OFFICIAL SIDNEY'S SIDEWAYS SOCKS CAL

This post has 726 Replies | 37 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
pickos wrote
on Mar 6, 2011 3:02 PM

I´m in! It was love at first sight when I saw these socks so I definetely have to do this :)

I´ve got the pattern and I´m waiting for my yarn to arrive. This will be so fun!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
on Mar 6, 2011 4:34 PM

I am in! I just purchased the pattern, and am trying to decide what kind of yarn to use. I have made a couple pairs of socks recently, some with Hobby Lobby''s I love this cotton, and some with baby yarn. I like the cotton as I like a little bit thicker sock, but will try guaging both and see what I think. Considering Red Heart Heart and Soul, and believe someone said they had made this using that. Can't wait to get started!

Teri

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
JoyfulGramma wrote
on Mar 7, 2011 6:10 AM

Hi! I have never crocheted sox but really want to try my hand(s) at this....When you say to crochet two sox at a time...do you mean on circular needles??? Help! I want to be ready....Do you supply the pattern? I am pretty green at this. thanks for your help!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
Jpr54_1 wrote
on Mar 7, 2011 10:31 AM

I received my yarn from yarnbow today-

the yarn is beautiful -now i have to find the crochet hook

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Mar 7, 2011 11:12 AM

I'm looking forward to this.  I've never done a community crochet-along.  I have my yarn and downloaded the pattern.  I'm an experienced crocheter but have never done socks.  May try a less expensive yarn for the first pair.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
LeighS2010 wrote
on Mar 7, 2011 12:16 PM

Received my Poems yarn and Addi Swing Crochet hook today (it is the 2.5 mm)...hook was obscenely

expensive ($13.50) but have just completed my swatch and it is just about perfect...yarn color is gorgeous (selected girly girl color)

one question about gauge...my rows are perfect 9 rows to each inch...my stitches are a bit off...I am getting about

4-1/4 inches to 24 sts...dont think this will affect the finished sock too much because of the construction (side to side)

so close I think changing the hook will not help...any suggestions...should I adjust the number of stitches?

Thanks!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 59
kdusza wrote
on Mar 7, 2011 1:51 PM

I read about this CAL last week, already have the magazine, and then found out my home town was sponsoring the Yarn Crawl that very weekend, so out I went to join in the fun. My LYS was offering a 10% storewide discount so I was able to purchase the Poems yarn, which I too find rather expensive. I am using the same color as the pattern indicates which does not photograph the gorgeous colors well at all, and I am bravely attempting to use one skein...because that's all the store had at the time in that color and I'm doing the small size. I have finished one sock in two days because I found it a very easy pattern (for experienced sock crocheters?).  I was worried about the size being large enough the whole time but it turned out exact.  I used a Susan Bates size C hook.  The only result I wasn't real keen about was the sides of the heel with the hdc's inc/dec's was a teeny bit sloppy fitting, but certainly not terrible looking. I do have skinny heels...and am way too much of a perfectionist.

I'm looking forward  to reading more comments and start my second sock.  Sorry, I just can't wait, this has got me chomping at the bit to finish before I lose my stitch tension in a mood swing!  This pattern is so different, very fun and fits great with the sideways stretch. I love the smooth toe also, no seams.

I'd be very interested in knowing how the yarn substitutes turn out for everyone too!  With the Poems yarn, I had to do a bit of what I call "finger spinning" to get the big wads that showed up once in while twisted into a thinner strand that wouldn't make a "puff" where I didn't want one.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Lisa@100 wrote
on Mar 7, 2011 5:06 PM

I am really excited to try this. I downloaded the pattern and now have the yarn. I am using the Wisdom poems socks yarn hoping that it will go easier for me. I bought mine from Webs and got a discount because I bought other yarn as well. I paid $14.36 a skein. I bought enough yarn for two pairs. If the first goes well I'll give it to my mom. Or maybe she'll get the second pair. Or maybe I'll keep both and make her something for Christmas. The yarns are beautiful. I picked Pulsar and Aurora Borealis. Now, on to the swatch!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 68
JoM wrote
on Mar 7, 2011 8:53 PM

@ kdusza- Thanks for the input about the Susan Bates hook. That's the one I thought  I was going to try for my swatch, but now I'm convinced.

@ JoyfulGramma- I've never done socks either, but two at a time, I believe, just means that you work on the first one to a point, mark your place, set it down and work on the second one. That's how I'm proceeding anyway. The pattern was in Interweave Crochet  Accessories Special Issue 2010 from last Fall. It may still be available at your local yarn store. Otherwise, you can get the pattern on line. Try interweavecrochet.com

@ ChristmasKitten- glad you were able to figure out the pattern on the Ultimate Socks! So we'll be doing this one together!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
on Mar 8, 2011 7:11 AM

@JoM actually I never did figure out the ultimate socks. I had a major problem with the heal, but I did another pattern from this site by Pam and then one from a book that I had purchased. I am looking very forward to doing these, however, my tension is very tight. I have found in the other sock patterns that I have made that I needed to go up at least 2 hook sizes. I am trying to figure out a way to get my tension looser so that I can hopefully get closer to what a pattern calls for. Any hints here? Also when you swatch how big of a piece do you make? Since this patterns guage calls for 24 stitches and 36 rows is that what I would make my swatch? I have been crocheting for many years, but never had much need for guage as all I've ever really made are afghans. Any help will be appreciated!

Teri

Not Ranked
Posts 2
khartquilt wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 8:34 AM

I have made lots of slippers and would love to make a pair of socks that I can actually wear.

I have started and restarted this sock pattern. Maybe I am counting wrong. Maybe I am reading it wrong. Would it be possible for some one to post a photo of their progress? (seeing an sample really helps) Maybe start with the first 5 to 10 rounds/rows. Mine looks a little wonky.

I have a question totally off this subject. I am looking for an afghan pattern that stitches from corner to corner. Can someone point me in the correct direction?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 45
Tori11 wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 10:11 AM

My mother in law used to make an afghan like that.  I would be willing to bet you could find what you are looking for on www.crochetpatterncentral.com.  They are jam packed with all kinds of patterns, stuff you didn't even know you were looking for.  Check 'em out.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
LeighS2010 wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 10:12 AM

Hi i posted to the CAL...but it seems people post but do not reply...so since you have made

these before, I thought i would ask you direct.  I swatched for gauge...my rows are on exactly but my

stitches (24) are a bit bigger...instead of 4" it is 4-1/4"  ...not off enough to change the hook.  Do you

think it will matter much...especially since that extra will only make the sock longer if I understand the

construction properly..

Could use your thoughts since you are experienced with the pattern

Thanks

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
pickos wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 10:50 AM

My favorite place to look for patterns is Ravelry.com :)

Not Ranked
Posts 6
jlmomok wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 11:00 AM

I've ordered my yarn and found several possible hooks--have to check gauge.  I substituted the yarn for Stroll Tonal Sock Yarn.  It's almost exactly the same yardage and was 1/2 the price. 

I've never made socks before, but much prefer crochet to knit, so I hope these will be great. I'm excited to try. 

I'm hoping we will be able to get help: I've read ahead into the pattern and am already confused!  Maybe it'll be easier with the work in hand.

I have a question:  Is our method of posting to reply to Sarah's initial message?  Can't find any prompt for posting. 

Page 4 of 49 (727 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS