Official Moth Wings Shrug Crochet-Along

This post has 72 Replies | 20 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 8:59 PM

I'm having trouble figuring out which side is the Right Side, especially when I put the project down.  Can anyone give me some pointers?

When you are crocheting, is the right side toward you?

If so, then it seems if I put right sides together, and I am crocheting right to left, my WM is away from me and my AM is toward me and I am now working my hook from back to front?

Sounds like I have things backwards!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
susanadelia wrote
on Apr 27, 2011 6:15 AM

I started with the gauge swatch of 4 motifs, and then I started adding the base row off of that.  I'm about 10 motifs in now, so my project looks like a big long "L."  If I keep the L going the same direction everytime, then I know what the RS is.  When I put it down, I fold everything up so that the right sides of the motifs are together everytime so I can easily remember that when I unfold it.

When I'm adding motifs, the RS of my AM piece is on my lap facing the ceiling, and the right side of my WM is facing me as I work it.  When I get to the joining part, I hold the pieces side-by-side (edge to edge) and join them together.

I hope that helps, it's hard to put in writing!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
skyppr84 wrote
on Apr 27, 2011 8:20 AM

There are a couple things I notice on mine. Like the right side is more bumpy/more detailed, and the wrong side is smoother.

When I'm making a new motif, I make sure the tail on the 8ch ring is on the back side when I complete the first row (I include the weaving in of this while I'm crocheting, so I hold the tail like it's part of the chain and crochet around it.

And if all else fails, I put a stitch marker through part of a dc so that it only shows on the right side.

Sometimes it does get confusing, but just find something that works for you and keep in consistent. I only really do the first two things on this project because it's worked in the round, so all the detail is going to be on one side. If I'm working a project that requires turning (like a blanket) i do the dtitch marker technique.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on Apr 27, 2011 8:24 AM

Yes, I agree.  It is hard to put in writing.  I think I finally got my first four put together for the guage square.  I measure 6" without blocking. 

Hook:  I used E/4-3.50mm, if I got it right without my glasses.  I guess I picked that up because of the 4?  The pattern says 4 (2mm).  What don't I know about hook sizes?  Is there more than one size 4?  I thought there was just American (size 4) & metric (mm).

I was also having trouble trying to figure out where to put my hook, too.  When I go to put my hook in for the sl st in the 2nd ch  of 3 or 3rd ch of 5, I am supposed to pick up both of the top loops of the chain, right? 

Yarn/Tread:  Looking at the yarn/thread specs again, I am using 440 yds/50g, so mine is lighter, if not thinner than the 100% cotton.  Then I just realized I have 880 yds, but I am making the largest size, so I would need 1232 if it holds true to pattern (or more if I go longer or something).  When I made my shawl, I only used half my yarn.  I'm not sure if that was because of "me" or because it was intended that I should have done one more repeat or what.  I'm not sure I want to continue and end up with 2/3 of a shrug in this yarn!

Does anyone else have anything they are using that they recommend?  In the mean time, I will search online for (inexpensive) 100% mercerized cotton that is the right weight and doesn't have outrageous S&H.  I do like to be able to see the actual color and feel the yarn.  I won't get out of town for any fondling on until at least Saturday, then I would have to get my husband to agree to leave early so I can look!  Hmmm.  Wonder what the chances of that are?

Think I'll go back to the crochet thread for more practice.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on Apr 27, 2011 8:30 AM

I was looking at my tails and bumps as well. 

I liked the picture with the stitch markers.  I thought marking those chain 5s was a good idea.  Seems I have to stop and look for them.  I'm having a hard time counting to 5 or 6 for repeats, so having the ch 5 marked would help with the short term memory!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
gillian3719 wrote
on Apr 27, 2011 10:03 AM

Hi Debi, with crochet hooks, you want to pay attention to the mm measurement, so if the pattern is calling for 2 mm and you're using 3.5 mm, that's why your gauge is so big.

Also, when you're attaching the motifs and are putting your hook in for the sl st, you just grab one loop, since it's a chain.

I always look at my work from Rnd 1 when I'm trying to figure out RS.  The RS looks like clusters of chains (I think of them as columns of Vs), whereas the WS has horizontal bars.

good luck!

Debi J:

Hook:  I used E/4-3.50mm, if I got it right without my glasses.  I guess I picked that up because of the 4?  The pattern says 4 (2mm).  What don't I know about hook sizes?  Is there more than one size 4?  I thought there was just American (size 4) & metric (mm).

I was also having trouble trying to figure out where to put my hook, too.  When I go to put my hook in for the sl st in the 2nd ch  of 3 or 3rd ch of 5, I am supposed to pick up both of the top loops of the chain, right? 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
skyppr84 wrote
on Apr 27, 2011 11:15 AM

Honestly, I have been pulling the top two when joining, so that's why there are lines at all of my joins. I noticed this fairly early, but I also like it, so i'm not worried by it.

With the stitch markers, I'm fairly new and this is my first lacey project with thread, so i was having trouble finding the right chain in the ch-5 spaces. I've only marked the ones that are going to join at some point.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on May 1, 2011 8:23 AM

So how does how does superfine weight 1 cotton yarn compare to crochet thread?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Debi J wrote
on May 1, 2011 10:51 AM

From the Universal Yarn website, it looks to me like the Nazli Gelin Garden 308 yd/50g is a size 10 crochet thread that is labeled 0-Lace.  Their 1-Superfine is labeled as what looks like a size 5 crochet thread – 174 yds/50g, so that would be almost twice as “heavy”.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Toni Rexroat wrote
on May 5, 2011 10:06 AM

I have both fronts finished and have started on the back. But all of those loose ends are driving me nuts! So I momentarily paused to weave in loose ends. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 5
gillian3719 wrote
on May 5, 2011 10:11 AM

I've been weaving in ends on each motif as I finish them!   seeing all those loose ends stresses me out Big Smile  Plus, when I show people what I'm working on, it looks so clean!

I've been so busy so I've slowed down now.  I finished the right front before realizing that I should do the whole base row.  So now I've got that done too and am working on the left front.  I used the same color as the pattern, and I'm happy to say it's looking a lot like the picture!!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
susanadelia wrote
on May 6, 2011 4:09 AM

I need to start doing the ends.  What's the best way, generally, to weave in ends?  That is one part of my crocheting I still haven't gotten down yet.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
gillian3719 wrote
on May 6, 2011 11:49 AM

Using a tapestry needle (or any needle big enough to get the yarn through, and not so sharp that you're splitting the yarn), I have been working the outside end down the WS, through the kind of thicker parts where I've started each round.  Once I get to the middle, I weave the end through some of the loops making up the circle in the middle.  Try not to pull this one tight since it'll bunch up the motif.

For the inside end, I weave through the loops of the circle too, making sure to even up the gap that sometimes forms where you can still see your starting chain.  I tighten this one a bit to make the circle even and fairly tight.

Hope that made sense...it's a lot easier in my head than in words!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Toni Rexroat wrote
on May 16, 2011 10:12 AM

I finished the sleeves over the weekend and started the collar. Almost there! How is everyone else doing? Any questions?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
skyppr84 wrote
on May 17, 2011 6:41 PM

I just started the sleeves and just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. 

I have the first right sleeve square on. According to the pattern, one side ends with 4 ch-3 loops instead of 6. I am assuming this is right for shaping purposes. For the next square up, do I use the normal 6 ch-3 spaces, or the adjusted 4?

Thanks,

~Aiko

Page 4 of 5 (73 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS