  

I dug mine out the other day and am glad this has been extended because I haven't gotten to work on it yet.  

Happy Tunisian Crocheting all!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
AnnieLon wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 7:13 PM

I just found this CAL....I started my shawl on the 2nd of March but am using a bigger hook (4.5mm so my tension is different) and 3ply mohair. I have raced away wuith this and love how it's crocheting up!

I have used FSC for the starting chain and this has made it more stretchy... as when I did the chain it was just too tight even when I used a 6mmm hook!     ( I have also used less stitches too- 110 tss)

Here is what I've done so far (yesterday afternoon) plus a lot more last night as it is at least 26" wide, and I am up to the neck shapings.

I am having difficulty with the neck shapings now I really can't work out the wording for the pattern in the 2nd row

"Row 2: Work row 2 of lace patt, working last tss in last row of Row 1.

Rep Rows 1-2 two more times- 147tss"

- I can't work out how that will decrease a stitch every 2nd row so that over 6 rows one gets a decrease of 3 sts (from 150 to 147) 

....also the outer edge decreases, if one folows the pattern the eyelets don't seem to line up because of the Tss2tog? It seems like another tss needs to be added in after the tss2tog.

Is it just me ????

Some advice would be greatly appreciated!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
AnnieLon wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 7:31 PM

Thank you for organising this CAL

The info you have given has helped!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
maggie@26 wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 2:00 PM

I am so excited, I finally got my yarn!!  I decided to go with the shimmer spice from knitpicks.  It is gorgeous!  Am needing some input from those that are a little further along.  I would like to make the shawl a little narrower, but the pattern reads to me to make a triangle, so I'm thinking that's not possible.  Anyone have any ideas on making it a little narrower?  Will starting with a shorter chain work?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
AnnieLon wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 2:51 PM

Your yarn sounds lovely...

Re your question can you make it narrower?

Yes, start with fewer chains but an odd number,

or when you get your desired width, undo the chains that you don't need (I did this) and it is working fine. I ended also on a second row of the pattern. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
AnnieLon wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 3:01 PM

OOOPS- Sorry, I didn't mean "ended" I meant start the neck decreases at that point- sorry for confusing you.

The shawl ends up an interesting geometric shape.

I can't seem to edit my posts when I discover I have made a mistake, after I have posted.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 101
pattyb1 wrote
on Jun 15, 2011 4:56 PM

Greetings to all,

Better late than never, I just started this shawl and wondered if anyone posted finished pictures?

Make everyday a day to Crochet!

Patty

Not Ranked
Posts 7
sherylmeans wrote
on Jun 16, 2011 9:04 AM

Hello Cool Waves CAL folks -

I apologize for confusion and issues with the pattern regarding the neck shaping and edge decreases.  I have answered some of you one on one, but for the rest I have worked up a new swatch and have rewritten the instructions in a clearer manner.  I also found errors, which I have corrected.

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000187 EndHTML:0000006439 StartFragment:0000003282 EndFragment:0000006403 SourceURL:file://localhost/Users/sherylmeans/Documents/Cool%20Waves%20Errata.doc

Cool Waves Errata

1.  Work 1 tss before beginning stitch pattern on all rows.

2. When only 1 ch remains to be worked, this row should be row 1 of the lace pattern.  If not, work 1 additional row.

3.  Neck shaping will be worked on row 2 of lace pattern.  There is no change in stitch count at this point.

4.  Neck shaping rows should read:

a.  Beginning with row 2 of lace pattern, work to last stitch.  Instead of working

into last stitch of current row, work into last stitch of previous row.  RetP.

b.     Work row 1 of lace pattern as written.

c.     Repeat these steps 2 times more.

The needle in this photo indicates placement of last stitch of this fwd pass row.

1. To work edge decreases:
    1. Row 1 of lace pattern: tss in first st, tss2tog, then resume yo tss2tog to end of row.
    2. Row 2 of lace pattern: tss2tog, then resume row 2 stitch pattern
    3. Repeat as indicated in pattern.

Once again, I am sorry for the confusion.  Please contact me directly through Ravelry for further issues, I will be happy to help.

Sheryl

Not Ranked
Posts 3
mrdees wrote
on Mar 5, 2012 2:40 PM

Thank you for organising this CAL The info you have given has helped!

|metformin 250 alcohol metformin 1000 mg metformin generic metformin.
Not Ranked
Posts 5
AnnieLon wrote
on Mar 8, 2012 5:41 PM

Nearly a year later I found your post, sorry.

I finished my shawl about April  last year and made quite a few changes- I made it a triangle shape, then added a crocheted edging.

I have explained it on my Ravelry page (I have the same username with Ravelry)

Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous  1 2 3 | RSS