OFFICIAL SIDNEY'S SIDEWAYS SOCKS CAL

This post has 726 Replies | 37 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 127
Sarah Read wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 6:08 AM

Let's make some great crochet socks together!

Here is the schedule for the Sydney's Sideways Socks CAL:
Today-March 10th: Order yarn and the pattern.
March 10th-March 20th: Get gauge!
March 20th-April 1st: Complete the increase section.
April 1st-April 20th: Complete the even section.
April 20th-May 1st: Complete the decrease section.
May 1st-May 7th: Finishing.
(Done in time for Mother's Day!)

This is assuming you are working the socks two-at-a-time, which I recommend for a number of reasons: Second Sock Syndrome (it's a dangerous thing), consistent gauge, and consistency in any changes you need to make to the pattern to accommodate your feet.

Here's what you will need:

2 skeins of
Wisdom Yarns Poems Sock, distributed by Universal Yarn. From personal experience, I do not recommend yarn substitution on this project. I got halfway through one sock and had to frog it three times while trying to use a substitute yarn. Even though I got gauge on a small swatch, the Poems Socks has a unique construction (a single with some mild thick-and-thin, much like handspun) that I haven't encountered in any other commercial yarn. Besides, it is scrumptious and not too pricey for the yardage (and the colors, swoon).

A 2.5 mm hook, or the size needed to obtain gauge (for me, that is 2.75 mm).

A row counter (to save your sanity).

A tape measure (for checking gauge).

A yarn needle (for weaving in ends).

A handful of stitch markers (the pattern calls for one, which is the only one that is necessary, but I recommend at least three per sock, unless you live in a world where you can count to 100 without being interrupted...).

The pattern, of course, which can be found in our Accessories 2010 Special Issue, available in the Interweave Store in either
magazine (until it sells out) or digital form.

I'm really looking forward to this!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ManfaMae wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 8:36 AM

What is the skill level for this pattern?  I've never made socks before, so I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be too advanced for me before buying all the yarn and the pattern.

Thanks,

Samantha

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
jlwcrochet wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 8:40 AM

Hi, my name is Jane. I LOVE this idea of working a project together and posting here. I have never been involved in something like this and believe I would enjoy it! My problem with this project is the material. You do not recommend substituting the yarn and both my daughter and myself (one or both of which I would wish to make the socks for) are allergic to wool. Therefore, I will need to pass on this project but wanted to post here that I hope there will be a new one when you have completed this! Thanks.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Mar 3, 2011 8:56 AM

I've made several pairs of socks using this pattern; it's fun and easy. This is the best crochet sock pattern I've come accross because the stretch is in the correct direction (side ways) versus traditional crochet sock patterns (top to bottom or bottom to top) where the stretch doesn't occur where it's needed, in the width.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
tadajubert wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 9:26 AM

I have made 2 pair of socks with this pattern with a substituted yarn with no problems.  I love handmaid socks, but knitting them takes so long.  This pattern is perfect as it works up quickly and stretches in the correct direction.  I may never knit socks again! Give it a try!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
oedalis wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 9:32 AM

Sarah Read:

This is assuming you are working the socks two-at-a-time

There is a method for crocheting two socks simultaneously? I thought only knitters got to have that kind of fun. Someone needs to tell me about this magic method asap!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
LisaB@15 wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 9:34 AM

Thanks for your post about yarn substitution.  I was considering joining this CAL until I read that substitutions weren't recommended.  The Poems Sock yarn would cost $38.00 plus tax per pair which I consider to be "too pricey" for me.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
LisaB@15 wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 9:38 AM

There is no magic to crocheting two socks simultaneously.  You set one aside and start on the second one until you reach the same row as the first.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
jlwcrochet wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 9:44 AM

May I ask what you substituted with? I really would like to try this. The sideways stretch is a big plus!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Grandma Beth wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 10:01 AM

I am interested also.  I have just completed my first crocheted sock using "Crochet Heart & Sole Socks" pattern by Alison Grenier.  I now understand what you are saying about the adjustment in the width.  However, I am determined to make the second one.  And will try to make the adjustment to the width.  To me this is a learning process.  I too, feel $38 for one pair of socks is pricey, so would like to try something less costly.  I do like your choice of colors.  I want something colorful and jazzy.  But count me in!  I'll check back later to see  if anyone suggests another yarn. 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
LuC wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 10:15 AM

Jane,

I made these socks using a sock yarn from Hobby Lobby -- think it was called Wool-Ease.  I used a size smaller hook, but I don't know if that's 'cause I crochet loose or 'cause of the yarn.   I LOVE them!! They're so warm & toasty.  I have done socks using I Love This Cotton, but they come out real thick & more like slipper socks.  I would suggest a fingering yarn if you have wool allergies.  But be sure to check the gauge. Once you make these you won't want to do any other pattern.

LuAnne

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
jlwcrochet wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 10:23 AM

Thanks I have a Hobby Lobby near by I will check it out!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Hununu wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 10:35 AM

I am thinking of giving this a try. I have tried to crochet socks from the top down but didn't finish one because I didn't like the way they looked. Then I tried knitting but I am still too new at that (and boy is it hard for me to correct knitting mistakes!).

I'm off to see about the yarn now...

Mary

Not Ranked
Posts 1
kramsden3 wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 10:50 AM

Do we have to 'order' the pattern or is it free?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 45
Tori11 wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 10:52 AM

I have been trying to do this pattern, one at a time, which may be part of my problem.  I was to the point where I was going to rip out the whole thing and do something different with my yarn.  I think I am going to indeed rip it out and start over, but I am going to try to go along with this.  This is going to be interesting.

Page 1 of 49 (727 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS