Official Moth Wings Shrug Crochet-Along

This post has 72 Replies | 20 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Dawmre wrote
on Apr 17, 2011 2:16 PM

Hi---I am just learning to crochet so it is taking me a while to get gauge.  I am wondering how many squares I'm supposed to make to get the 4 3/4".  Is it 4 squares? Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Dawmre wrote
on Apr 17, 2011 2:28 PM

Also---when you are making squares for gauge do you make 1 of the "first full motif" and the others "subsequent"?  Thanks!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,192
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Apr 18, 2011 9:26 AM

Hi Dawmre! Yes, you will work 1 "first full motif" and then the other "subsequent" motifs. The gauge measures a square of 4 motifs.

Best wishes,

Toni

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Dawmre wrote
on Apr 19, 2011 12:24 PM

Toni--- I don't understand what the base row of motifs is that we are supposed to do this week. Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,192
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Apr 19, 2011 4:16 PM

Dawmre—The base row is the row of 10 or 14 (depending on which size you are making) squares that are at the bottom or hem of the shrug. We will build the right and left fronts and the back off of this base. Remember that the triangle motifs are added after all of the square motifs have been made.

The shrug I am making needs to be just a few inches longer in the back, so I am working an extra base row. I am crocheting 8 squares and then will add the layer of 10 square centered on top of the eight. This will mean I will have 4 triangle motifs at the base instead of 2.

Does that answer your question?

Best wishes,

Toni

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Dawmre wrote
on Apr 19, 2011 9:14 PM

Toni,

It does, thank you.  So, we join the motifs as we go, correct?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,192
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Apr 19, 2011 9:19 PM

Yes, the motifs are joined as they go. I found that my first row was kind of crumpled looking. I will admit I was a little worried. But now as I am adding a second row it is looking fabulous! Love this pattern! Though it does make my brain think to join the motifs on 2 sides. LOL!

I do have one correction on the pattern though. The stitch diagram is correct.

Subsequent Full Motifs

Rnd 4 (joining rnd): Sl st in first ch-3 sp, ch 1, sc in same sp, [ch 3, sc in next ch-3 sp] 2 times....

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on Apr 19, 2011 11:54 PM

I have some leftover yarn from a shawl.  Do you think this will work?  Lace Weight - 70% Baby Alpaca, 30% Silk  I know it isn't the cotton specified...

Debi

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,192
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 10:11 AM

Debi—That sounds like beautiful yarn. Using it instead of the cotton could change the look of the motifs as your yarn has more drape. That being said it should work. Work up a couple of motifs to check for gauge and see if you like how the motifs look. Please let us know what you discover. I would love to know. You now have me thinking about some beautiful, navy blue, 100% silk I have at home.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
skyppr84 wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 11:19 AM

I was wondering if the instructions for the subsequent motifs were correct. I have 9 squares joined together plus 2 for the base row (it was more comfortable for me to start with the 9-square block than with the base row alone) using the instructions as they were written. It still seems to work, though I may be missing a problem visible to someone more experienced. I can upload a picture of the right front block + 2 base row squares if you would like to see.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,192
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 1:32 PM

I am starting my second row and I have found one error in the joining row. You should begin the row by slip stitching in the first ch-3 space. The stitch diagram is correct. I would love to see your progress though. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,192
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Apr 22, 2011 12:44 PM

If you need help with joining the motifs, I just posted a blog complete with pictures of the process. I love this technique!

http://www.crochetme.com/blogs/toni_rexroat/archive/2011/04/20/joining-motifs-as-you-go-the-moth-wings-shrug.aspx

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
skyppr84 wrote
on Apr 25, 2011 4:40 PM

It took me a while to figure out, but I have two images uploaded of what I have done so far.

It's actually the full base row and the right front, but the base row is long so the pictures only show part of it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,192
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 1:48 PM

Hi all,

I just recieved this note from Mimi Alelis. If you are having difficulty with the joining, perhaps this will make it clearer.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi Toni,

Just noticed that there's a difference in the way some crocheters joined motifs, resulting in a noticeable joining.

What I did was to always work on the right side of the motifs. So when doing the slip stitch the hook is inserted on the top (right side), and not on the bottom (wrong side) of the adjacent motif.

Hope this helps. 

thanks,

Mimi

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,192
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 1:50 PM

I love the way your shrug is turning out skyppr84! Blocking will smooth it out a bit and the color is gorgeous! I can't wait to see if finished.

Page 3 of 5 (73 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS