OFFICIAL SIDNEY'S SIDEWAYS SOCKS CAL

This post has 726 Replies | 37 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
Jpr54_1 wrote
on Mar 4, 2011 7:12 AM

I purchased download of  magazine and wisdom yarns poems sock yarn(open seas@16.95 each on ebay from yarnbow-

all set- will read instructions this weekend-

Not Ranked
Posts 1
aurlin wrote
on Mar 4, 2011 12:14 PM

This is also my concern. I have the pattern, but when I looked into the yarn (substitutions not recommended), I was extremely disappointed to find out that I would be making a $40 pair of socks; I just can't justify that. The crochet-along is such a great idea, and I'm frustrated to learn that the editors are making this kind of assumption about reasonable prices on behalf of a broad-based audience. Please choose something that is a more reasonable investment next time, and not such a luxury!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
bjgunter wrote
on Mar 4, 2011 12:18 PM

I'm starting to crochet again after not doing it for almost 30 years. It comes back, like riding a bicycle! I've never crocheted socks before and I was a little hesitant at first, but I'm in. I'm searching for a substitute yarn because the Poems yarn is way outside my budget, and I just can't justify a $38 pair of socks.

I am also having a hard time finding a 2.5mm (C?) hook. I found a 2.75 (C/2) hook but 2.5 isn't anywhere I've looked.

Also, could someone explain what the significance of yardage is? Does it matter as much as the number of ounces a ball of yarn weighs, which is what I've always just gone by. I don't really understand how yardage matters if you have the correct number of ounces and type of yarn (worsted, fingering, etc.). In looking for a substitute yarn, should I calculate by the ounces or the yardage?

Thanks to whomever responds to this.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
mbf123 wrote
on Mar 4, 2011 2:24 PM

I'm working on my gauge swatch, and it's coming out a little large.  I just read this post about the size of the C hooks, and I realized that the one I have is 2.75 mm also - not the 2.5 recommended in the pattern.  Does anyone have a source for 2.5mm size C hooks? 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
veasterlund wrote
on Mar 4, 2011 3:23 PM

I just ordered one on ebay at the yarnbow store.  But it cost me $12.00!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 101
HumorMe wrote
on Mar 4, 2011 4:55 PM

My crochet buddy and I are both going to try this one.  I have crocheted socks before, but they did not fit as nicely as knitted ones, so I'm excited to see how this fits  – it just makes sense that it would fit better since the stretch is sideways.  YIPPEEE

Not Ranked
Posts 9
bjgunter wrote
on Mar 4, 2011 8:10 PM

I just found the 2.5mm hook at Fabric.com and possibly the yarn I'll be using. They are running a 15% off sale for National Craft Month and it ends 3/8/11.

Look on the left side of the home page and you'll see a link for Knitting and Crochet. Practically everything is on sale. The hook is a Clover Aluminum Crochet Hook Size C-2.5mm, Item No. CNC-204 selling for $2.13 until the 8th. The yarn I found is Regia 4 Ply Hand- Dye Effect Yarn, fingering weight. It's 70% Superwash Wool/25% Nylon/5% Acrylic. I hope the acrylic won't matter. Yarn balls are 100/grams and 462 yards. It normally sells for $14.95, on sale for $5.93 until 3/8/11. The colors are sutler, but I prefer that. Since this is my first attempt at making socks, I didn't want to spend a lot on a practice piece in case it turns out to be a disaster.

I'm going to consider yarn from Knit Picks at some point because the colors are so beautiful, but probably not for this project.

Hope this helps anyone who is still trying to find the materials.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 45
Tori11 wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 5:30 AM

Good morning.  I am just getting back into crochet seriously as well, and there are so many sites dedicated to crochet out there.  The Crochet Liberation Front is one of the best that I have seen.   Fearless Leader could explain a lot better but I will try.  In checking gauge, and in making substitutions of yarn, the yardage is just as important as the ounces.  Fearless Leader talks about WPI, wraps per inch, and how, just because two balls weigh the same, doesn't mean the length is the same, and sometimes the length is what you need.  Think about it this way, a 5 ounce ball of worsted weight (afghan yarn) isn't going to be the same length as a 5 ounce ball of sock yarn  (REALLY skinny yarn).  I highly recommend the CLF website if you are looking for info on crochet.  She is absolutely wonderful and forthcoming with info on yarns and crochet stuff.  I hope this helps a little bit.  Looking forward to the CAL.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Grandma Beth wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 8:05 AM

Thanks for the information.  I just checked my C hook by Boye.  It does not have any other marking other than C but using the needle gauge I have I think it is a 2.75, so I will be needing to order a 2.5 just in case.  Will know more after I do a test swatch.  I also liked the Regia and am now debating between the Felicia fingering self striping yarn at Knit Picks and the Regia.  I'm looking forward to this experience, as I have never done a CAL before. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 101
HumorMe wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 8:46 AM

My Clover size B hook fits perfectly in the 2.5mm hole in my hook gauge, so I'm going to start with that one.  I usually knit and crochet pretty true to gauge, so hope it will be the right size.  If not, I'll go to a size C, or downsize to a steel hook if necessary.  Still have not decided on my yarn yet, I have some sock yarn already but it is not the recommended brand but the content is the same - I'll gauge it and see what happens.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
bjgunter wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 11:12 AM

Thanks for the information. I know there are a lot of sites for crochet out there, but I didn't know about the CLF. I will definitely check it out. Last time I crocheted I had to rely on yarn shops and books for crochet knowledge. I had no computer and the Internet wasn't the mainstream as it is now.Smile I'm looking forward to the CAL, too. I have to hustle and finally decide on my yarn and get the hook. Husband's payday isn't until Tuesday, so I may not be able to order anything until then.

Beverly Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 9
bjgunter wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 11:23 AM

Grandma Beth, I'm glad I could help. I did a Google search for the hook and that's how I found Fabric.com. I thought it was just a sewing website, and was surprised to find a whole knitting and crocheting section. I was looking at all the fingering yarns at Knit Picks, too, but most of the yarn I liked was in hanks but I've never worked with hanks before, and I don't have an easy way to get it into a ball. I didn't want to hassle with it or add to my learning curve for this project. I liked the Chroma a lot, but the color I liked the best won't be in until 3/31/11 and I didn't want to spend money on a second less favorite choice. Plus the price on the Regia was a lot better!

Beverly Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mummaknits wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 4:41 PM

I've never joined a CAL before, but this is perfect - my husband has been after a pair of home made socks for years, but I can't get my head (or fingers) around knitted ones.  Maybe I'll manage crocheted ones! 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
PamF wrote
on Mar 6, 2011 1:33 PM

would you please tell us what yarn you substituted with..thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 2
PamF wrote
on Mar 6, 2011 1:33 PM

would you please tell us what yarn you substituted with..thanks

Page 3 of 49 (727 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS